Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What is your most effective shot and why? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448845)

Mick3391 12-22-2012 05:14 PM

What is your most effective shot and why?

Good topic.

Mine is backhand. It's the most "Effective", not because it's better than forehand, but most good players go to my backhand, and it's effective as I can drive it anywhere I want, down the line, cross-court, lob.

I got it because, and nothing of anyting taught me, but I learned to attack my weakness, so it's become a great weapon, deceptive also, someone drives a monster shot to my backhand they relax just a sec, then it's gone.

So for me backhand, what about you and why?

InspectorRacquet 12-22-2012 05:57 PM

Like most people, my most effective shot is my forehand. I can put a lot of pace into a shot, I can put a lot of spin, or I can do a measure of both (which is my standard rally shot). It is also the only shot in my arsenal where I can hit angles consistently. The lasso-follow through also allows me to mix it up, which I can't do with my backhand.

The Meat 12-22-2012 07:03 PM

Slice backhand, looks awesome and neutralizes anything that comes to my backhand side.

firepanda 12-23-2012 12:40 AM

Topspin lob. I never use it though, because I always elect to try the flashier passing-shots. :p

TimothyO 12-23-2012 04:23 AM

Mine is a two shot combo. From ad side either serve wide or During rally hit cosscourt groudstroke very deep to the corner followed by flat or slice backhand down the line (one hand backhand).

I don't even hit it that hard. I just aim the bounce so the opponent needs to run to the side AND diagonally to get the ball, whether short or deep. I also sometimes add side spin so it bounces away and outside the court to my left, opponent's right.

In most cases opponent can't reach it. If they do they usually hit a floater cross court to the center or deuce which I put away.

My wife calls it my one-two punch and it really annoys her.

USS Tang 12-23-2012 05:23 AM

Two-hand slice forehand with sidespin. Dominant hand on bottom, non-dominant just above it. I am right-handed. Ball crosses low over net, barely bounces, and veers off to right-hander's left side, pulling him out of court. Can be alternated with drop shot by taking same full swing but slowing it down.

slowfox 12-23-2012 09:46 AM

Flat with a little underspin drive 1handed backhand, but only if my footwork is cooperating that day...

Hollandtennis 12-23-2012 09:56 AM

Flat serve every time. Either to corners or body for the weak return.

ShoeShiner 12-23-2012 11:10 AM

Running FH wide angle cross court shot
My style is counter puncher. I am often attacked by some solid two-handed BH opponents to my one-handed BH side.
They always try to end point with BH down-the-line shots, that I punch them back with running FH.

Roddick85 12-23-2012 01:53 PM

Slice serve on the deuce side, landing on the corner or just before that. I got so many aces this year with that serve, more so than my flat serve.

My inside-in forehand is also pretty effective. Love hitting that shots when someone keeps sending to my backhand expecting a weak return and I walk around and crush it down the line.

Relinquis 12-24-2012 02:06 AM

the most effective is the drop shot as most people are horrible at the net.

Metalica 12-24-2012 05:40 AM

forehand and slice backhand. Fernando Gonzalez much? hehe

TomT 12-26-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7075494)
Good topic.

Mine is backhand. It's the most "Effective", not because it's better than forehand, but most good players go to my backhand, and it's effective as I can drive it anywhere I want, down the line, cross-court, lob.

I got it because, and nothing of anyting taught me, but I learned to attack my weakness, so it's become a great weapon, deceptive also, someone drives a monster shot to my backhand they relax just a sec, then it's gone.

So for me backhand, what about you and why?

Other than my first serve, and crosscourt topspin forehand, I would have to say that my undercut backhand approach is my most effective shot. A few examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7Yuq4spD8

Cindysphinx 12-26-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firepanda (Post 7075821)
Topspin lob. I never use it though, because I always elect to try the flashier passing-shots. :p

To me, an effective shot is one that makes your opponent abandon their Plan A the first couple of times you execute it.

Topspin lob stops people from crashing the net willy nilly. It allows you to move the opponent around. It backs people up or makes them hit on the rise. It moves the ball out of the strike zone, especially for one handed players. It gives you time to get to net.

And for my level, very few women can hit a topspin lob. By the time the opponent has figured it out, the match may be over.

TomT 12-26-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7080884)
To me, an effective shot is one that makes your opponent abandon their Plan A the first couple of times you execute it.

Topspin lob stops people from crashing the net willy nilly. It allows you to move the opponent around. It backs people up or makes them hit on the rise. It moves the ball out of the strike zone, especially for one handed players. It gives you time to get to net.

And for my level, very few women can hit a topspin lob. By the time the opponent has figured it out, the match may be over.

I totally agree. Topspin lobs are the bane of my normal (opportunistic, and often willy nilly, net approach) game. When playing a moonballing and effective topspin lobber I have to alter my game somewhat. I generally lose to this sort of player (unless I'm having a particularly good day and just don't let them into points). To be honest, I doubt that, at my age, I'll ever be able to beat the sort of player (and there are some at even the 3.5 level) who hits consistent heavy topspin groundstrokes and really good topspin lobs. Just too much for me to handle.

Head Pegger 12-26-2012 10:28 PM

100mph+ flat serve
Deuce side out wide with some side spin
Breaks ankles

TomT 12-26-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Pegger (Post 7080923)
100mph+ flat serve
Deuce side out wide with some side spin
Breaks ankles

Yeah, I call those 'wavers'. No point in breaking an ankle trying to get to them. Better just to say hello and goodbye as they slide quickly by ... oh so far out of reach. :) Luckily for me, nobody at my level serves like that.

Head Pegger 12-26-2012 10:41 PM

Haha yeah
I get aced plenty of times. Sometimes I can't do anything about it
But I certainly don't lose sleep over getting aced. Does not affect me whatsoever in matches. All I do is put them in their places in my service game.

Jason130497 12-29-2012 03:02 AM

Flat down the line one handed backhand. Been working on this shot for a while and now it's come good and it's lethal. People tend to think that my backhand is the weaker shot from people playing me before but now they whack it at my back hand I just take a short swing and move forward and BANG down the line and a winner :)

Bowtiesarecool 12-29-2012 04:59 AM

Tie between ad-side flat first serve out wide, and a heavy sidespin slice that causes the opponent to dump the ball into the net or miss the ball completely.