Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Plantar Fasciitis, Anyone?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448098)

user92626 12-13-2012 11:56 AM

Plantar Fasciitis, Anyone??

Anyone developed planta fasciitis which is a heel pain? Do you know how you developed it and how you cured it? .

I dont' know whether mine came from tennis or cycling. The timing of it points to cycling, but the info indicates a tear might have been resulted from pronating, suprinating your foot which we do substantially in tennis.

Thanks, guys

treblings 12-13-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7061551)
Anyone developed planta fasciitis which is a heel pain? Do you know how you developed it and how you cured it? .

I dont' know whether mine came from tennis or cycling. The timing of it points to cycling, but the info indicates a tear might have been resulted from pronating, suprinating your foot which we do substantially in tennis.

Thanks, guys

the one thing that finally, after months of pain, worked for me was taping the sole of the foot. found that technique in īrunners worldī
the whole episode happened more than 15 years ago, so iīm uncertain on how-to do it

TCF 12-13-2012 12:27 PM

===================================

Chas Tennis 12-13-2012 12:32 PM

There have been some very good TW threads. Search - plantar fasciitis

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ntar+fasciitis

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=371446&page=2 See reply #38 for life style discussion.

I believe that life style issues can be very important. If much of what we do is done with the calves shortened they may become short & tight. Short & tight calves may contribute to problems in the linked muscle-tendon chain consisting of

1) Calf muscles
2) Achilles tendon
3) Achilles attachments
4) Plantar Fascia on the bottom of the foot. The most common site of plantar fasciitis is just in front of the heel (see Heelspur link in TW threads above).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fascia

Stretching tissue that is still injured(?) is very questionable. Most targeted exercises are intended for conditioning to reduce injury risk and not for physical therapy. That issue belongs with a Dr and physical therapist.

Be aware that there are two calf muscles, the Gastrocnemius and the Soleus. Separate stretches are required for each calf muscle. Search TW threads for Soleus stretch, etc.

ChipNCharge 12-13-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks, guys

Have you recently gained weight? I got PF after I had gained some weight. The PF went away after I lost the weight.

r2473 12-13-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Plantar Fasciitis, Anyone??

No thanks, I'll pass.

user92626 12-13-2012 02:17 PM

r2473, lol..you'r always hilarious!

ChipN,
Is it possible if you only gain like 5 lbs or less?

I also thought it was my old shoes so I changed them right away. Didn't help.

Thanks, guys.
I'm going to try to lose weight and stretch more.

I'm surprised that this isn't as common as TE. Tennis is also very hard on your feet, especially with only hardcourts available in the US.

SteveI 12-13-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7061608)
No thanks, I'll pass.

Had it... it was the worst... no thanks!!

user92626 12-13-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7061740)
Had it... it was the worst... no thanks!!

Can you share how it was the worst for you? What did you do to get over it?

Sumo 12-13-2012 03:25 PM

I've gotten it twice. Once during soccer season, once during rugby season.

The soccer episode wasn't too bad. Hurt like hell when I woke up in the morning or sat at my desk for a while, but went away with by walking around and I never missed any time. Eventually it just disappeared without me doing anything.

The one from rugby was awful. I couldn't walk at all in the morning, and started using a chair as a cane to get around the house. For this, I did a lot of stretching, rolled the arch of my foot over tennis balls, golf balls, frozen 20oz bottles, and massaged the area whenever I was sitting on the couch. This helped, but it never really went away until I had to play a game because we didn't have any subs. Warmed up without any problems, played the whole game expecting to be a cripple again in the morning, but woke up the next day and felt fine. Haven't had any problems since.

user92626 12-13-2012 05:06 PM

Mine has been going on for 5 weeks or so and some mornings I need to hop on one foot. Iwas hoping that one day it'd go away like yours did, Sumo.

In the last doubles I hit a crappy FH and I anticipated a short volley from opponent by slowly moving up. But he volleyed the ball deep behind me and I did a 360 turn on the injured foot to retrieve the shot.. Wow what a pain! It was like I walked on hot coal. :shock:

ollinger 12-13-2012 05:22 PM

Some cases are quite chronic. A colleague of my wife has been hobbled for several years by it, has a very affluent husband so she's been to all the the top experts in the NYC area and has had no luck making it better. I hope you've given up sports entirely while this is going on. More important still is what you wear on your feet the rest of the time -- workday shoes need to have soft crepe-like soles.

Qubax 12-13-2012 05:38 PM

I swear by SOLE inserts.

yoursole.com

they have some very good Plantar fasciitis reviews

dak95_00 12-13-2012 06:18 PM

I've had it on and off for nearly 10 years now and mostly on. Right now, I'm mostly pain free or the pain is very minimal so I don't notice it like when it was at its absolute worst last year at this time.

PF is an overuse injury. I got mine from the stress of running. I wish I would've just stopped all activity and rested back 10 years ago instead of aggravating it worse. TIME OFF IS THE BEST CURE!!!! To take time off, you'll also need to tape your heal/arch. There are many videos on youtube, etc that'll detail how to do it.

How did I become nearly pain free? I took time off. I wear custom orthotics and never walk barefoot except in the shower. I stretch often. This website saved me at my darkest hour with new stretches and more information: http://injuredrunner.com/injury_regi...t_plantars.htm

Good luck. Do it right now so you won't have to live with it much longer. Take time off. If it were me and I could go back 10 years, I'd gladly take 4-6 months off to save myself from 8 more years of agony! I dream of walking barefoot again but I know it'll never happen. Read that website above and follow the instructions.

Bobby Jr 12-13-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7061589)
Many times it is caused by tight calf muscles....which may seem hard to believe at first. I had a bout for a while. Cured it by becoming very diligent about stretching the calf....

There are also night boots available that hold the toes in the bent position...

This is basically the approach I used to get over my own PF > a dedicated, daily routine of stretching exercises, mostly for the calf muscles.

When I started I was having trouble walking in the mornings my feet hurt that much. Relief started to come within days of starting a stretching routine.

Re: night boots. I never tried them but I did shift down in my bed on a few occasions so my feet were flat against the end board. I actually seemed to help somewhat. I'd sometimes wake up and they'd still be flat against them.

NE1for10is? 12-13-2012 07:13 PM

Had it and got over it with all below, but it takes a while and requires patience and regular attention before it will go away:

-Professional deep tissue massage

-High quality orthotics fitted to your foot

-Regular and consistent stretching of hamstrings and calves:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5si3Pjmnddo

-Always use shoes that lace up to provide lateral support to the arch. Until it goes away, don't use flip-flops, loafers or any other shoe that doesn't lace up.

jdubbs 12-15-2012 09:06 AM

Custom insoles. Cost me like 400 bucks. Worth every penny.

Mike Hodge 12-15-2012 07:01 PM

Had it off and on since I turned 40ish. When I started playing tennis a few years ago, it really surged.

I recommend good insoles and a good stretching program --- not just the feet and calves, but the hamstrings low back and hips.

The more flexible you are, the more efficient you'll move, which should result in less wear and tear on your body. Bio-mechanics, IMO, can be a big part of PF.

WildVolley 12-15-2012 09:18 PM

Had it, but thankfully not too serious a case.

My technique for curing it involved changing shoes for a better fit, rest, stretching my calves, and wearing Crocs around until I could exercise my feet.

The big difference with what I did and orthodox advice is after the pain was mostly gone, I went barefoot as much as possible. I found that supportive shoes, much like a cast, weaken your feet and help contribute to PF by lifting the heel which doesn't allow full flexibility of the calve muscle. I've had no problems since. YMMV.

Povl Carstensen 12-16-2012 02:02 AM

I had 2 months of it around september, all gone now. I used a homemade J-shaped heel insert to relieve the area it originated from, stretches, and massage with a fysio type of ball (dont know what it is called). Also had to stop running and tennis. I do not know whether it would have gone away by itself, but probably these things sped up the recovery.