Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ASO ankle brace (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448577)

mmk 12-19-2012 09:28 AM

ASO ankle brace

After wearing mid-top Prince Vipers for years (following an ankle sprain that turned my lower leg pure black for months), I recently decided to try going with GR4s and relying on ASO ankle braces. Monday night I ran all the way across court to get a ball, and knew I was going to have to reverse direction right away, but the ball had more spin than I had anticipated. I'm not sure that mid-tops would have prevented my ankle from rolling as I adjusted to the ball, but the ASO brace worked perfectly. YMMV, but I'll never play without them.

winstonplum 12-19-2012 10:30 PM

don't ever play without them again. Top of the line, baby. Worth every cent. Good enough for Isner and Roddick, good enough for me.

Tyler91 12-20-2012 06:16 PM

Good topic. I rolled my right ankle badly last month. My wife is a PT at a sports med clinic and she suggested the ASO brace. It seems solid. I just bought a second one...

Bergboy123 12-20-2012 09:39 PM

For you guys that always wear them, I have a question. I've heard that it's bad to always wear braces as your joints become to some point reliant and weak because of them. I always like to hear opinions on this matter, because if there is no disadvantage, I'd love to wear them all the time as I love the feeling and stability (and safety!)

winstonplum 12-20-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergboy123 (Post 7073162)
For you guys that always wear them, I have a question. I've heard that it's bad to always wear braces as your joints become to some point reliant and weak because of them. I always like to hear opinions on this matter, because if there is no disadvantage, I'd love to wear them all the time as I love the feeling and stability (and safety!)

Bergboy, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm 38 and rolled my right ankle very badly, severe sprain, when I was about 17. About five years ago, I severely sprained the same ankle playing baseball. When I started playing tennis, I mildly sprained the same ankle about a year and a half ago. If you're a right handed player 99% of serious ankle sprains come from running right for a forehand and turning, or even jumping up a bit to get a little more action on a cc forehand. I couldn't take the chance again. Many top pros Roddick, Isner, Murray always were them. I would say 95% of the rest have their ankles taped professionally underneath their socks, which acts just like a brace.

It's purely a precautionary measure, you get used to the braces in about, oh, four minutes, and you play with a lot more confidence with the feeling your ankle or ankles are safe.

mmk 12-21-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

In 2000, when I was 44, I completely tore two ligaments in my right ankle, to the point where, after the swelling went down, you could feel the separate pieces. During that same injury I partially tore another ligament, ruptured the joint capsule (check wikipedia) and had a high ankle sprain. The ortho said that if I were younger he'd operate, but that at my age there was no point (that might have hurt worse than the injury). He also reiterated what I'd already known, that rolled ankles heal, but not 100%, and each roll makes them more likely to roll again. It took years before I felt comfortable walking in anything other than mid-tops, so playing without some kind of ankle support was definitely out of the question. I feel much more secure with the ASOs than with mids, and my experience in my first post really reinforced my trust in them.

Tyler91 12-21-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Maybe this could be true. I think a brace is not a substitute for proper rehab of an ankle that is weak from injury. Exercising the injured ankle correctly to rehab...important!

TimothyO 12-21-2012 04:02 AM

Do they have an effect on the shoe size? In other words, if wearing ASO braces, is it best to wear a larger shoe size?

mmk 12-21-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7073303)
Do they have an effect on the shoe size? In other words, if wearing ASO braces, is it best to wear a larger shoe size?

I haven't had a problem, the material is very thin.

Murray2012 12-21-2012 06:11 AM

I have found the Aircast A60 (as used by Murray) fantastic. Feels very stable. Comfortable. No effect on shoe size. They dont last that long, are fairly expensive, and only available in black in some countries are the downsides.

winstonplum 12-21-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7073303)

No, they do not affect shoe size. The material is very thin and they last a very long time. I've had mine well over a year, maybe close to two years now. The tongue part ripped off at some point, but I just place it where it belongs and lace it right over. High quality material. 35.00 a piece--you get what you pay for.

jtrain_36 12-22-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler91 (Post 7073273)
Maybe this could be true. I think a brace is not a substitute for proper rehab of an ankle that is weak from injury. Exercising the injured ankle correctly to rehab...important!

I'd have to agree with this. Wearing a brace to play through an ankle injury isn't the smartest thing, proper rehab and strengthening goes a long way. Now if you find you suffer from chronic ankle sprains, then braces/taping is definitely the way to go (although tape is only good for about 10 mins in my experience... YMMV).