Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What's the effective tatic to surpress topspin opponent? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448196)

baselineJoe 12-14-2012 01:12 PM

What's the effective tatic to surpress topspin opponent?

Hello all,

What should I do if my opponent always pulls strong topspin shots that run really high? I hit topspin too but mine don't jump high, instead they jump forward fast. I have been thinking about what might be the best way to surpress my opponent when he tries to pull that kind of shots.

LeeD 12-14-2012 01:27 PM

First of all, nothing you can do will assist you to beat a better player than you.
That said, try moving them side to side, never hit into their strongest hitting zone, slice low and biting, and hit winners when they bounce the ball higher than you like.
Can't do those? Well, then he's a better player. He's seen everyone try to beat him doing those things before.
Drop shot him, use low sharp CC slices.
Or hit harder than he can handle.

baselineJoe 12-14-2012 01:57 PM

Thanks Lee, definitely want to try it tomorrow!

NLBwell 12-14-2012 03:49 PM

Slice low and deep up the middle - keeping the ball around ankle height - and come into the net. Chip and charge.
Most big topspinners don't like the ball low and skidding and approaching up middle reduces the angles for the passes.
You have to be pretty decent in the frontcourt, though.

cll30 12-16-2012 09:43 PM

take the ball early before it has a chance to bounce so high

mikeler 12-17-2012 05:25 AM

I'm not telling you how to beat me.

jaggy 12-17-2012 05:54 AM

Hit aces and service return winners

mikeler 12-17-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7067265)
Hit aces and service return winners

Crap, you gave up my secret.

drummerdan 12-17-2012 11:06 AM

If he's got an extreme (grip or grips), try to keep the ball low and slicing. Step in a chip it. Generally, figure out what he doesn't hit as well and feed him a steady diet of those type of balls. You might also try big, looping topspin, as deep as possible. The key is deep and looping to keep him behind the baseline. That way, he can't hurt you with his big topspin shots.

NickC 12-17-2012 11:24 AM

Take away his time. Attack him. Go into the net. Keep the ball low and outside his comfort zone. Don't give him the same look twice.

Bowtiesarecool 12-17-2012 12:40 PM

I go into slice mode when these types of players turn up. Get them running back and fourth with baseline slices and hard drop shots just over the net. If you can use his topspin against him by sending it back with even more underspin, chances are good that low bouncing dropper will get him to come in for an attack, and he'll dump it into the net

dyldore 12-17-2012 03:03 PM

I hit with extreme grips and heavy topspin and I have the most trouble with low/deep slices and fast/deep flat shots, on a fast court. If you are on slower courts, unfortunately, there isn't much you can do.

Tennusdude 12-17-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7067221)
I'm not telling you how to beat me.

I tell opponents how to beat me all the time and guess what? The fools never ever listen to me. They think I am joking. I have a extremely strong forehand, have even been told it is professional level at times. My backhand it weak, at best I can slice the ball back deep or low, but when forced, although I can hit almost any ball back, it is a weak shot which an advance player will crush. I run around most backhands if possible. My tennis game reminds me of the signs on the back of a tractor trailer. Pass on the left and its heaven (backhand) Pass on the right and its suicide (forehand)

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with my backhand. Main problem is weak grip since I dont switch grips from semi western forehand. I am pretty quick around the court but I am getting old now 55 and it wont be long now when I wont be able to run around the backhand.

When I was using a wood racket my backhand was a pure shank shot. Although I found that my forehand was even more precise even if it was less powerful.

VeeSe 12-17-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennusdude (Post 7068056)
I tell opponents how to beat me all the time and guess what? The fools never ever listen to me. They think I am joking. I have a extremely strong forehand, have even been told it is professional level at times. My backhand it weak, at best I can slice the ball back deep or low, but when forced, although I can hit almost any ball back, it is a weak shot which an advance player will crush. I run around most backhands if possible. My tennis game reminds me of the signs on the back of a tractor trailer. Pass on the left and its heaven (backhand) Pass on the right and its suicide (forehand)

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with my backhand. Main problem is weak grip since I dont switch grips from semi western forehand. I am pretty quick around the court but I am getting old now 55 and it wont be long now when I wont be able to run around the backhand.

When I was using a wood racket my backhand was a pure shank shot. Although I found that my forehand was even more precise even if it was less powerful.

Start switching grips... it will help a LOT.

maverick1981 12-18-2012 11:08 AM

big topspin forehand?

like other posters said - hit the ball on the rise, take away your opponents time to load up & recover - start there, and then, decide if you also have the ability to add in movement to your shot. I think taking it on the rise and putting it back deep is your best tactic. If you can also move that shot around its only a plus.

Next - be mindful of your chances. If you know the player hits consistently, with deep topspin, if & when you get an opening, I suggest going for it and go on the offensive quick. Take your chances and recognize an opportunity to jump on them. This will be your window to win.

barringer97 12-19-2012 06:39 AM

Also, if they are hitting big topspin, that means that they are hitting higher balls at the net, which would benefit you if you are at the net.

Hard to pass you with big, looping balls.

dyldore 12-19-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barringer97 (Post 7070490)
Also, if they are hitting big topspin, that means that they are hitting higher balls at the net, which would benefit you if you are at the net.

Hard to pass you with big, looping balls.

If they can only do that shot. I win a lot of net points because if they do come to net, I'll add a little extra brush and hit the ball closer to the net. By the time the ball reaches them it's at their feet and that's a tough volley for most people.

6-1 6-3 6-0 12-19-2012 09:56 AM

Don't play like Federer. (Federer is troubled by players who play with lots of topspin.)

luvforty 12-19-2012 10:11 AM

low slices for sure.... difficult to produce high ts balls off low slices.

LeeD 12-19-2012 11:06 AM

Low skidded slices OR high moonballs with topspin before your opponent hit's HIS shot.
Surprisingly, some heavy topspin loop players don't like high bouncing balls.
Check with their grips first, of course.