Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Leg strenght? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448825)

luishcorreia 12-22-2012 11:16 AM

Leg strenght?

Important for tennis. We all know that.
How. To improve it?

slowfox 12-22-2012 11:30 AM

Squats. Leg presses. Consult your local physical trainer.

colowhisper 12-22-2012 11:31 AM

Modern power yoga. Ideal for tennis players for its combination of strength training without mass increase, balance and flexibility.

LeeD 12-22-2012 11:44 AM

Not only pure lb's strength, but explosion is needed....and some endurance.
I can leg press easy 210 lbs., 30 reps, but I can't cover alley to alley.
I can body press close to 370 lbs., still can't jump worth beans.
I'm 158 lbs., apparently now.
Explosion and endurace are every bit as important.

sureshs 12-22-2012 12:00 PM

Walking up stairs is the simplest way

WildVolley 12-22-2012 12:43 PM

I think the best exercises (considering a healthy individual) are sprinting and weight lifting (squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts - or just high pulls).

Once you have a strength base, you can start working in plyometrics and jumping exercises, which require significant recovery periods.

r2473 12-22-2012 01:26 PM

For men, squat 2.5x your bodyweight. DON'T pick up another tennis racquet until you can do this. You are risking serious injury.

Women should train by cracking coconuts with their thighs (and using the coconut oil for cooking).

Ronaldo 12-22-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7075181)
Not only pure lb's strength, but explosion is needed....and some endurance.
I can leg press easy 210 lbs., 30 reps, but I can't cover alley to alley.
I can body press close to 370 lbs., still can't jump worth beans.
I'm 158 lbs., apparently now.
Explosion and endurace are every bit as important.

What is a body press?

3fees 12-22-2012 03:07 PM

Humm, 1st start with exercises, knee bends,hill climbers, rolling splits and then hop your way to stand up, then move on to added weight

Mick3391 12-22-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luishcorreia (Post 7075158)
Important for tennis. We all know that.
How. To improve it?

My family curse is that we have natural, muscular strong legs with less muscle cells up top!

When I went through my phase like most guys do, working out to be big, I always struggled with upper body, NEVER worked out my legs. So yea I'm quick in short springs, but not in distance.

But yea listen to these guys, work them out like others, also as horrible as sprints are, and I can't say for sure it would seem your body would adapt.

Roddick85 12-23-2012 12:47 PM

Leg strength is important yes, but you don't see tennis pro's squatting huge numbers. I would concentrate more on endurance and explosive movements that will help your footwork more than squatting huge amount of weights. Lunges not only help you develop strength, they also mimick some of the movements we do when we get to a ball. Skipping rope is also excellent to develop explosive steps and build your endurance, it will build up your calves as well. If you really insist on squatting or leg press, I suggest you focus on technique and making sure your lower back isn't doing all the work. Lots of lifters tend to increase the lbs which causes they're form to suffer and that usually causes injuries. Building a solid bodyweight squat with perfect form is a good way to start, it will help you build endurance and proper technique before adding weight.