Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How can you find out your "dynamic rating" ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448656)

christo 12-20-2012 07:09 AM

How can you find out your "dynamic rating" ?

I want to see how close I am to being bumped up. I have come to believe it's based on dynamic rating? Where can you determine that? Seems to me if I crush a weak player that dynamic rating can go down. Also there seems to be a correlation to the amount of matches played.

J_R_B 12-20-2012 07:13 AM

It's not public information.

schmke 12-20-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7072055)
I want to see how close I am to being bumped up. I have come to believe it's based on dynamic rating? Where can you determine that? Seems to me if I crush a weak player that dynamic rating can go down. Also there seems to be a correlation to the amount of matches played.

The USTA only publishes year-end or early-start ratings and only to the half point (NTRP level). However, I can create an Estimated Dynamic NTRP Report for you if you are interested that estimates your dynamic rating to the hundredth and shows you how it changed match to match.

See http://sites.google.com/site/compute...example-report and http://computerratings.blogspot.com/search/label/tennis for more information or contact me at computerratings@techrunning.com.

goober 12-20-2012 07:54 AM

If you know someone in the USTA you may be able to get it "off the record." I have heard of people getting this info. If you have a B or C rating you can't be bumped till next year or if your league has ESR, this summer.

floridatennisdude 12-20-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7072117)
If you know someone in the USTA you may be able to get it "off the record." I have heard of people getting this info. If you have a B or C rating you can't be bumped till next year or if your league has ESR, this summer.

Even if you get it, it supposedly changes with every match played

schmke 12-20-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 7072520)

Not just supposedly. It does change with every match played. The reports I generate will show the individual rating for the match and then the updated dynamic rating.

goober 12-20-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 7072520)

yes it changes every match, but that would still be a huge advantage having that single point in time value especially if it is late in the season. If you knew you were being very close to being bumped you could lose your next match by a lot. If you were somewhat close, you could make the match close but still win.

floridatennisdude 12-20-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke (Post 7072089)
The USTA only publishes year-end or early-start ratings and only to the half point (NTRP level). However, I can create an Estimated Dynamic NTRP Report for you if you are interested that estimates your dynamic rating to the hundredth and shows you how it changed match to match.

See http://sites.google.com/site/compute...example-report and http://computerratings.blogspot.com/search/label/tennis for more information or contact me at computerratings@techrunning.com.

Hmmm, I'm interested. Do you charge for it or do you just need test subjects?

jmnk 12-20-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7072055)

That's easy. Are you beating opponents at your current level comfortably every time? Do you have like 33% or more winning percentage when playing against folks with a higher rating? If yes to both - you are close.

schmke 12-21-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 7072964)
Hmmm, I'm interested. Do you charge for it or do you just need test subjects?

I do charge as it does take a bit of time to do, and alas I'm not in a position to do them for free. The cost depends on how many and what leagues/playoffs/tournaments you played in and what is counted in your section, but is usually less than you'd pay to have your racquet restrung. Contact me and I can give you a specific quote.

OrangePower 12-21-2012 08:10 AM

No good can come out of knowing your DNTRP.

Just play each match hard, and whatever happens, happens.

Or to put it another way: Would you change your behavior if you knew your exact DNTRP, and if so, how?

floridatennisdude 12-21-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke (Post 7073450)
I do charge as it does take a bit of time to do, and alas I'm not in a position to do them for free. The cost depends on how many and what leagues/playoffs/tournaments you played in and what is counted in your section, but is usually less than you'd pay to have your racquet restrung. Contact me and I can give you a specific quote.

That's ok. I'm curious, but not that interested.

emilyhex 12-21-2012 08:59 AM

This is a site that has done some dynamic ratings estimations for people in the Florida and MW sections. It won't be the same as the USTA, but I think it's a pretty decent guestimate.

http://www.tennisleaguestats.com/

christo 12-21-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7073551)

Or to put it another way: Would you change your behavior if you knew your exact DNTRP, and if so, how?

No, my behaviour wouldn't change but my awareness would, I for one, don't like the mystery that shrouds a lot of what the USTA does. For instance if I play an NTRP tournament I know EXACTLY how many points I will receive but I can win all my league matches and have NO CLUE about my dynamic rating and now that I am aware that I can thrash a weaker opponent and have that rating decline, well that's typical USTA absurdity. At that point you may as well give every player in a given level, a handicap, like they do in golf.

storypeddler 12-22-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

LOL. Yes, a lot of us probably would. I'm not saying I/we would necessarily start throwing matches, but I'm just as happy winning a match 7-5, 7-5 as I am winning a match 6-0, 6-0. The net result to me would be the same, yet those two scores would be treated far differently by the computer. I'm sure this is exactly why the USTA keeps dynamic ratings secret---so that players can't help themselves in this way.

TommieF 12-22-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

True. Risky situation making the dyn rating public. That could get real ugly fast.

Jack the Hack 12-26-2012 09:25 PM

There was a flaw in the USTA system a few years ago that would reveal the exact DNTRP number. Basically, as I recall, if you appealed your rating on the USTA site, it would send you an e-mail. At that point, if you took that e-mail and displayed the source coding/header information, the DNTRP number was contained within this data. After learning about the flaw, I tried it myself and it was true. I had been bumped up that year, and my appeal was denied. It turned out that I was 0.01 points away from the threshold to be automatically granted the appeal. (In other words, if you were within the 0.01 and 0.05 range from your former rating, they would let you go back down... but I think I was a 0.06.)

Anyway, this is all a moot point now because someone informed the USTA about the hole in their system and it was fixed. I'm sure that some enterprising person can hack their system if properly motivated, but the easiest method might be through human subterfuge. I had thought that USTA League Section Coordinators had access to this information, but that might also be outdated information.

OrangePower 12-26-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack the Hack (Post 7080919)
There was a flaw in the USTA system a few years ago that would reveal the exact DNTRP number. Basically, as I recall, if you appealed your rating on the USTA site, it would send you an e-mail. At that point, if you took that e-mail and displayed the source coding/header information, the DNTRP number was contained within this data. After learning about the flaw, I tried it myself and it was true. I had been bumped up that year, and my appeal was denied. It turned out that I was 0.01 points away from the threshold to be automatically granted the appeal. (In other words, if you were within the 0.01 and 0.05 range from your former rating, they would let you go back down... but I think I was a 0.06.)

Anyway, this is all a moot point now because someone informed the USTA about the hole in their system and it was fixed. I'm sure that some enterprising person can hack their system if properly motivated, but the easiest method might be through human subterfuge. I had thought that USTA League Section Coordinators had access to this information, but that might also be outdated information.

I think they still do. I know someone that works at the local league office and offered to tell me my DNTRP, but I'd rather not know.

NumbersGuy 12-27-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7080967)
I think they still do. I know someone that works at the local league office and offered to tell me my DNTRP, but I'd rather not know.

Indeed they still do.

andfor 12-27-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7080967)

DNTRP info is not supposed to ever be disclosed from those who have access to it to those that don't. If it could be proved someone was giving that information out I have to believe it would be grounds for firing or dismissal from that privilege altogether. However, it would not surprise me that if in some inner circles somewhere in the USTA that info is leaking out from time to time.