Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   check out my "Frankenstring" setup! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448890)

BruceD 12-23-2012 11:10 AM

check out my "Frankenstring" setup!

After seeing all the hype about Wilson's new steam-Spin racquets and noticing they use a 17x15 string setup I though,"I wonder if I can duplicate this on one of my racquets?". So I took out 'ol Mr. Wilson, a '10 K-Factor Bold that had lost some of it's appeal for me, and proceeded to see which strings would be best left out to produce something like it.
I came up with a 16x15 setup and went over to my stringer friend Micheal to do the deed!
Using Pro's Pro Vendetta on the mains and Gamma syn-gut on the crosses produced a very open pattern in the sweet-spot area.
After only a few "bounce tests" I can see this WILL produce more spin!
Today I will go hit the ball to see exactly what it did.
Will I get more spin? Will I get an unplayable racquet, with TOO much power in the sweet spot and nowhere else? Will it just break the strings on the first few hits?
These questions, along with my findings will be posted later on today.
I'm hoping to make an older design into something that would cost FAR less than a new racquet.

canny 12-23-2012 11:20 AM

im looking forward to the play test. I read tennis.com article on the racquets and seem promising. Theoretically it should produce alot more spin.

mmk 12-23-2012 11:32 AM

While it will make for an interesting experiment, from my understanding it would not be legal for USTA play, as the string density in the center of the frame has the same as or higher than at the outer edges which your pattern isn't.

SteveI 12-23-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 7076386)
While it will make for an interesting experiment, from my understanding it would not be legal for USTA play, as the string density in the center of the frame has the same as or higher than at the outer edges which your pattern isn't.

Sorry to say most USTA players have no clue about equipement or strings. You could make it to the Nationals before anyone might notice. They are all looking for foot faults or planning their next season best "sandbaging" team to win a 3.0 league.

:-)

Andyroo10567 12-23-2012 01:36 PM

Well, time to go try this on my old head.

Ronaldo 12-23-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7076544)
Sorry to say most USTA players have no clue about equipement or strings. You could make it to the Nationals before anyone might notice. They are all looking for foot faults or planning their next season best "sandbaging" team to win a 3.0 league.

:-)

Don't take this for granted. Had a singles player ask an official to measure the head of my teammate's racquet to determine if it were legal. Our singles player was 65 at the time. Another needle***** move.

db10s 12-23-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 7076570)
Don't take this for granted. Had a singles player ask an official to measure the head of my teammate's racquet to determine if it were legal. Our singles player was 65 at the time. Another needle***** move.

What racket was it? Can't imagine someone doing that....

Ronaldo 12-23-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7076584)
What racket was it? Can't imagine someone doing that....

Been 10 yrs but it was either Wilson's Outer Limits or some giant Head racquet. But to pull that move on Gramps who was just eligible for Social Security, come on?

SteveI 12-23-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 7076570)

I bet in true USTA spirit you were winning that match... Class move.. measure a 65 year olds racket. BTW... how does one measure the head of a racket on the court??? Was the offical able to measure square inches?

Ronaldo 12-23-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7076614)
I bet in true USTA spirit you were winning that match... Class move.. measure a 65 year olds racket. BTW... how does one measure the head of a racket on the court??? Was the offical able to measure square inches?

Was busy with my own match. At least the incident occured before the match started. Yes the old man won for the 19th time that year.

SteveI 12-23-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 7076623)
Was busy with my own match. At least the incident occured before the match started. Yes the old man won for the 19th time that year.

Good for him!!!!!

Ronaldo 12-23-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7076626)
Good for him!!!!!

Not so good at sectionals, 20 yr olds with two legs and a racquet sent him packing back to the Shady Grove Home for the Weary.

db10s 12-23-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7076614)

Length.... I think.

It says head... but thats the only thing I could think of.

Ronaldo 12-23-2012 03:01 PM

Curious how long the strings last with such an open pattern. TW University has an article on string patterns and spin potential, http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...ingpattern.php

db10s 12-23-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 7076645)
Curious how long the strings last with such an open pattern. TW University has an article on string patterns and spin potential, http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...ingpattern.php

That was pretty cool!

BruceD 12-25-2012 05:06 PM

Power and SPIN!!

Success! Now I get more trampoline effect AND incredible amounts of spin!

I don't plan on entering any USTA event soon, so I'm not too concerned about the 'legality' of my monster!

Andyroo10567 12-25-2012 05:14 PM

^^ Now that's what im talking about!! Im going to probably try it on one of my old Prestiges. I'll post some pics when i get around it.

fortun8son 12-26-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceD (Post 7079192)
Success! Now I get more trampoline effect AND incredible amounts of spin!

I don't plan on entering any USTA event soon, so I'm not too concerned about the 'legality' of my monster!

I'm glad it's working for you.
Tournament legality aside, if it increases your enjoyment, go for it.
Now, let's see how long it lasts.

MikeHitsHard93 12-26-2012 01:09 PM

I can imagine that your stringer was both happy and confused about stringing less crosses lol

fortun8son 12-26-2012 01:20 PM

I was the stringer.'Twas not bad at all.
I was more concerned with deformation.
I wanted to string the crosses tighter.
It shortened 1/8 inch coming off the machine.