Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help choosing strings for babolat pdr (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448272)

Jqlevy 12-15-2012 12:26 PM

Help choosing strings for babolat pdr

I've heard that a full set of poly works the best, but I don't want to restring every couple weeks when the string goes dead. I practice about 4 times a week, so how long would a full bed of alu power or rpm last me? Also, how long would vs gut/pht hybrid last? It sounds like a good combo since the gut holds its tension and I never break strings.

Ideally I would like something that I can play with for at least a couple months because I'm 14 and my parents would think its ridiculous to restring every other week.

Thanks

Francis27 12-15-2012 12:39 PM

my parents are the exact same. But especially Alu and rpm wont last you 2 weeks if you hit really hard. I would suggest Volkl Cyclone, dunlop black widow, and if you want something that would play a little longer than blast i would choose RPM Team ( i use it with my PD2012). But overall these 3 i would chose volkl cyclone because it is not expensive like rpm and alu, plus it plays 2x longer than rpm and alu and a little better than these strings.

And vs and pht will last atleast a month or 2 but im guessing the pht will die before gut does

But answer some of these questions so i know which string would be good for you:

Do you play with topspin? _
Durability or playability? _
How often do you play and how long? _
What do you want out of a string? _
Any arm/elbow problems? _
Control or power? _
do you play competitively, for fun, team? etc. _

Jqlevy 12-15-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7064811)
But answer some of these questions so i know which string would be good for you:

Do you play with topspin? _
Durability or playability? _
How often do you play and how long? _
What do you want out of a string? _
Any arm/elbow problems? _
Control or power? _
do you play competitively, for fun, team? etc. _

Thanks for the help

Do you play with topspin? yes
Durability or playability? I don't really have arm problems. I mainly need something that can last me a few months without going dead.
How often do you play and how long? 4 to 5 days a week for 2 hrs a day
What do you want out of a string? An overall well-balanced string with control and some power. Something that I can leave in my racquet for a while so I don't have to restring a lot.
Any arm/elbow problems? no
Control or power? Anything that isn't too powerful for the pure drive so I can hit hard without the ball going long all the time.
do you play competitively, for fun, team? etc. USTA tournaments and high school team.

Francis27 12-15-2012 01:20 PM

Ok then i would suggest something that is durable and holds tension so you dont have to keep restringing when the strings get loose. I would suggest Weisscannon Silverstring, Solinco Tour bite, or the Volkl Cyclone, or the Tourna Big hitter blue rough. These strings are really good. I like the tourna big hitter blue rough and the volkl cyclone.

But if i were to choose between these 2 i would choose Volkl Cyclone. It got really great scores on the reviews from TW and people love it too! Plus its only $8

Here are the reviews :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h92XWER4hI

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...CYCReview.html

If you have more questions keep asking! We will help

Francis27 12-15-2012 01:29 PM

Oh and if you want a hybrid try the Tourna Big hitter blue rough with Babolat vs gut, or if you dont want to spend too much money Babolat Xcel premium (multifilament) is a real good choice too. Tourna Big hitter blue rough mains and Xcel crosses.

Jqlevy 12-15-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7064843)
Ok then i would suggest something that is durable and holds tension so you dont have to keep restringing when the strings get loose. I would suggest Weisscannon Silverstring, Solinco Tour bite, or the Volkl Cyclone, or the Tourna Big hitter blue rough. These strings are really good. I like the tourna big hitter blue rough and the volkl cyclone.

But if i were to choose between these 2 i would choose Volkl Cyclone. It got really great scores on the reviews from TW and people love it too! Plus its only $8

Here are the reviews :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h92XWER4hI

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...CYCReview.html

If you have more questions keep asking! We will help

Thank you! what tension do you recommend for cyclone 16?

tennisnut09 12-15-2012 02:54 PM

Something soft, low power, and GREAT CONTROL. Any mid-high power string is a no go for this particular racket.

Francis27 12-15-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqlevy (Post 7064965)
Thank you! what tension do you recommend for cyclone 16?

I string my PD2012 at 55. The Pure drives are stiff so i would do 53-55. 53 would be lowest because the Pure drives are also powerful and you might not have as much control on your shots when strung low.

Dragan 12-15-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqlevy (Post 7064834)

I mainly need something that can last me a few months without going dead.
I play 4 to 5 days a week for 2 hrs a day

So you need a string that will endure 80-100 hours of hitting, without significantly losing its properties? I'm afraid that's unrealistic goal :)

In addition, let's do some math:

Here in Belgrade, playing on a typical red clay court would cost me ~7 USD per hour. In winter time, the price goes up to 10-15 USD per hour. If I would play 100 hours over two months, like you, I would have to spend at least ~700 USD, plus transportation costs, parking costs, water/refreshments etc. OK, maybe you have some arrangements with your club, but I doubt that you play tennis for free in the United States :)

Now, during these 200 hours of hitting, I would also "burn" at least 20-30 tennis balls, that will cost me additional 40-60 USD, and I would partialy wear my tennis shoes (~20-30 USD worth amortization costs).

Considering all of these costs, should I really try to save money by playing with the same string for two months? :)

pheonix6579 12-15-2012 04:43 PM

If your not a string breaker why not do full gut at 60-62 the gut will stay pretty lovely till it breaks.

Nostradamus 12-15-2012 04:45 PM

Are you talking about the new 2012 version ? If so, I will give you some tips. Get the Kirschbaum Proline X. It works best and sweet with PDR or PDR Roddick 2012. I was using the RPM blast and Big banger sometimes but they didn't work as well as Proline X.

Francis27 12-15-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7065087)
Are you talking about the new 2012 version ? If so, I will give you some tips. Get the Kirschbaum Proline X. It works best and sweet with PDR or PDR Roddick 2012. I was using the RPM blast and Big banger sometimes but they didn't work as well as Proline X.

I was actually just going to say that :razz:

Fuji 12-15-2012 06:15 PM

No poly will last you more than a few weeks without going dead mate. I'd definitely recomend a gut with a thick coating and be done with it. String it up a few pounds over mid and you'll be set for a while.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/KLIP...IP-KARM16.html

Klip armour pro gets my vote for the fact that it has an extra coating that from my experience offers solid durability. :)

-Fuji

Jqlevy 12-15-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7065087)

Thanks, I'll try that. How do you like the hybrid of proline x and tecnifibre? Would you recommend the hybrid or a full set?

Francis27 12-15-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqlevy (Post 7065198)
Thanks, I'll try that. How do you like the hybrid of proline x and tecnifibre? Would you recommend the hybrid or a full set?

Full set is very good, hybrid it just to make it softer. So if you want a soft feel then do hybrid if you want a stiff feel then go full set. X one Biphase is probably the most used multifilament out there for people and the pros.

Jqlevy 12-16-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7065233)
Full set is very good, hybrid it just to make it softer. So if you want a soft feel then do hybrid if you want a stiff feel then go full set. X one Biphase is probably the most used multifilament out there for people and the pros.

I'll try a full set. Thanks for the help :)

Jqlevy 12-16-2012 06:39 PM

Has anyone tried pht/vs gut hybrid? Im just curious of what people think of it.

Francis27 12-16-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqlevy (Post 7066726)
Has anyone tried pht/vs gut hybrid? Im just curious of what people think of it.

Its really good it was a little powerful for me but i can fix that with the spin the PHT gave me. Although the PHT died before the gut.

I dont hybrid (i use RPM Team full set) but if i were to i would do

Mains:
Babolat RPM Team
Tecnifibre Black code
Luxilon Alu power rough
Tourna Big hitter blue rough

Cross:
Babolat Vs gut
Tecnifibre X1 Biphase
Babolat Xcel
Tecnifibre NRG1

I like to have a spin string in the mains

Fuji 12-16-2012 07:12 PM

Gut is probably the biggest waste as a cross. Literally a 2$ synthetic gut will provide 99% of the same playability as gut will. The majority of your play comes from the mains.

That being said, I've used Gut/PHT before. It's a nice playing set up but I found the PHT ate through the gut rather quickly considering the stiffness of PHT.

-Fuji

Andyroo10567 12-16-2012 08:12 PM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/StringCats.html
Scroll down.