Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Forehand grip position (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448595)

MikeHitsHard93 12-19-2012 12:17 PM

Forehand grip position

I have read several articles on what grip styles there are but I don't know exactly what I use. Here's the link:

http://m1285.photobucket.com/albumvi...a.jpg.html?o=0

LeeD 12-19-2012 12:19 PM

Pic looks like some variation of SW to me.
Conti is your volley grip.
W is a forehand hit with the palm under the racket, facing the sky.
E is your palm.

MikeHitsHard93 12-19-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7070980)
Pic looks like some variation of SW to me.
Conti is your volley grip.
W is a forehand hit with the palm under the racket, facing the sky.
E is your palm.

Does it look ok?

Bowtiesarecool 12-19-2012 12:55 PM

Looking down at your grip... The top is 1, rotating to the right if you're right handed...

Continental is bevel 2, Eastern is bevel 3, semi western is bevel 4, and western is bevel 5 (the bottom of the racquet)

The point of reference for your hand is the base knuckle of your index finger.

Now, Most people hit the FH with a grip between Semi western (Federer uses both eastern and semi western, Nadal uses Western) however you can hold the racquet any way you feel comfortable. Rotating your knuckle towards the bottom of the racquet allows you to generate more spin by angling the face of the racquet towards the net, and forcing you to swing in a steeper path relative to the ground. grips toward western allow you to hit a higher bouncing ball more easily, and grips toward continental allow you to handle low bouncing balls more easily.

loci 12-19-2012 12:56 PM

it looks like you're using a semi-western.

an eastern grip looks like this: http://tennisearth.com/photos/static...rehandGrip.jpg

MikeHitsHard93 12-19-2012 01:05 PM

Thanks guys. I think I am using a semi western also. I just didn't know how to determine that properly

Bowtiesarecool 12-19-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7071039)
Thanks guys. I think I am using a semi western also. I just didn't know how to determine that properly

Hold the racquet, look at what bevel the base knuckle of your index finger is on.

Dragan 12-20-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiesarecool (Post 7071019)
Looking down at your grip... The top is 1, rotating to the right if you're right handed...

Continental is bevel 2, Eastern is bevel 3, semi western is bevel 4, and western is bevel 5 (the bottom of the racquet)

Since bevel 1 is the same thing as bevel 5, it makes more sense that western grip is refered as bevel 1 (west = left from continental, east = right from continental, as in geography).

Also, from my experience, it's also significantly much easier to explain various grips to beginners using bevel indices, than continental/easter/western grip designations.

Bowtiesarecool 12-20-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragan (Post 7071792)
Since bevel 1 is the same thing as bevel 5, it makes more sense that western grip is refered as bevel 1 (west = left from continental, east = right from continental, as in geography).

They're not the same. 1 is the top, 5 is the bottom.

Quote:

Also, from my experience, it's also significantly much easier to explain various grips to beginners using bevel indices, than continental/easter/western grip designations.

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with this sentence. You seem to be saying I should have explained grips in a different way, while at the same time, telling me to explain it in the exact way that I had.

Don't you think it would have been more constructive, instead of telling me I did it wrong, to have just posted your explanation of grips to the OP?

Dragan 12-20-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiesarecool (Post 7071819)
They're not the same. 1 is the top, 5 is the bottom.

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with this sentence. You seem to be saying I should have explained grips in a different way, while at the same time, telling me to explain it in the exact way that I had.

Don't you think it would have been more constructive, instead of telling me I did it wrong, to have just posted your explanation of grips to the OP?

Are you serious? :) Tennis racquet is a symetrical object, so there is absolutelly no difference between bevels 1 and 5. Each of them may be bottom or top.

I see that you are offended, without reason. I didn't tell that you were wrong, because you are clearly not wrong - all you said is 100% accurate.

I just gave my observation that refering to bevel 1 instead bevel 5 gives more meaning to "western" grip (it's west of continental).

Cheers,
Dragan

3fees 12-20-2012 06:17 PM

The racquet handle is octagonal with bevels 1 thru 8 clockwise, the "Vee" in between the thumb and index finger shows what grip it is for right handers, reverse for left handers

Forehand Grips right handers-counterclockwise for left handers:

Vee on

Bevel 1- Continental Grip
Bevel 1 Point-Australian Grip
Bevel 2-Eastern grip
Bevel 3-Semi Western grip
Bevel 4-Western grip

You can use the knuckle of the index finger as well.

Yours looks Semi-Western.

corbind 12-24-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Where did you learn this? Got a link to the book or article? Bevel 1 is not the same as 5. Only 1 refers to the part of the grip facing the sky. Only 5 describes the part of the grip facing the ground.

If what uou prescribe were true, you could describe a Western forehand and hit it with the BACK of the palm facing the opponent durning contact with the ball! :shock:

Dragan 12-25-2012 12:29 AM

Come on guys, are you really "3D challenged" that you cannot understand the simple fact that a tennis racquet only has four distinctive bevels?! While you swing your racquet and play, all bevels may face sky or ground, left or right, front or back.

I agree that using the top/bottom explanation is just fine for explaining grips to kids and beginners, but in a real game you never point racquet head towards you opponent to change grips. You do grip changes "on the fly" and the most important thing is to switch between grips in the most efficient (i.e. quickest) way. And you rarely hit the ball with the same face of the racquet, so "top" and "bottom" bevels change sides numerous times during a tennis match.

Now please tell me what is the difference between these two grips:

1) First supinate your hand and place base knuckle of your index finger on the bevel 5

2) First place the base knuckle of your index finger on the bevel 1 and then supinate your hand.

But for the sake of preventing future noise here - I admit I'm wrong, there are top and bottom bevels and bevels 1 and 5 are clearly not the same thing. Over and out.