Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   My cool looking license frame (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448702)

acura9927 12-20-2012 03:33 PM

My cool looking license frame

Now isn't this pretty cool.

Got it off e - - b --- a ---y

ollinger 12-20-2012 03:49 PM

1) No, it's not very cool. People will think you're shallow and insubstantial if you consider this something important for people to know about you. Bright girls will wonder why you don't have "I'd rather be reading Proust" or something similarly more mature on your plate. The thing is a bit juvenile.

2) What does it mean, anyway?? You'd rather be playing tennis than sitting in traffic?? Really!!

jaggy 12-20-2012 03:58 PM

What does it matter, the worlds ending

NickC 12-20-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7072763)
What does it matter, the worlds ending

This. Only 4 more hours.

Seth 12-20-2012 04:45 PM

I'd put it on my car.

acura9927 12-20-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7072751)
1) No, it's not very cool. People will think you're shallow and insubstantial if you consider this something important for people to know about you. Bright girls will wonder why you don't have "I'd rather be reading Proust" or something similarly more mature on your plate. The thing is a bit juvenile.

2) What does it mean, anyway?? You'd rather be playing tennis than sitting in traffic?? Really!!

Holy cow you must be the wall holder at parties.

sureshs 12-20-2012 04:57 PM

A van at the club has this plate

LanEvo 12-20-2012 05:05 PM

So you are saying... Playing tennis is better than having sex?

acura9927 12-20-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvo (Post 7072852)
So you are saying... Playing tennis is better than having sex?

I think that plate was sold out.

r2473 12-20-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

1)Bright girls will wonder why you don't have "I'd rather be reading Proust" or something similarly more mature on your plate. The thing is a bit juvenile.

Off topic, but have you ever read Proust? I've read "Swann's Way" twice and had a hell of a time of it. Just couldn't bring myself to read the other 6(?) parts of "Remembrance of things past". Such a unique writing style.

It's not as bad as reading Joyce (and if anyone tells me they understand Ulysses without help from an outside source, I'm calling that person a liar), but its hard enough.

As for the license plate holder........I guess I'd rather not be telling people I'd rather be be playing tennis myself.

Polaris 12-20-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7072876)
Off topic, but have you ever read Proust? I've read "Swann's Way" twice and had a hell of a time of it. Just couldn't bring myself to read the other 6(?) parts of "Remembrance of things past". Such a unique writing style.

"Unique" is not how I'd describe it :). I've been an eighth of the way through Swann's Way for 6 years now! Every time, I have to start from the beginning, and then Marcel describes his problem falling asleep and then Mr. Swann comes to tea. Again and again and again, and then I curse "Marcel, Damn you and your petite madeleines!" :) .

Quote:

It's not as bad as reading Joyce (and if anyone tells me they understand Ulysses without help from an outside source, I'm calling that person a liar), but its hard enough.
Joyce is completely nuts, especially in Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. Haven't finished either one of those, unfortunately. Am thinking of tackling Dubliners first, as it seems like a more normal book.

Quote:

As for the license plate holder........I guess I'd rather not be telling people I'd rather be be playing tennis myself.
I'd be cool with that plate. People just read too much into it, and then the fun is gone.

r2473 12-20-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 7072927)
Joyce is completely nuts, especially in Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. Haven't finished either one of those, unfortunately. Am thinking of tackling Dubliners first, as it seems like a more normal book.

If you want to have even the slightest clue about what is going on in Ulysses, I think this Teaching Company course is your best bet. My local library has a copy. It really did help me a lot.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/c...l.aspx?cid=237

Proust is tough to stick with as he remembers this and that and describes it in such interesting detail. Nothing really much "happens" though. It's just not your normal novel. You really have to commit to living in "Proust's world" when you sit down to read. Certainly takes an interesting mind to write like that.

Polaris 12-20-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7072952)
If you want to have even the slightest clue about what is going on in Ulysses, I think this Teaching Company course is your best bet. My local library has a copy. It really did help me a lot.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/c...l.aspx?cid=237

Thanks. I should check this out.

Quote:

Proust is tough to stick with as he remembers this and that and describes it in such interesting detail. Nothing really much "happens" though.
Exactly.

Quote:

It's just not your normal novel. You really have to commit to living in "Proust's world" when you sit down to read. Certainly takes an interesting mind to write like that.
I always approached it like an autobiography rather than a story or novel. I consider myself a patient reader, but reading Proust -- and not being able to keep at it --- has shown me that I shouldn't be too smug about my patience :) .

tennis_balla 12-21-2012 10:28 AM

Best license plate I ever saw was when I was about 10yrs old, it said; "Work is for people who don't know how to play tennis". 20 years later and working as a tennis coach I have to say I agree :-D

krz 12-21-2012 10:46 AM

My car says "FREE CANDY" on it.

MarinaHighTennis 12-21-2012 10:24 PM

Mine says "In tennis, love means nothing"

Coach Chad 12-22-2012 07:58 AM

Chicks dig tennis...great plate holder.

Dedans Penthouse 12-22-2012 08:35 AM

Mine reads:

-BANNED ON TENNIS WAREHOUSE-
I _______________________________I
- TALK TENNIS MESSAGE BOARD -

acura9927 12-25-2012 06:17 PM

ollinger
Hall Of Fame

You could drive there with your "cool" license plate frame!!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448962

Dude, I am sorry for calling you a wall holder at parties. You dont have to go to another thread of mine and bring this up. How about I ignore you and you ignore me? Peace?

gavna 12-25-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Wow - how pretentious can one get? griping about the lack of a "mature" license plate frame? Does that even exist? Also any females that would get turned on by a "I read Proust" frame is sure as hell not one I'd want to meet........jeez I can see her now......Velma from the Scooby Gang!