Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Miami Hurricanes (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448251)

Kirijax 12-15-2012 08:05 AM

Miami Hurricanes

Go Miami Hurricanes and ACC tennis!

db10s 12-15-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7064459)
Go Miami Hurricanes and ACC tennis!

I personally think the whole "U" thing is stupid...

Kirijax 12-15-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7064682)
I personally think the whole "U" thing is stupid...

Being a fan, I love it!

db10s 12-15-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7064727)
Being a graduate, I love it!

If anything it should be the "M"

Kirijax 12-15-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7064795)
If anything it should be the "M"

The U will always be Miami. It is what it is! Go U!

tball2day 12-15-2012 01:39 PM

Why is it a U? What does that mean?

Kirijax 12-15-2012 01:54 PM

It started back in the 70s when the school came up with the present logo for the team. There were so many UM schools that they wanted something different and that was how the U got started. It was reinforced with phrases like U Gotta Believe and such. Now when "The U" is mentioned, everyone thinks of Miami.

db10s 12-15-2012 02:53 PM

I still think its stupid...... Welcome to the University of University. Or Welcome to the University.... At Miami. Who comes up with that.... I would have done "The M".... And a stupid joke I found; Why is Miami's mascot a duck? Its like a walking PSA for what you should do on campus... And I know the mascot is an ibis... Gotta get your daily dose of messed up humor.

db10s 12-15-2012 02:56 PM

And there is a silent U at the beginning of Miami.... Its also invisible.

Kirijax 12-15-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7064971)
I still think its stupid...... Welcome to the University of University. Or Welcome to the University.... At Miami. Who comes up with that.... I would have done "The M".... And a stupid joke I found; Why is Miami's mascot a duck? Its like a walking PSA for what you should do on campus... And I know the mascot is an ibis... Gotta get your daily dose of messed up humor.

LOL. Thanks for your opinion. Go U!

gavna 12-16-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7064727)
Being a graduate, I love it!

Go Canes!!!!!! Class of 84!!!!!

Folks who don't know just don't get it.

Kirijax 12-16-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7066285)
Go Canes!!!!!! Class of 84!!!!!

Folks who don't know just don't get it.

Nice to see another Canes fan here!

bluetrain4 12-16-2012 02:30 PM

Because of its party-centric, questionable academics, sometimes NCAA-violating football program (which was my only knowledge of Miami for years), I thought Miami was a second (or third)-rate state school - and all students were like Michael Irvin or others on the teams of yesteryear, the posse of guys who hung out with him, or the women he slept with.

But, I've since learned that it's a private school, and a pretty good school as well.

I mean, plenty of schools have those commercials during games that remind you of other aspects of the school, other than football. Miami probably does now, but back in their 80s heyday, I don't ever remember seeing anything like that. I figured the school was the South Beach club/bar scene transported to a campus setting plus football - and that's all.

Kirijax 12-16-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 7066390)
Because of it's party-centric, questionable academics, sometimes NCAA-violating football program (which was my only knowledge of Miami), for years, I thought Miami was a second (or third)-rate state school - and all students were like Michael Irvin or others on the teams of yesteryear, the posse of guys who hung out with him, or the women he slept with.

But, I've since learned that it's a private school, and a pretty good school as well.

I mean, plenty of schools have those commercials during games that remind you of other aspects of the school, other than football. Miami probably does now, but back in their 80s heyday, I don't ever remember seeing anything like that. I figured the school was the South Beach club/bar scene transported to a campus setting plus football - and that's all.

US NEWS has Miami ranked as the highest school in Florida (no. 35 or something), public or private. The football image is so strong that he level of the school gets forgotten sometimes.

bluetrain4 12-16-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7066435)
US NEWS has Miami ranked as the highest school in Florida (no. 35 or something), public or private. The football image is so strong that he level of the school gets forgotten sometimes.

That's what I'm saying. I know other people who have had that wrong image of Miami as well.

As I said, I eventually learned that it's a very good (and private) university, but I, like others, for a long time had a perception of the school based entirely on the football program.

Kirijax 12-16-2012 07:18 PM

Anyway, this is about the Miami Hurricanes tennis teams. The women did good last year, making the Elite Eight in the NCAA and finishing at No. 9 in the team rankings. They might drop a bit this year with their top two players graduating. They'll have four freshmen and no seniors this year.

The guys were a wreck last year, falling to their lowest ranking in 30 years, ending up at No. 67. They were a young team with no seniors so with a year of experience, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a .500 ACC record and getting back into the top 40 and a NCAA appearance this year. That might be asking for too much yet though. But if the same continues this year, head coach Rincon may be in trouble.

gavna 12-16-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7066435)

The corvette U image from the 60s and 70s then the sucess of the football program really hurt the image of the school. Its always been the red headed stepchild of Florida schools with the big state schools FSU and UF getting all the attention.......UM always seemed to attract way way more kids form the northeast than the big state schools - heck when I was there the joke was it was the U of New Jersey South.

Kirijax 12-19-2012 03:04 AM

2013 Spring Schedule

The Hurricanes released the men's schedule. They start with a double-header against Florida Gators and Bethune-Cookman Wildcats on January 19th!

Go Canes!

Kirijax 01-02-2013 10:09 AM

Looking forward to the team rankings tomorrow. With an all-time low finish of #67 last season, hoping for any kind of jump up. Since we haven't lost any seniors, it will be interesting.

Kirijax 01-03-2013 01:19 PM

Jan 3, Rankings

The ITA just released their first rankings of the year. The Miami men will be working from the bottom up. Team ranking is at No. 65 and there are zero players ranked in singles or doubles. For the women, they are at #9 with 3 players in the singles and one team in the doubles.

The guys have a LOT to prove this year.