Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What is current thinking on resveratrol? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448815)

blastforehand 12-22-2012 08:45 AM

What is current thinking on resveratrol?
 
What is the current thinking on resveratrol? WebMD seems to say more studies are needed, etc., but life is so short. Are medical doctors/scientists/critical thinkers taking it? What might be a reasonable dosage?

ollinger 12-22-2012 10:28 AM

That's pretty much the current thinking -- more studies are needed, there's a paucity of decent evidence. Interestingly, there's no good reason to think resveratrol is the thing in red wine that may be helpful in reducing heart disease. A study out of Toronto some years ago showed that both a glass of white wine or a glass of beer a day had the same helpful effect, probably because low doses of alcohol can shift the cholesterol balance a bit from VLDL towards HDL. If life seems short and you want to take resveratrol, then take it. I haven't heard any suggestion that there's harm in it.

WildVolley 12-22-2012 12:41 PM

There was an academic scandal with Prof. Das photo-shopping western blots. My guess is that it has hurt retail sales of res, but that doesn't seem to have effected most of the other research.

Resveratrol does some fairly amazing stuff in animal studies (almost doubling mice endurance), but it hasn't been proven to carry over to humans yet.

I don't take it, but it seems to be one of the promising supplements. I still consider it worth watching. The latest thinking is that you need to take a fairly significant dose to get results (I'm sure that the retailers enjoy this thinking.)

r2473 12-22-2012 01:29 PM

I heard that resveratrol causes cancer and makes you impotent.

SystemicAnomaly 12-22-2012 08:04 PM

Instead of spending a lot of $$$ on res supplements, try eating more boiled peanuts and red grapes and drinking a bit of red wine. Boiled peanuts provide much higher levels of resveratrol than raw peanuts or peanut butter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resvera...selected_foods

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7075296)
I heard that resveratrol causes cancer and makes you impotent.

You heard it wrong. I believe that what was said is that resveratrol is more difficult to spell than cancer. Being able to spell resveratrol, in some circles, will make you more important.

Champs990411 07-17-2013 03:01 PM

A few health forums feature scores of people reporting joint and tendon issues after taking resveratrol. I would add myself to the list. When I returned to tennis three years ago I really did some tendon damage. Unresolved basically, too. This stuff may have played a role. Careful.

Nostradamus 07-17-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7075701)
Instead of spending a lot of $$$ on res supplements, try eating more boiled peanuts and red grapes and drinking a bit of red wine. Boiled peanuts provide much higher levels of resveratrol than raw peanuts or peanut butter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resvera...selected_foods



You heard it wrong. I believe that what was said is that resveratrol is more difficult to spell than cancer. Being able to spell resveratrol, in some circles, will make you more important.

Boiled peanuts taste Yukky. If natural way is wanted then I think Jamba juice or something similar really is a great way to go. Great health effects and gives you energy for the match as well.

sureshs 07-17-2013 03:19 PM

^^^^ What happened to your resveratrol experiments? Weren't you taking them a lot at one time?

Nostradamus 07-17-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7597332)
^^^^ What happened to your resveratrol experiments? Weren't you taking them a lot at one time?

Not sure what you are talking about. I take Fish oil and Jamba juice before and after the match. Also I am thinking about changing to Cherry Bundy used by USC tennis team. I heard it is the BEST stuff out there for tennis players.

GuyClinch 07-17-2013 03:34 PM

I don't think any 'outside the body' anti-oxidants work beyond a certain point. The thing is human cells make their own anti-oxidants. These anti-oxidants are probably far more effective the ones taken outside the body that pass through our digestive system.

http://www.dw.de/new-research-shows-...nts/a-16548128

The problem that we generally face is that scientists haven't worked out celluar metabolism yet. Its tremendously complicated. Thus they are just 'guessing." Hey this is a strong anti-oxidant - maybe we need that. Maybe its why the french live longer.. Sounds good - but very often they are wrong. It was just a guess in the first place.

WildVolley 07-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyClinch (Post 7597377)
I don't think any 'outside the body' anti-oxidants work beyond a certain point. The thing is human cells make their own anti-oxidants. These anti-oxidants are probably far more effective the ones taken outside the body that pass through our digestive system.

http://www.dw.de/new-research-shows-...nts/a-16548128

The problem that we generally face is that scientists haven't worked out celluar metabolism yet. Its tremendously complicated. Thus they are just 'guessing." Hey this is a strong anti-oxidant - maybe we need that. Maybe its why the french live longer.. Sounds good - but very often they are wrong. It was just a guess in the first place.

I think it depends on what the anti-oxidants are used for. I consider the eye photos that show artery clearing due to vitamin C supplementation the strongest evidence that Vitamin C does have some real effects. I don't know if it will make you live longer, but that's the sort of strong evidence that you just can't get from statistical studies.

The research on most natural supplements is poor because the researcher can't get a patent on the supplement being researched. This is why most research money goes into novel compounds created by pharmaceutical companies.

Reseveratrol apparently does some amazing things for animals, unfortunately, the same thing hasn't been demonstrated in humans.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse