Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Woodrow Ruling ?? - Partners disagree on call, with a ball mark clearly out. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448271)

g4driver 12-15-2012 12:58 PM

Woodrow Ruling ?? - Partners disagree on call, with a ball mark clearly out.

Sorry: Forgot to include this in the original post. It was on a clay court

Opponents in a doubles match hit a ball to the ad court.

One opponent on the deuce side at the net, says "Nice shot", while his partner stops play calling "Out". The ball mark was clearly out and all four players see the mark and agree this is the mark.

Does The Code Making Calls 14. Partner's Disagreement on Calls give the point to the team who hit it out, regardless of the ball mark?

"If one partner calls the ball out, and the other partner see the ball good, they shall call it good."

All four players (teammates) agree the ball mark is out, but who gets the point?

gmatheis 12-15-2012 01:16 PM

Depends on the surface

On clay it's out as it was a point ending shot the ball mark can be checked.

On hard court even though there may be a ball mark you can't use them so the disagreement between your opponents means it's your point.

g4driver 12-15-2012 01:27 PM

Thanks gmatheis

Can you give me a reference?

I am trying to show my teammates, but I can't find any reference to show why the out mark on clay takes priority the partner's disagreement on the call.

Three of us thought the point should go to the team who disagreed, and the guy who hit it out thought he should get the point because his two friend's disagree. Pretty funny actually on the court among four really good friends.

The guy who hit it out was my partner. And our teammates give each a rash of $h1t for any reason they can find. ;)

gmatheis 12-15-2012 01:43 PM

21. Making calls on clay courts. If any part of a ball mark touches a line on a clay court, the ball shall be called good. If only part of the mark on a court can be seen, this means that the missing part is on a line or tape. A player should take a careful second look at any point-ending placement that is close to a line on a clay court. Occasionally a ball will strike the tape, jump, and then leave a full mark behind the line. This does not mean that a player is required to show an opponent the mark. The opponent shall not pass the net to inspect a mark. If a player hears the sound of a ball striking the tape and sees a clean spot on the tape near the mark, the player should give the point
to the opponent.

This is the only thing I can find, and doesn't seem to cover their initial disagreement. But since the mark can be checked and after doing so they no longer disagree then I believe the call is that the shot was out.

woodrow1029 12-15-2012 01:44 PM

Sorry, I completely forgot about your email.

On clay, point ending shot, all 4 agree its the mark, go with the out call.

woodrow1029 12-15-2012 01:47 PM

Was gonna post the same rule. Like he said, it doesn't cover the fact that one player said nice shot, but on a clay court, my interpretation would be to go with te out call especially when all 4 agree its the correct mark

g4driver 12-15-2012 01:53 PM

Thanks gmatheis and Woodrow

It is just one of those weird events I don't think I have ever encountered even after playing on my home clay courts for the past three years.

Woodrow, no worries. Glad you got to get back playing and not just calling the lines. Calling lines is work. ;)