Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tennis Academy in Florida for Adults (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448263)

anantak2k 12-15-2012 11:00 AM

Tennis Academy in Florida for Adults

I am looking to go somewhere to go for maybe a week or something where I can get a bang for my buck. I am currently a college student so I am on a budget. I am looking for something reasonable.

I read a lot of great things about Saddlebrook from many users here. That's the type of workout I want. After reading up on some of the posts from other users here, it seem that Saddlebrook is a very intense program. I don't mind going during the off season to save some money. I would also be driving there as long as it's somewhere in Florida.

I have no idea how much these things cost as I have never been to one before. I have also never had any coaching before this. I pretty much learned the game hitting against the wall and playing a lot of matches. I am currently a very solid 4.5 player in my 20s. I play random 4.5 USTA tournaments but don't play leagues even though I have been asked to play on many 4.5 teams because of conflict with school schedule.

I am looking to really try and improve and get to 5.0 in perhaps a year or two. To do so, I have to get more consistent and work on my serve more. I just want to get the experience of going to one of these places to see if it can help me improve some stuff in my game.

I am planning to go on this trip with maybe 1 or 2 friends who are at the same level as me. My budget is around 1k more or less. I have no idea what that would get me. But I am hoping during the off season the prices aren't so bad.

I hope to hear of some recommended places from other users here to help me in choosing a place to go to.

El Diablo 12-15-2012 01:28 PM

Your budget of about $1000 for a week is about 150/day. This might get you a motel room near some unused high school courts but it does not get you into a tennis academy. I think you'll find they charge a good deal more than this.

El Diablo 12-15-2012 01:34 PM

(Addendum --- that budget for example would get you the cheapest SHARED room at Saddlebrook, as well as some use of the courts, but NO INSTRUCTION, which costs extra)

TennezSport 12-15-2012 01:36 PM

Programs.......

I have been to Saddlebrook many times and its a great place to train, they will kick your but but El D is correct as Saddlebrook charges much more for a week if you stay on site. Best bet would be to call them and see what they offer for half and whole day lessons without staying on site.

Bollitteri's and Evert Academy's will also be expensive and offer similar training programs if that side of Florida is closer for you. Good luck and have fun.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

anantak2k 12-15-2012 01:45 PM

How is Evert Academy? That may be an option without staying on site as its not too far from me.

McLovin 12-15-2012 02:24 PM

I have no idea about cost, but Sanchez-Casal has taken over Naples Tennis & Bath:
http://www.asc-florida.com/
Only two hours across Alligator Alley. We'll be in Naples next week (we're staying across the street at The World Tennis Club), and my wife has commented about taking a day lesson from them. If she does, I may tag along & check the place out.

I have no idea how good the Florida site is, but my understanding is they are real popular in Spain. At least, popular enough for Murray to train there as a junior...

anantak2k 12-15-2012 02:26 PM

I did read some good things about Sanchez-Casal too but the website does not seem to have much in terms of pricing. I will have to call and find out.

db10s 12-15-2012 02:43 PM

Personally, I train at L'Academie de Tennis.

peoplespeace 12-16-2012 02:59 AM

Tennis must be the sport or possibly even skill more generally speaking where schools (academies) and teachers (coaches) can get away with giving so little for so much! Had this been in the money lending business it would have been illegal! Actually probably only in the banking business and politics will u find a higher number of smooth con artists per total # of practitioners.

anantak2k 12-16-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 7065475)
Tennis must be the sport or possibly even skill more generally speaking where schools (academies) and teachers (coaches) can get away with giving so little for so much! Had this been in the money lending business it would have been illegal! Actually probably only in the banking business and politics will u find a higher number of smooth con artists per total # of practitioners.

LOL
I honestly did not realize how expensive they are. Oh well. Maybe sometime in the future if I ever start making any real money and manage to pay off my student loans. For the amount of money it seems to cost, I think I should just save it to travel other countries. I will continue working on my game on my own as I have been doing the past 6-7 years.

peoplespeace 12-16-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantak2k (Post 7065601)
LOL
I honestly did not realize how expensive they are. Oh well. Maybe sometime in the future if I ever start making any real money and manage to pay off my student loans. For the amount of money it seems to cost, I think I should just save it to travel other countries. I will continue working on my game on my own as I have been doing the past 6-7 years.

Good for u! Its like with beggars, ur heart wants to give the money, but u know that this way the problem will just grow bigger!