Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Weird experience playing pick up hoops (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448416)

atatu 12-17-2012 08:41 AM

Weird experience playing pick up hoops

So yesterrday I took my two kids and their friend (ages 11 and 13) to play basketball at a local park. There were two other people there, one girl and one guy who were in their early 20's probably local college kids. We ended up playing 3 vs. 3 and the girl, who was a good player was very nice. The guy was fine to the kids, but he was really, really over the top physical with me. I have played pick up all over the country with people of all economic and social backgrounds and have never, ever experienced this. It was almost as though this guy wanted to really hurt me badly. I didn't say anything, just gave it back to him, and of course things just escalated. It was so weird, because he wasn't talking smack or anything, just bulgeoning me every chance he got, and he knew how to play, so it wasn't that he didn't know any better. Any thoughts from other hoopsters out there...keep in mind that I'm 50 and about 5 foot 9. This guy was maybe 21 and 6 foot even.

Fearsome Forehand 12-17-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 7067473)
So yesterrday I took my two kids and their friend (ages 11 and 13) to play basketball at a local park. There were two other people there, one girl and one guy who were in their early 20's probably local college kids. We ended up playing 3 vs. 3 and the girl, who was a good player was very nice. The guy was fine to the kids, but he was really, really over the top physical with me. I have played pick up all over the country with people of all economic and social backgrounds and have never, ever experienced this. It was almost as though this guy wanted to really hurt me badly. I didn't say anything, just gave it back to him, and of course things just escalated. It was so weird, because he wasn't talking smack or anything, just bulgeoning me every chance he got, and he knew how to play, so it wasn't that he didn't know any better. Any thoughts from other hoopsters out there...keep in mind that I'm 50 and about 5 foot 9. This guy was maybe 21 and 6 foot even.

He is a jerk, plain and simple. No one should play like that in a casual game. The first time he fouled you, you should have been all over it and just taken your kids and left.

This is why you shouldn't play pick up with complete strangers. You're lucky he didn't break your nose or something. Some people are just idiots.

goober 12-17-2012 08:53 AM

Some guys are super competitive. Maybe he was trying to show off to the girl or maybe he wanted to show you up for some reason. I remember playing as a teenager or young adult, if a 50+ year old guy was on the court, people think they can take it right to him and some old dude was not going to stop them. In any case middle age men should probably refrain from playing competitive bball IMO. Accident waiting to happen. Just stick to playing with your kids and people you know.

ollinger 12-17-2012 09:20 AM

Could have been a negative paternal transference, especially as you're likely about the same age as his father.

atatu 12-17-2012 09:41 AM

That's pretty funny !

r2473 12-17-2012 09:42 AM

You should have started pushing the girl around.

mikeler 12-17-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7067578)

Better yet, pass her the ball "accidentally" and then try to vigorously strip it from her.

krz 12-17-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7067627)
Better yet, pass her the ball "accidentally" and then try to vigorously strip it from her.

depends...

pics of said 20y/o girl?

hollywood9826 12-17-2012 11:04 AM

If it were me with kids thee I would have just been a little easier than a real pick up game. Probably would still box out and stuff to grab rebounds. I usually would use instances liek that as a way to test out post moves and act like Im hakeem or something.

Im guessing he could not separate the fun game from the serious game.

Or he didnt like you based on your looks or something.

zapvor 12-17-2012 11:18 AM

with kids the dynamic is completely different. he should be nice all around.

so thats kinda of weird

by the way where i used to play guys would dunk on me and wrap their legs around my neck under the basket. good times

r2473 12-17-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7067733)
by the way where i used to play guys would dunk on me and wrap their legs around my neck under the basket. good times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3p6KSVcN8

hollywood9826 12-20-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7067733)
guys would dunk on me and wrap their legs around my neck under the basket. good times

I went into a Marine recruiters office. He saked me if I played basketball. I didnt tell him how Dennis Rodmaned EJ Henderson in 10th grade. So I just said yes.

His response

"I'll take you on the court and dunk on you and stick my nuts in your face."

It'snever good times to get dunked on and have nuts in your face.

I walked down the hall and joined the Air Force.

NLBwell 12-20-2012 08:32 AM

You are better off in the Air Force.

JRstriker12 12-20-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 7072144)
I went into a Marine recruiters office. He saked me if I played basketball. I didnt tell him how Dennis Rodmaned EJ Henderson in 10th grade. So I just said yes.

His response

"I'll take you on the court and dunk on you and stick my nuts in your face."

It'snever good times to get dunked on and have nuts in your face.

I walked down the hall and joined the Air Force.

Another classic HW post. Smart move HW!

JRstriker12 12-20-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 7067473)

You could have just asked him to cool it a bit and say you don't want to play to rough with the kids around.

Maybe he was trying to impress his girl, or maybe he's like me and a total klutz on court.

I remember playing at the Y one time. I'm not too good at scoring so I try to make it up on defense and rebounding. I end up fouling the guy a couple times and he gets upset, making threats, etc. So I figure I'm being too aggressive and back of him. (As I said, I'm a klutz on the b-ball court).

At one point I basically just stood there with my hands in the air and didn't move, then the guy tried to go in for a layup. I figured he was going to go around me but he ends up jumping into me, then gets mad that didn't move and took a charge. I had to just walk away after that.

hollywood9826 12-20-2012 12:23 PM

^^^^^

Ive been yeled at for taking a charge in a pickup game. I moved out of the way once and ended getting tangled up with a guy who tore his knee up. After that I deceided I was just going to stand there and let them move. Most of times they do sometimes they dont.

Power Player 12-20-2012 12:29 PM

When guys used to play like tools, I would set real hard picks right in their blind spot and lay them out. I'd do it a few times, and they would either blow up and lose their cool or get the message and simmer down.

Dedans Penthouse 12-22-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7067578)

^^^^
FTW!

LMAO