Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Forgive me you Sissies (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448802)

Mick3391 12-21-2012 11:23 PM

Forgive me you Sissies

Grow up! Quit whining, asking for advice, you going to be a star listening to our tips?

Go out there and be a man! I started playing at like 12 with my brother who was 21, I lost, lost, lost, but had desire, so got better and wipped him. Just go do your own thing or stop whining. Can't serve? Then PRACTICE! Poor forehand? PRACTICE!

There is no magical formula we can give you to lean, do what we did, that is work our tails off to get good, lose, win, win, lose, just fight through it. Run up to 5 miles, but also do sprints. Practice against a wall, just STOP with the "If I only hold my hand ......." nonsense.

I'm sorry, I just see so many wooses on this forum, can't play there is no suggestion for you except for you to play and learn yourself, how do you think we learned?

Even those who go to Tennis Academies only learn what they are taught, Tennis is much more than what you are taught, it's like boxing, unique to you.

TomT 12-21-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7074485)
Grow up! Quit whining, asking for advice, you going to be a star listening to our tips?

Go out there and be a man! I started playing at like 12 with my brother who was 21, I lost, lost, lost, but had desire, so got better and wipped him. Just go do your own thing or stop whining. Can't serve? Then PRACTICE! Poor forehand? PRACTICE!

There is no magical formula we can give you to lean, do what we did, that is work our tails off to get good, lose, win, win, lose, just fight through it. Run up to 5 miles, but also do sprints. Practice against a wall, just STOP with the "If I only hold my hand ......." nonsense.

I'm sorry, I just see so many wooses on this forum, can't play there is no suggestion for you except for you to play and learn yourself, how do you think we learned?

Even those who go to Tennis Academies only learn what they are taught, Tennis is much more than what you are taught, it's like boxing, unique to you.

:) Good points, imo, Mick. After all, how did instructors learn what they preach? I think most people are smart enough to have a pretty good idea what they have to do to improve, but are just not willing to do the necessary work. I could be wrong about that. (And, yes, I'm certainly guilty of being lazy and a wuss at times.) Maybe some people really don't have a clue. But I find that hard to believe. I think it's mostly what you're talking about. Lack of willingness to do the necessary work to improve.

Supposing that someone is genuinely intellectually, analytically, and maybe even physically, challenged regarding tennis (and I might be one such person), then it follows that the only way for such a person to be competitive at ever higher levels is to actually do more experimentation, more work, more quality repetition, than more gifted competitors.

Anyway, bottom line, yeah, don't whine ... work. Or find another, maybe easier, hobby.

Mick3391 12-22-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7074498)
:) Good points, imo, Mick. After all, how did instructors learn what they preach? I think most people are smart enough to have a pretty good idea what they have to do to improve, but are just not willing to do the necessary work. I could be wrong about that. (And, yes, I'm certainly guilty of being lazy and a wuss at times.) Maybe some people really don't have a clue. But I find that hard to believe. I think it's mostly what you're talking about. Lack of willingness to do the necessary work to improve.

Supposing that someone is genuinely intellectually, analytically, and maybe even physically, challenged regarding tennis (and I might be one such person), then it follows that the only way for such a person to be competitive at ever higher levels is to actually do more experimentation, more work, more quality repetition, than more gifted competitors.

Anyway, bottom line, yeah, don't whine ... work. Or find another, maybe easier, hobby.

I really appreciate that Tom, I felt bad once I hit "Submit Reply", maybe just in a bad mood, but yea it seems like everyone wants some magical ride or formula, my "Magical Formula" was YEARS of playing, learning what works and what doesn't, and not even being aware of it enough to teach my son, I just "Do", so to teach takes much thought as to how I have my feet, my grip, everything.

It just seems in modern society that you can learn to play a certain way. Again I stand by, and I can be corrected, but I'm convinced no one taught Fed to be Fed, yea he saw Sampras, yea he had teachers, but who could teach that Rythmn?

Anyways, thanks, I try not to create any ripples on this forum, everyone's a tough guy behind a computer, but really it's a matter of getting a SMALL WOOD RACQUET, PLAYING ALL THE TIME, then get a bigger racquet, and just do it. I use a 95 K-Factor, I love my 90, but can't believe anyone can't hit anything they want with the GIANT head of the 95.

God bless and merry Christmass Tom T!

J011yroger 12-22-2012 02:45 AM

J

Hi I'm Ray 12-22-2012 02:59 AM

I don't agree with some stuff here like the wooden rackets part, 95's being gigantic, or asking for advice is somehow wrong.

Once past the combative and condescending tone there are actually a few things that I agree with. Get lots of practice. How does someone hit sharp angles, serve at ___ speed, have great foot work/movement, etc.? They spend countless hours practicing. There are some shots I can't hit anymore because I don't have a coach anymore to practice those shots with, practice drills, etc. Yes, many players are lazy as hell - I met a few that talk like they are so interested in improving so I suggest some drills/practice. Once they see how much trouble they have with it (a huge sign of needing more practice) they don't want to do it anymore after the first attempt. A year goes by and they are doing no better in those areas. Some only want to hit or play games, but there's no way of getting around the need to practice/train.

pushing_wins 12-22-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

merry christmas

luvforty 12-22-2012 07:08 AM

practice is important, but I'd say that's about 30% of the improvement... the other 70% is understanding.... that's why good coaching (by others or self) is so important.

Tennis is the most technical sport... practicing the wrong thing will never improve a player.

Bagumbawalla 12-22-2012 09:56 AM

Although not very tactfully expressed, I agree with the underlying concept. At least 70% of all the questions submitted, here, could be answered in exactly the same way- Practice, work on drills, work on fitness and movement, study the game, get coaching/instruction if you can afford it, test your skills by competing with a variety of players with different styles, continue to recognize and improve your weaknesses.

Having said that,there are the other 30% that have questions or videos that can benefit from advice.

sureshs 12-22-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Even those who go to Tennis Academies only learn what they are taught,

How do you know that?

slowfox 12-22-2012 12:37 PM

Don't ask for forgiveness. Just dish out the tough love... yeah baby! :)

Mick 12-22-2012 01:07 PM

A problem with seeking advices here is most of the time you would get advices involving the execution of shots that are beyond your playing level.

Mister drool 12-22-2012 01:07 PM

i'm guessing someone got dumped by theyr girlfriend tonight...

sundaypunch 12-22-2012 03:08 PM

It would appear that Mick3391 is off the wagon again......

Passion4Tennis 12-22-2012 03:09 PM

I had an indoor match scheduled for tomorrow, but I had to cancel it due to a blister on my pinky. I put a band-aid on it, but it still hurts like the dickens. Has anyone else been in a similar circumstance and played through the pain?

Maui19 12-22-2012 03:12 PM

Practicing bad form won't make you better. It will only insure that you will have consistently bad form.

Mick3391 12-22-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister drool (Post 7075213)
i'm guessing someone got dumped by theyr girlfriend tonight...

I'm laughing my head off with this post!!!!!!! No I didn't, but that's funny:)

No, I mean I started with my son, and I know my past, I mean I try to teach my son for example all court play, baseline, play at the net, and I'm a player, no teacher, I just don't think you can say "Well when the ball comes cut it down for slice", and that will solve it. I can say that, and he gets it over time, but Tennis I have found out is actually hard to learn, so my heart does go out, but there is no substitution for practice.

My son makes shots I never taught him, a short side slice to my left, but enough pace on it so I can't get near it, now I never taught him that, he got that out of playing 6 hours a day!

So yea I'm sorry for my post, but I do think there can be some good from it, you learn, in tennis, from playing, the racquet is an extention not just of the arm but mind, that's why it's so great.

But yea when we see these posts, "I'm a 4.0, help me with my serve", I'm like "What", just serve more, watch the pro's, get broad strokes.

When I played Justin Bower, he was gracious enough to hit with my son. He brought him up and said, "Do you know the three main styles of the best"? Mick was a little puzzled, Justin said "Well Nadal takes a shot and hits it back with placement with huge topspin, Djoke moves and hits hard flat shots, Federer does it all depending on the situation", to me that's great teaching, just broad strokes.

I mean I teach Mick to run around backhand and with all shots at his level fire it to the backhand, which is effective against kids, I teach him how to play the net, just the basics, I mean I'm no teacher.

BY THE WAY, finally I taught him a serve. I did all these videos, well hold yourself this way, do this, do that, no way! It's too confusing, finally I just told him when we rally to throw the ball up as high as you can and when it starts to drop nail it, he will FIND HIS SERVE.

Anyways thanks all for being kind

Mick3391 12-22-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7074572)

J

I love your moniker, but you left out the rest, can't believe one movie has had such a profound effect on society.

"I'm your huckleberry and that's just my game"

Or my favorite line, "My darling, we must talk, it appears we must redifine the nature of our association"

God bless you guys and Merry Christmas!

Mick3391 12-22-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 7074581)
I don't agree with some stuff here like the wooden rackets part, 95's being gigantic, or asking for advice is somehow wrong.

Once past the combative and condescending tone there are actually a few things that I agree with. Get lots of practice. How does someone hit sharp angles, serve at ___ speed, have great foot work/movement, etc.? They spend countless hours practicing. There are some shots I can't hit anymore because I don't have a coach anymore to practice those shots with, practice drills, etc. Yes, many players are lazy as hell - I met a few that talk like they are so interested in improving so I suggest some drills/practice. Once they see how much trouble they have with it (a huge sign of needing more practice) they don't want to do it anymore after the first attempt. A year goes by and they are doing no better in those areas. Some only want to hit or play games, but there's no way of getting around the need to practice/train.

You don't have to agree, but ask some on this forum, or guys I play with, they carry a 75 inch wood head to sharpen their skills, heh if you can hit that you can do anything. Then when you get a PS 90, you think "Man this is huge", which is good.

Mick3391 12-22-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 7075353)
Practicing bad form won't make you better. It will only insure that you will have consistently bad form.

Of course you are right, but does taking advice on this forum equate to good form?

I'm telling you, we become good by PLAYING, hours and hours, years and years, you may be told "Eastern Grip is best", yet when playing you might, on some shots go to Continental.

Example, I play a 4 1/4 inch grip, and I'm 6'1" with huge hands, the small grip allows me more movement to touch shots, but that's just me, as it should be to all of us.

Phonco 12-22-2012 05:31 PM

I an extent, I agree. There isn't some magical tip or advice that will make you a better player. A lot of it is practice and hours on the court. You'll end up grooving strokes, developing smoothness, and finding out your particular style.

However, I don't understand what you mean by 'wussies' though. I feel it's fine to ask others for some advice. Maybe someone else can see something you can't, or mention an idea you never would have thought of. As long as you don't expect instant, magical cures/fixes. As others have pointed out, you don't want to ingrain bad form. For people developing strokes, I think it's to make sure you have the basics down, and confirmation from others is quite assuring. This is why the pros have different styles, but the same basic stroke mechanics. You could possibly develop these basics on your own, but why go through that extra wasted time figuring it out when someone can tell you what's missing from your foundation.

I will say, however, that after understanding the basics comes sheer repetition, exploration and practice. Find what works for you, what's comfortable, and what's repeatable. We can say do this and do that, but nothing beats implementation out on the courts.