Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal nervous about coming back! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448788)

Mainad 12-21-2012 03:39 PM

Nadal nervous about coming back!

Says he's nervous about returning to the tour, doesn't yet feel his knee is fully recovered but hopes that will be the case by the time of Monte Carlo, ie. the start of the clay season!

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9ctG?u...ampaign=tennis

DropShotArtist 12-21-2012 04:10 PM

LOL 1 year off tour and not fully recovered? :) He's making excuses already, LOLLLLLLLLLL

Cup8489 12-21-2012 04:20 PM

Christ, take a half a year off and it's still not recovered sufficiently?

Oy vey.

Crisstti 12-21-2012 04:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1O09L-OFdI

Q: How are you, as for today?

Rafa: Fine. I’m better of my knee, I’m not perfect, we’re not going to deceive anyone. I’m better, I’m with hope (or illution) because I see that in these last two months I’ve taken a step forward, which hadn’t happened the first three (months). I’ll start to play in Abu Dhabi and we’ll see how… how everything goes. I have doubts, like it’s normal. Physically, in regards to the knee, of course one has fears, one doesn’t know how it’s going to respond. All you can do is trust the doctors, trust Rafa (Maymo, must be) and that everything'll work out well but… I accept, and I’m prepared to accept that that at the beginning my knee might not respond well, and I might have to take it easy for some months, to compete, to stop, compete, stop, during the first three months more or less, no?. (0:50) This I have more or less accepted and into my head and I’m prepared for it.
(...) I suppose that to try to be fine, physically and tennistically speaking, for IW/Miami, in order to be able to arrive well trained, well prepared physically, well prepared tennistically, to Montecarlo. (1:10) I’m satisfied by… self-improvement, more than by triumph. I know I have improved myself, personally, and that is what gives me tranquillity and happiness…

Whole interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY7CsUPJN5I

Clarky21 12-21-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7074190)
LOL 1 year off tour and not fully recovered? :) He's making excuses already, LOLLLLLLLLLL

1 year? Forget how to count recently?

DropShotArtist 12-21-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7074222)
1 year? Forget how to count recently?

Has he come back yet? ;)

NadalAgassi 12-21-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7074135)
Says he's nervous about returning to the tour, doesn't yet feel his knee is fully recovered but hopes that will be the case by the time of Monte Carlo, ie. the start of the clay season!

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9ctG?u...ampaign=tennis

if he is not fully recovered I worry why he is deciding to come back yet. Maybe a little over anxious and feeling antsy after so long off already. I can understand, but I hope he doesnt led his emotions override logic.

Mike Sams 12-21-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7074232)
Has he come back yet? ;)

:lol: good point. He MAY drop out of the AO for all we know and not come back until clay season.

Mike Sams 12-21-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7074233)
if he is not fully recovered I worry why he is deciding to come back yet. Maybe a little over anxious and feeling antsy after so long off already. I can understand, but I hope he doesnt led his emotions override logic.

You just wonder if it's still the knee injury or if he's a hypochondriac who thinks he's more injured than he really is. He refused to give Rosol any credit for the win at Wimbledon. And it makes you wonder that if Nadal had won that match, would he have quit in the 3rd round considering his claims of just how broken and damaged his knee was.

Mustard 12-21-2012 05:41 PM

Returning to something after a long absence will make you nervous, unless you're either complacent or you don't care.

kishnabe 12-21-2012 05:58 PM

Man I hope he comes back okay. Would not be good to see him come back and quickly dissapear because the knee has not healed properly.

Maybe he should not play AO.....and wait till the clay....at least the natural surface won't hurt as much.

amx13 12-21-2012 09:33 PM

Nah, he just enjoys being the underdog all the time, if he gets back and have so-so or even bad results, it's because of the injuries, long time away from the game, or any other of his infinite excuse list....if he cames back on fire, it's because he is such a great warrior, a grinder, a spartan of tennis...there's always a win-win situation for him

RAFA2005RG 12-21-2012 09:55 PM

Playing the matches is not the biggest challenge. The challenge is training, as he has always trained harder than he plays (apart from during 2012 Roland Garros when he only trained for about an hour each day or less, due to his knee which he had numbed for the matches). He will have to pick and choose his training a bit more judiciously.

Tony48 12-21-2012 09:57 PM

Nadal is supposedly nervous playing Monaco at the French Open.

MarinaHighTennis 12-21-2012 10:07 PM

I would be too if I were him. What if he loses every match coming back when he used to be a beast?

RAFA2005RG 12-21-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7074477)
I would be too if I were him. What if he loses every match coming back when he used to be a beast?

Nadal knows he only needed one knee to beat Djokovic in the 2012 French Open final. Nadal said he had no feeling in his knee after the numbing injection. After you've experienced that and conquered your greatest rival, a bit of pain during the comeback is nothing.

MarinaHighTennis 12-21-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7074484)
Nadal knows he only needed one knee to beat Djokovic in the 2012 French Open final. Nadal said he had no feeling in his knee after the numbing injection. After you've experienced that and conquered your greatest rival, a bit of pain during the comeback is nothing.

Well he hasn't played in several months. Maybe hes no longer as he used to be. I'm only speculating with the OP

RAFA2005RG 12-21-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7074487)
Well he hasn't played in several months. Maybe hes no longer as he used to be. I'm only speculating with the OP

Well he can't be any worse than one-legged Nadal, that is for sure.

smash hit 12-22-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7074242)
He refused to give Rosol any credit for the win at Wimbledon.

Nadal's post match press conference Wimbledon,

Q. After what you saw of your opponent, particularly in the last set, do you think he can go on to be a threat in this tournament? Can he achieve more wins? Can he go a long way in the tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. How old is him?

Q. He's 26.
RAFAEL NADAL: He didn't in the past, but you never know what's going on in the future. The thing is today he played great. He played special.
Sure, if he played the way he played the fifth set, you can win against everybody. But I think everybody who follows tennis knows that that's very difficult to do every day.
But if he's able to do it this time, he will have his chance. I wish him all the best.

Sounds like Nadal gave him the credit he deserved.