Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   tennis in near warrenton,va dec 25th to 27th (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448795)

tenacitytennis 12-21-2012 06:33 PM

tennis in near warrenton,va dec 25th to 27th

Hi will be visisting family and was wondering if there was any good tennis or if anyone 4.5 or up would like to hit?

mikeler 12-21-2012 06:43 PM

You are a new user, so you can't send e-mails yet. I'll send one to McLovin, he lives there and might be able to hit or find you somebody to play against.

tenacitytennis 12-22-2012 04:33 AM

Thanks for the help! How many posts do I need for emails?

mikeler 12-22-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacitytennis (Post 7074647)
Thanks for the help! How many posts do I need for emails?

50 posts and then you can email.

tenacitytennis 12-22-2012 11:34 AM

Ok thanks let me know what he says

McLovin 12-23-2012 04:03 AM

Go to Chestnut Forks:
http://goo.gl/maps/OL0bG
or call @ 540-347-0823

Ask for Derek (if he's around) or Seth. Derek runs the club, Seth is one of the pros (John is the head pro, but I don't know if he is around for the holidays). Just tell them you are a 4.5, are in town for a couple of days & looking to hit.

I know there are a couple of college kids who are 5.0s that are back for the holidays looking to hit. I'm a 4.5 and would hit with you, but I am in Naples, FL for the holidays.

Let me know if you are successful, and who you end up hitting with.

tenacitytennis 12-23-2012 07:25 AM

Hey thanks for the reply! Do you know how much it would cost? Do you know what colleges they come from? I for sure will keep you posted!
Thanks

McLovin 12-23-2012 09:45 AM

One plays down at CNU (Christopher Newport, near VA Beach), another for a DII school in PA (forgot the name) and another is getting his maters in Arizona, so he doesn't play for a college team, but still plays club.

Also, Seth is a very strong 4.5 (probably more like a 5.0).

Court fees are ~ $30/hr, depending on day/time, but there is also a $5 guest fee. Courts were resurfaced this past Sept.

tenacitytennis 12-23-2012 07:22 PM

really arizona? uofa or asu? nau? if you dont mind telling me his name as i grew up there

McLovin 12-25-2012 03:54 AM

His name is Harwood Hoskins. I can't remember which school he's going to, but I know it's not a major university. I believe he's going for his masters in accounting/finance (or something like that).

tenacitytennis 12-26-2012 03:15 PM

Ok never heard of harwood but got in a hit with seth who was pretty strong... he said he was well above 5.0 when I hit with him but I could see where he would struggle kyle tobin is the other guy? Where does he play? Never got to hit though just wondering for future

McLovin 12-26-2012 06:29 PM

Yeah, I believe Seth is above a 5.0, but I didn't know his exact rating. We've hit many times, most of the time he wins the 1st set 6-2, then I win the 2nd 6-2. But in all honesty, that is because he's out of shape. If he's in shape, he'd win 2 & 2 most of the time.

Kyle plays at CNU. I've hit with him since he was a senior in high school. He has a 'live arm', meaning he can smack the hell out of the ball. Until last year, I'd beat him 5 & 2, but this past summer he started getting the ball in more than before, and I was simply a spectator. Damn these young kids...

Once you get to 50 posts, shoot me an e-mail and if you're in town again, we can get together & hit.

tenacitytennis 12-27-2012 06:04 PM

haha nice would you say that kyle was stronger than seth or maybe even? I will let you know if I am ever in town again and I will be working on that 50 posts also haha...

mikeler 12-28-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacitytennis (Post 7082210)
haha nice would you say that kyle was stronger than seth or maybe even? I will let you know if I am ever in town again and I will be working on that 50 posts also haha...

Only 7 more to go...

McLovin 12-30-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacitytennis (Post 7082210)
haha nice would you say that kyle was stronger than seth or maybe even?

I would rank them like this:

Serve: Seth (that lefty kick it killer)
Forehand: Tie
Backhand: Kyle
Volley: Seth (although both prefer the baseline)
Intangibles: Kyle

If they played today, Kyle would probably win, only because he's still in college, and Seth is teaching and not playing competitively. Seth is more athletic and has more variety. Kyle has tons of talent, and I don't think I've seen a better pure ball striker come through our club, but at times he doesn't seem to have the pure desire/drive others have.

But let me be clear: If both are playing regularly, they would (and in all honesty should) take me in straight sets.