Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Reliable ball machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448658)

yogisri 12-20-2012 07:24 AM

Reliable ball machine

I currently own Silent Partner Smart. I'm very disappointed with it. It has broke down three times during last year. Maybe I got a bad machine but at this point I'm looking for robust reliable machine (if such a thing exists -;)

Some of the things I would like to have in a ball machine:
(1) Multi-function remote
(2) Lob option
(3) Rotation - so you can do forehands and backhands at the same time

There are not many reviews available to make an informed decision on this.

I'm specifically looking for experiences of people who have had their machines for more than a year and have been using it regularly.

Thanks a bunch.
Govi

beernutz 12-20-2012 01:50 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the Smart. That's an expensive machine and I can see why you'd be p.o.ed. Except for having to replace my battery twice (once paid for by SP) my Star has been rock-solid. Is there any chance your machine is still under warranty? I think their current warranty is 2 years.

tball 12-21-2012 01:35 PM

I have had my Playmate Volley for ~5 years. Use it 1-2 times per week. No problems whatsoever.

AlfaAce 12-21-2012 07:01 PM

Lobster. Smart phone app = remote control.

3fees 12-21-2012 08:42 PM

Tennis Tudor

Chotobaka 12-22-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7074016)
I have had my Playmate Volley for ~5 years. Use it 1-2 times per week. No problems whatsoever.

You have a great machine. Even the Half-Volley is one of the best built, feature laden machines out there -- and totally upgradable according to my recollection. I will definitely be going with a Playmate when I replace the old SP. The SP has been reliable and has done its job, but in hindsight I wish I had spent the extra money for the Half Volley.

Bolivian10s 01-03-2013 02:59 PM

Regarding the features you mentioned you like, look at the Tennis Tutor Plus with 2 line and 2 function remote control or the Plus Player with Multifunction Remote.

Chotobaka 01-03-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolivian10s (Post 7095778)
Regarding the features you mentioned you like, look at the Tennis Tutor Plus with 2 line and 2 function remote control or the Plus Player with Multifunction Remote.

I used various TT models extensively for years -- in fact, TT's were the first portable ball machines I used. Worst hopper design ever for long term use. Also one of the worst designs when it comes to portability.

x5150 01-22-2013 12:50 AM

Silent partner edge broke down so many times. Replaced electronics card, it got fried when a ball jammed in the ball feed wheels. Third battery now. The handle detached from the machine (it's held together by hot glue?). Machine leaves many balls in the holder that don't roll down into the feeder, probably a dozen every time. Now the rotating thing the balls line up in before rolling down the ramp broke or something. Lifetime is about 2 years.

The tennis tutor machines are very very durable but don't have the luggage handle bar to wheel it around. Lifetime 10 - 20 years.