Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sun glasses (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448766)

Wilsonbro11 12-21-2012 10:56 AM

Sun glasses
 
If it is sunny outside do you guys play with sun glasses on?

Dave M 12-21-2012 11:06 AM

Yes I do, i know a lot of people don't like the "downside" you get with glasses on but a decent pair of sports glasses can be good enough so you get used to them being on,in fact outdoors, i rarely play without them.

Wilsonbro11 12-21-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 7073798)
Yes I do, i know a lot of people don't like the "downside" you get with glasses on but a decent pair of sports glasses can be good enough so you get used to them being on,in fact outdoors, i rarely play without them.

What kind of sun glasses do you have?

Dave M 12-21-2012 11:37 AM

I have some tennis specific bolle ones with competivision lenses, quit e nice (do not drive in them) mostly though it's oakley frames and many different lenses depending on conditions

BlueB 12-21-2012 11:43 AM

Yes.
I can not even be outside, or drive without shades, unless very cloudy... The pterygium on both eyes is the price I paid for decades of sailing and skiing without any eye protection :(

mikeler 12-21-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 7073857)
Yes.
I can not even be outside, or drive without shades, unless very cloudy... The pterygium on both eyes is the price I paid for decades of sailing and skiing without any eye protection :(

I had the more benign cousin, the Pinguecola crop up in my sun filled teenage years.

makinao 12-21-2012 04:22 PM

I use sunglasses with prescription inserts. Grey for sunny days, yellow for hazy days and late afternoons.

JRstriker12 12-21-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilsonbro11 (Post 7073786)
If it is sunny outside do you guys play with sun glasses on?

Yes. Bought a pair of the Bolle frames with the compete-vision lenses. It was a good buy.

Coach Chad 12-22-2012 08:00 AM

Yes..I wear them. Today I am going to wear my carerra snow ski goggles...sunny and chilly in Orlando today, lol!

Pacific lefty 12-23-2012 01:05 PM

I have a pair of Bolle orvet glasses which are actually kids size and they are perfect, really light and stay in place.

lobman 12-26-2012 06:16 PM

I also use the Bolle glasses; they are great. If you read the data on sun damage to the eyes, you wonder why more tennis players don't wear protection.

JDMasFCK 12-26-2012 06:29 PM

no

10chars

vandre 12-26-2012 07:50 PM

all the time. oakley half jackets with polarized lenses! awesome!

Magic of tennis 12-26-2012 11:14 PM

I have to wear sun glasses ALL THE TIME to protect my eyes except very cloudy day, of course.
I use Oakley live strong one.

adventure 12-27-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilsonbro11 (Post 7073786)
If it is sunny outside do you guys play with sun glasses on?

The uv index is the key piece of information you're interested in. Generally speaking, it's advisable to protect yourself from uv rays outdoors between 10 am and 4 pm.

Also, expensive brands of sunglasses don't offer any more or any better protection. What you want are sunglasses with lenses that offer 99% uv protection or better.

Tennis_Hands 12-27-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic of tennis (Post 7081001)
I have to wear sun glasses ALL THE TIME to protect my eyes except very cloudy day, of course.
I use Oakley live strong one.

Livestrong is just an iteration, not a model name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventure (Post 7081043)
The uv index is the key piece of information you're interested in. Generally speaking, it's advisable to protect yourself from uv rays outdoors between 10 am and 4 pm.

Also, expensive brands of sunglasses don't offer any more or any better protection. What you want are sunglasses with lenses that offer 99% uv protection or better.

Basically all shades with polycarbonate lenses offer "99% uv protection or better".

Optical clarity, absence of distortion and provided contrast are importat for sport.

Alchemy-Z 12-27-2012 03:28 AM

All the Time
I have 3M safety glasses with UV lens that I have come to like.

Picked them up at lowes for yard work...had to use them for a match because I misplaced my regular pair...never went back.

and they are like $19

canny 12-27-2012 09:01 AM

No.. I dont like what they do to my vision. But I havent played during the day in awhile. But with the season starting up and living in Florida I probably should.

mikeler 12-27-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canny (Post 7081524)
No.. I dont like what they do to my vision. But I havent played during the day in awhile. But with the season starting up and living in Florida I probably should.

I sweat too much to wear sunglasses here in Florida.

Magic of tennis 12-28-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Hands (Post 7081053)
Livestrong is just an iteration, not a model name.



Basically all shades with polycarbonate lenses offer "99% uv protection or better".

Optical clarity, absence of distortion and provided contrast are importat for sport.


what is the best one you would suggest? I may need another pair.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse