Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does 4G suck? Are we getting 14g? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448697)

J011yroger 12-20-2012 02:23 PM

Does 4G suck? Are we getting 14g?

Didn't see much about it, and can't search because of 3 char min.

J

cluckcluck 12-20-2012 02:37 PM

Some people on here live by it. I personally, do not like it much, it feels underpowered and dull. But that's just me and I certainly don't speak for anybody on this forum.

Only way to tell is to try it out yerself.

J011yroger 12-20-2012 02:46 PM

I will likely try a set if/when it comes out in something thicker than 16g.

Can anyone comment on durability compared to BBO?

J

TW Staff 12-20-2012 03:00 PM

Towards the end of Jan 2013 it will be available in 15 gauge (1.41mm).

I have found the durability to be inline with Original, if not better. Playability lasts well, too, so not as much of a concern if several days go by between hitting sessions. I've hit 4G in many, many racquets and I really like that string.

Yesterday I hit it in a Jack Kramer Pro Staff strung around 38lbs and it felt awesome. Lots of control and bite to help the ball dip inside the lines after 13.5 ounces of timber had sent it flying.

Chris, TW

TimothyO 12-20-2012 03:48 PM

Far more durable and comfortable than BBO. Outstanding tension maintenance, comparable to natural gut.

Most attractive aspect to me is its control. NOTHING else comes close when used as a cross with gut mains.

I have two frames strung with VS/4G and the third is used to compare other poly crosses. All frames are matched for weight, balance, and SW.

Repeatedly I've tried a different cross, many with which I was pleased prior to 4G's release. In every case I go right back to 4G. Nothing else inspires such confidence in my strokes.

It's definitely low powered, especially as it ages. Even then it still retains some pop and isn't uncomfortable.

It lacks the spin potential of other polys which is the one reason I'm willing to keep dorking around with other polys. And yet as a cross with gut mains I still get excellent spin.

There has been much hype around 4G, especially the "good as gold" tag line. In this case, it really is accurate imo. It's NOT for everyone. If you prefer lower power and tons of control you'll fall in love with it. If you want power and maybe more spin, you might be disappointed.

For me, it's my Broke Back String. "I just can't quit it!" :D

wrxinsc 12-20-2012 03:49 PM

It is my go to string in a hybrid with nv.y in the crosses. Great feel, touch, control, and long lasting playability. It maintains the poly honeymoon longer than any other I have tried. A good match for my game and my relatively powerful and spin friendly racquet (volkl X 8 )

SteveI 12-20-2012 11:29 PM

Getting a ton of hype. I would say a total waste of money for anyone who is not 5.0 or higer that can create a ton of racket head speed and has very long strokes. To use it as a cross with nat gut.. I have no idea.. byt at that price, I think I could find a better cross for less money. if you are a very high end player, DI or up.. go for it. For the average player, super low power, great control.. not the best spin production when using in a full bed or in mains. This string is not for everyone to be sure. Hated it.. but then again...so did others.. but others loved it.

maxpotapov 12-21-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7072750)
Far more durable and comfortable than BBO. Outstanding tension maintenance, comparable to natural gut.

Most attractive aspect to me is its control. NOTHING else comes close when used as a cross with gut mains.

I have two frames strung with VS/4G and the third is used to compare other poly crosses.

You mean it is super slick, and natural gut mains can not make a dent in it and lock in place?

Boricua 12-21-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7072667)
Some people on here live by it. I personally, do not like it much, it feels underpowered and dull. But that's just me and I certainly don't speak for anybody on this forum.

Only way to tell is to try it out yerself.

I think that in full bed or as main with gut crosses or good synthetic gut crosses it could work well in a powerful racket like the APD, Extreme, Pure Drive, etc. The control it gives could counterbalance the power of those rackets. I wil test it next week full bed at 46 pounds in the new 2012 APD.
Ive heard its a good string to use as a cross string with gut mains,

TimothyO 12-21-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7073241)
You mean it is super slick, and natural gut mains can not make a dent in it and lock in place?

It is slick but not as slick as others and 4G unfortunately does dent over time. This is the one feature which keeps me looking for The Ultimate Holy Grail of Poly Crosses. 4G simply doesn't provide as much spin potential as other strings such as Pro Hurricane Tour and Solinco's Outlast.

That being said, it still provides far more spin potential than full poly or full gut. One reassuring event: while using VS/4G I've had three friends recently tell me that I hit with the most spin they've ever faced (remember, we're only crica 3.0/3.5, so it's not like I'm getting compared to Nadal...just other low level rec peasants, err, players.)

I tried VS/4G down around 49/45 in one of my PSGT's and it felt a bit mushy. I'm sticking with VS/4G at 55/51 in my two primary frames. For the third Test Frame I might try VS/4G at 54/49 to reduce pressure on the crosses a bit. Or I might give Outlast another try. Outlast looked like it would be the perfect cross but the tension loss was tremendous over time with a significant loss in control, at least relative to 4G. But spin potential for VS/Outlast was insane and highly addictive. It's just that at my level precision and consistency are more important than hard topspin shots. I should note too that Outlast barely dents at all over time and it's super slick. The mains just glide over the crosses.

J011yroger 12-21-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7072706)

I have found the durability to be inline with Original, if not better. Playability lasts well, too, so not as much of a concern if several days go by between hitting sessions. I've hit 4G in many, many racquets and I really like that string.

Yesterday I hit it in a Jack Kramer Pro Staff strung around 38lbs and it felt awesome. Lots of control and bite to help the ball dip inside the lines after 13.5 ounces of timber had sent it flying.

Chris, TW

Thanks much.

J

J011yroger 12-21-2012 04:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll likely try a full set, and an ALU hybrid when the 15g comes out.

J

thejackal 12-21-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7072706)

Chris, TW

two questions

1) what kind of machine do you use to resting a wood racquet?

2) how did you get the idea to use full poly in a jkps?

Rabbit 12-21-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejackal (Post 7073425)
two questions

1) what kind of machine do you use to resting a wood racquet?

2) how did you get the idea to use full poly in a jkps?

A Prince Neos will string a wood frame. I've strung full poly in wood, it's just a natural "What about" thought :)

polytheist 12-21-2012 07:48 AM

How about 17 gauge? I think 1.20 will be money.

Power Player 12-21-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7072688)
I will likely try a set if/when it comes out in something thicker than 16g.

Can anyone comment on durability compared to BBO?

J

Few things:

Go to google and search by typing "talk tennis" and then what you want to read. Its a game changer.

Second - this stuff for me is the real deal. I have some video posted if you are curious how I hit. Anyway, it is a control string that is suprising durable and only loses a total of 5 pounds of tension for me.

DonBot 12-21-2012 07:55 AM

I just tried 4G in my Volkl C10 pros per Chris' suggestions in his review. Wow absolutely amazing- I am buying a reel....the spin, power, and control is simply amazing. I felt like I could just put the ball on a dime. You really have to try it Jolly, I find it keeps up playability way longer than ALU and I actually think it plays at a higher level fresh. I thought I might be moving on from the C10 before I tried a full bed at 60....I am a convert lol

srvnvly 12-21-2012 09:04 AM

I checked out the page for 4G 16L, and at the bottom, under Similar Items to Consider, is Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tour...UE-UBHB17.html) - in anyone's experience, is this similar to the 4g?

Power Player 12-21-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBot (Post 7073528)
I just tried 4G in my Volkl C10 pros per Chris' suggestions in his review. Wow absolutely amazing- I am buying a reel....the spin, power, and control is simply amazing. I felt like I could just put the ball on a dime. You really have to try it Jolly, I find it keeps up playability way longer than ALU and I actually think it plays at a higher level fresh. I thought I might be moving on from the C10 before I tried a full bed at 60....I am a convert lol

I agree with everything, except power. The string is low powered. Which is really awesome. But I would never describe this as a powerful poly. For example, I find Tour Bite or Black Magic to have a higher power level at the same tension.

4G is a low powered control poly that is one of the best at holding tension on the market. Thats how I'd describe it.

also, Big Hitter blue to me is nothing like it. The feel of Big Hitter is not as good, nor is the durability of the string.

srvnvly 12-21-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7073641)
4G is a low powered control poly that is one of the best at holding tension on the market. Thats how I'd describe it.

also, Big Hitter blue to me is nothing like it. The feel of Big Hitter is not as good, nor is the durability of the string.

Thanks Power Player! 4G seems to be the recommended string for the new Steam 99S - is there a multi remotely close to 4G?