Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   String Legalities (21g gut usability) for the sake of science! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448402)

zerojoshua 12-17-2012 06:06 AM

String Legalities (21g gut usability) for the sake of science!

I was fortunate enough to have found a great deal on 132 sets of natural gut squash racquet string for $80. Within the last three weeks I have done several experiments. I tried combining two sets per hole on the crosses at 55lbs (two because the 21g by itself can only hold 45lbs max) and it felt great for the short time it lasted.

For my next string set up I want to try poly main and every other cross (Volkl Cyclone) @ 55lbs and a single strand of the 21g gut @ 35lbs to fill in the rest of the crosses When it snaps I can just redo the gut.

I am guessing this is illegal due to interpretive technicalities, but for the sake of science, what the heck (Fun is Fun).:)

I am also soaking 3 sets of the gut in hopes of twisting them together in order to make 1 string (a gut filament?).

I am also looking to do other experiments and could even post some Youtube and picture results.

Any comments or ideas are welcome. For the sake of science!!

corbind 12-17-2012 07:23 AM

Looking forward to the results of your Frankenstein projects. Sounds rather interesting. Tinkering is fun! :)

zerojoshua 12-17-2012 07:30 AM

Absolutely!

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7067371)
Looking forward to the results of your Frankenstein projects. Sounds rather interesting. Tinkering is fun! :)

I have tried just about every style of racquet and relatively decent amount of string types. Now on to the next phase!!! :)

Rock Strongo 12-17-2012 01:03 PM

Will pics be a possibility?

You're just throwing science at the wall and hoping that it sticks, and I respect you for that!

db10s 12-17-2012 02:48 PM

Maybe some twisted gut, take 2 and twist them together. Another idea; this will be harder, coating them in a wax, like with a candle by dipping it in molten wax.... And it should turn out like Discho? gut....

canny 12-19-2012 07:52 PM

Twisting the gut together sound interesting. Theoretically should develop some more ball bite right?

Chotobaka 12-19-2012 08:06 PM

What's the length on these? The usual 30ish feet?

Rock Strongo 12-20-2012 01:37 PM

If you were to braid 3 sets of gut perhaps? Or would that be too thick/take too long?

Stringers 12-20-2012 02:23 PM

What are you soaking the 3 sets of gut in?

Stringers 12-20-2012 02:24 PM

Paracord style? ;)

zerojoshua 12-21-2012 05:05 PM

Water

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringers (Post 7072645)
What are you soaking the 3 sets of gut in?

When I get back from vacation, I will be soaking 3 sets and them twisting them together while stretching them. I will take pictures and present my findings.

db10s 12-21-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojoshua (Post 7074254)
When I get back from vacation, I will be soaking 3 sets and them twisting them together while stretching them. I will take pictures and present my findings.

In water???

Stringers 12-21-2012 07:20 PM

Is water not awful for gut?

zerojoshua 12-28-2012 09:41 AM

Pictures

Three strands of 21g gut soaked, twisted, dried and then glued them together with Aleene's Tacky Glue, to prevent untwisting. I used this glue because of its flex.

I realized that after the strings dried out they would separate from each-other.

The end result is a string width of 15g even though the surface area is = to that of a 16g.

I will continue to post pics and results and feel free to recommend other glues and methodologies.

Ciao!!

canny 12-28-2012 11:59 AM

Play test soon!!

NLBwell 12-28-2012 12:42 PM

I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens when you hit with it. Shaped gut - could be really good. Might fall apart, Might do who knows what?

zerojoshua 12-31-2012 05:26 PM

The three twisted did not go as planned

The three strings twisted together did not go as planned in my attempt to use it as a cross. They were to wide for the holes and as I tried to pull them through they became a twisted mess. Next time I will try them as mains.

So instead I tried something else until my next strings a twisting.

Luxilon Adrenalin 18g mains at 59lbs and 18g isospeed baseline spin twisted with 21g gut as crosses at 55lbs.

I've now been playing for 6 hours with them and my findings where,

1. No major increase in spin. I'm a big spinner and can spin balls wildly with my CTS Lightening racquets regardless of string.

2. What I did notice was an decent increase in power,

3. A surprisingly softer feel than with just the Baseline Spin cross

4. The biggest benefit so far has been the added tension maintenance of the softer Isospeed 18g poly and in fact my string bed in general.

I will have to continue the experiment several more times in order to verify my findings, but what a welcome surprise so far.

Typically I am on the end of my string life at 6 hours with Isospeed but currently the set up appears as lively as when I started the experiment.

I will need to find a better glue than the stretchy stuff. It's to hard to pull through the holes.

Suggestions welcome and we'll try something new.

Ciao, time to chase some more yellow fuzzies!

db10s 01-01-2013 09:10 AM

I know gorilla glue is strong. Not sure if it will work for this. I suppose you could paint the glue on with a brush. Or maybe a spray on glue.

zerojoshua 01-02-2013 08:00 AM

Hmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7090426)
I know gorilla glue is strong. Not sure if it will work for this. I suppose you could paint the glue on with a brush. Or maybe a spray on glue.

Perhaps I will soak the strings in a gorilla glue/ water compound