Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Gamesmanship or Crazy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448194)

rafafan20 12-14-2012 12:11 PM

Gamesmanship or Crazy

Was waiting for a guy who was a few minutes late to a match so I was practicing serves on the court we were supposed to meet up on. The guy I'm playing with walks onto the court. Instead of grabbing his racket he starts yelling at the people playing doubles next to us that they should have stopped their point to let him walk through and they had bad etiquette. That argument lasted about 2-3 minutes. I was worried what this guy was gonna do.

Then in warmups he almost exclusively hit drop shots the entire time. I'd feed a ball, he'd slice a drop shot. Or he would feed, i'd hit, and he'd hit a drop shot.

After that fiasco he actually was a pretty nice and normal guy. He didn't hit all drop shots and I ended up winning 3&1 and he was gracious.

So was it gamesmanship or is he nuts?

mikeler 12-14-2012 12:23 PM

Sounds like a nut job to me.

gmatheis 12-14-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7063385)
Top 5 of all time: 1. Nadal 2. Agassi 3. Roddick 4. Isner 5. Nole

And you have the balls to call that guy nuts then post a list like this ???

Here let me correct it for you.

Top 5 of all time: 1. Federer 2. Federer 3. Federer 4. Federer 5. Federer

:)

ok so maybe that guy does sound a little nutty.

IA-SteveB 12-14-2012 01:41 PM

There are lots of fruit cakes in tennis and you met another one. This sport has far more weird/uptight people than any other sport I have participated in.

sureshs 12-14-2012 01:47 PM

Another humble brag thread

Maui19 12-14-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7063519)
Another humble brag thread

Not all all. It was certainly curious behavior--I would have wanted some other opinions about it.

Big_Dangerous 12-14-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7063385)
Was waiting for a guy who was a few minutes late to a match so I was practicing serves on the court we were supposed to meet up on. The guy I'm playing with walks onto the court. Instead of grabbing his racket he starts yelling at the people playing doubles next to us that they should have stopped their point to let him walk through and they had bad etiquette. That argument lasted about 2-3 minutes. I was worried what this guy was gonna do.

Then in warmups he almost exclusively hit drop shots the entire time. I'd feed a ball, he'd slice a drop shot. Or he would feed, i'd hit, and he'd hit a drop shot.

After that fiasco he actually was a pretty nice and normal guy. He didn't hit all drop shots and I ended up winning 3&1 and he was gracious.

So was it gamesmanship or is he nuts?

Lol he sounds like more of an *******, than someone trying employ gamesmanship. I definitely played a guy who tried to use all the gamesmanship in the world. I played him last winter and because our division didn't have enough people in it, I ended up having to play him twice. He sliced every shot off both wings, never had a follow through or hit any top spin. He was really annoying to play against. I played him at his courts and he killed me like 1 and 3. So I played him again about a week later at my courts and thankfully I won in 3 sets, but I noticed just how hard he was trying with the gamesmanship. I remembered that when I lost to him he immediately said to me that I could serve first to start the match. So the second time around he tried it again and I said hey I started first last time, you go ahead and serve first this time. He seemed really skeptical, but he agreed. He would also take time to sit down on every change over.. Really annoying, like his way of the game down. I think you're only supposed to take like 2 minutes after odd games, and he would like take like 5 and then 7+ between sets... So anyway, I win the first set 6-3, and early in the second set I noticed that some people who had been playing on the courts next to us had just left. We were playing on the middle courts and on one side was a coach teaching lessons and the other had been two guys hitting around. So, I ask him if he wants to move to the empty court, this way out balls won't usually roll all the way over to where the coach is teaching a lesson. Initially he agrees so I grab my bag, and the he changes his mind and says no, let's stay here. So we play the second set and I lose it 3-6, after which point another lengthy sit down takes place. So as we're starting the 3rd set he tries to get me to serve first, but I remember distinctly that I served @ 3-5 in the second set and got broken. So I told him, I served the last game in the 2nd set and got broken, it's your serve. Again he seems really skeptical like I'm misleading him. Then just before we're about to start the 3rd set, he notices that the coach next to us just left so he finally suggests that we move over to that court....

Literally the most annoying person I've ever played against. He wasn't an ******* or unfriendly, it's just everything he did was seemingly some sort of gamesmanship. Like refusing to move courts because I suggested it, only once he suggested it was it okay... What the hell is that about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 7063512)
There are lots of fruit cakes in tennis and you met another one. This sport has far more weird/uptight people than any other sport I have participated in.

Oh hell yes, I'll agree with that 100%. Sometimes it makes me wish I played another sport so I don't have to deal with so many weird people...

rafafan20 12-14-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7063437)
And you have the balls to call that guy nuts then post a list like this ???

Here let me correct it for you.

Top 5 of all time: 1. Federer 2. Federer 3. Federer 4. Federer 5. Federer

:)

ok so maybe that guy does sound a little nutty.

Fed is the best of all time those just my 5 favorites

and not a humble brag i probably have 50 posts talking about how crappy my game is i just wanted outside opinion and this guy wasnt very good

rafafan20 12-14-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 7063692)
Lol he sounds like more of an *******, than someone trying employ gamesmanship. I definitely played a guy who tried to use all the gamesmanship in the world. I played him last winter and because our division didn't have enough people in it, I ended up having to play him twice. He sliced every shot off both wings, never had a follow through or hit any top spin. He was really annoying to play against. I played him at his courts and he killed me like 1 and 3. So I played him again about a week later at my courts and thankfully I won in 3 sets, but I noticed just how hard he was trying with the gamesmanship. I remembered that when I lost to him he immediately said to me that I could serve first to start the match. So the second time around he tried it again and I said hey I started first last time, you go ahead and serve first this time. He seemed really skeptical, but he agreed. He would also take time to sit down on every change over.. Really annoying, like his way of the game down. I think you're only supposed to take like 2 minutes after odd games, and he would like take like 5 and then 7+ between sets... So anyway, I win the first set 6-3, and early in the second set I noticed that some people who had been playing on the courts next to us had just left. We were playing on the middle courts and on one side was a coach teaching lessons and the other had been two guys hitting around. So, I ask him if he wants to move to the empty court, this way out balls won't usually roll all the way over to where the coach is teaching a lesson. Initially he agrees so I grab my bag, and the he changes his mind and says no, let's stay here. So we play the second set and I lose it 3-6, after which point another lengthy sit down takes place. So as we're starting the 3rd set he tries to get me to serve first, but I remember distinctly that I served @ 3-5 in the second set and got broken. So I told him, I served the last game in the 2nd set and got broken, it's your serve. Again he seems really skeptical like I'm misleading him. Then just before we're about to start the 3rd set, he notices that the coach next to us just left so he finally suggests that we move over to that court....

Literally the most annoying person I've ever played against. He wasn't an ******* or unfriendly, it's just everything he did was seemingly some sort of gamesmanship. Like refusing to move courts because I suggested it, only once he suggested it was it okay... What the hell is that about?

Oh hell yes, I'll agree with that 100%. Sometimes it makes me wish I played another sport so I don't have to deal with so many weird people...

There are extremes with tennis players. Either very friendly or completely weird it seems

mikeler 12-14-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7063773)
There are extremes with tennis players. Either very friendly or completely weird it seems

Rafa is big on gamesmanship. Sorry to bust your username bubble.

dyldore 12-14-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7063793)
Rafa is big on gamesmanship. Sorry to bust your username bubble.

You mean all the weird stuff he does pre-point/match?

mikeler 12-14-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyldore (Post 7063799)
You mean all the weird stuff he does pre-point/match?

Cheating on time is his big thing.

tennis tom 12-14-2012 07:10 PM

NUT! Why should anyone stop playing their point so HE can cross their court?--I don't get that one. How did you find him?

gmatheis 12-14-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7063878)
NUT! Why should anyone stop playing their point so HE can cross their court?--I don't get that one. How did you find him?

1-800-L U N A T I C

rafafan20 12-14-2012 08:15 PM

Hes just on my club's ladder, he contacted me.

And mikeler I just like Rafa's game, I don't pay attention to that stuff all that much. I like Fed and Djokovic too. Worshipping an athlete is odd to me, my name is b/c I registered during the AO final to chat with some tennis fans.

CFreeborn 12-18-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 7063512)

You should try competitive rowing some time. Talk about uptight...
-C

tennis tom 12-18-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFreeborn (Post 7068953)
You should try competitive rowing some time. Talk about uptight...
-C

No kidding, if I was sandwiched inbetween a bunch of guys stroking feverishly, with long poles in their hands, I would be uptight too!

At least in tennis you have a net inbetween you, and in doubles if your partner knows how to play, stays in their box and doesn't invade your personal space.

Tell us more about your "uptight" competitive rowing experiences, never heard any, sounds like it could be interesting.

TomT 12-18-2012 05:57 PM

Another entertaining thread. rafafan20, maybe you're reading too much into it, maybe not. From your account, it seems like you're justifiably perplexed. With these sorts of situations one really has to have been there to witness the controversial behavior first hand. In that regard what matters is whether YOU think the guy was acting crazy or deliberately using gamesmanship. If the latter, then no problem, and the way to preclude any sour taste that that might leave is to just play as well as you can. Then, win or lose, you can walk away with a smile. Psychological gamesmanship is, after all, an integral part of any competitive activity. Learning how to best handle it is as much a part of tennis as learning good strokes.

On the other hand, if you believe the former (that he's maybe a bit off or unpredictably socially d**kish), but taking into account that you indicated you had a good match and that he was gracious in defeat, then just don't deal with him apart from tennis (and maybe make sure that you schedule future matches with him at times when the courts, preferably ones with metal detectors and full time armed security guards, are likely to be empty).

floridatennisdude 12-18-2012 06:15 PM

He must've just found out his teenage daughter was pregnant or something. Sounds like he lost it and came back to earth during the match.

I wouldn't be eager for a rematch.

chatt_town 12-19-2012 02:23 PM

I'd like to add @$$hole to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7063407)
Sounds like a nut job to me.