Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Towsend and Australian Open 2013 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448896)

julian 12-23-2012 12:06 PM

Towsend and Australian Open 2013

Did Towsend get a wild card for the Australian Open 2013?

BSPE84 12-23-2012 02:47 PM

There's a 14-year old out there who can beat her?? Pretty amazing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/sp...MsoU5t3lq3Y/Lw

julian 12-23-2012 03:08 PM

TOWNSEND DID NOT go to Georgia

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPE84 (Post 7076635)
There's a 14-year old out there who can beat her?? Pretty amazing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/sp...MsoU5t3lq3Y/Lw

TOWNSEND DID NOT go to Georgia to the best of my understanding
No Australian Open 2013-no wild card
There is a chance that her career is over
See as well
http://www.tennisalternative.com/ten...en-rn1890.html

tball2day 12-23-2012 03:59 PM

A lot of great players don't go to AO. The junior AO is always a notch below the other ones, and just filled with the players that can afford the tickets. It's too far and exhausting. Townsend just signed with Lagardere Unlimited, she has funding, I would think she is getting ready for the pro level which means a lot of changes for her personally, to her game, and her fitness, etc. Her career is not over.

julian 12-23-2012 04:24 PM

Just to clarify

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball2day (Post 7076701)
A lot of great players don't go to AO. The junior AO is always a notch below the other ones, and just filled with the players that can afford the tickets. It's too far and exhausting. Townsend just signed with Lagardere Unlimited, she has funding, I would think she is getting ready for the pro level which means a lot of changes for her personally, to her game, and her fitness, etc. Her career is not over.

The original idea was to play the SENIOR AUSTRALIAN OPEN after qualifying in Georgia and a ticket to be paid by USTA.
I was NOT talking about playing the JUNIOR AO.
Now she will play two challengers in January.
Please see as well the quote from the link
--->
As AO junior champion she was offered a Wild Card to the slam senior qualifying. However, we learn from her Twitter conversation with Irina Khromatcheva, "I'm not going to go just for qualies.. It's too far and too expensive!" she posted at the end of November (whole conversation). It clearly indicates she won't be able to play, because she can count only on her own financial resources, and these are limited. Unlike junior world leaders from any other country in the world, the American tennis current biggest hope appears to be on her own. Townsend was not even invited for the USTA AO Wildcard play-off. Another communication problem?
---->Latest results

Dec 03
Dec 09
Orange Bowl Int'l Tennis Championships - Orange Bowl International Tennis Championship
Plantation, FL(USA) - Girls 18 GA - Clay
1/32
W
vs
Ivana Jorovic(SRB)
76(1) 76(6)
1/16
W
vs
Indy De Vroome(NED)
76(6) 64
1/8
W
vs
Katy Dunne(GBR)
64 64
QF
W
vs
Carol Zhao(CAN)
75 57 76(2)
SF
L
vs
Ana Konjuh(CRO)
46 61 63
Nov 26
Dec 02
Eddie Herr International Junior Tennis Championships - IMG/Bollettieri Sports Academy
Bradenton, FL(USA) - Girls 18 G1 - Clay
1/32
W
vs
Dominika Paterova(CZE)
60 64
1/16
W
vs
Varvara Flink(RUS)
63 62
1/8
L
vs
Barbara Haas(AUT)
76(6) 75
Nov 05
Nov 11
$75,000 Phoenix, AZ - Goldwater Women's Tennis Classic
Phoenix, AZ (USA) - USD 75,000 - Hard - $75,000
1/16
W
vs
Michaela Honcova(SVK)
60 64
1/8
W
vs
Shelby Rogers(USA)
75 64
QF
L
vs
Sharon Fichman(CAN)
64 36 64
Oct 29
Nov 04
$50,000 New Braunfels, TX
New Braunfels(USA) - USD 50,000 - Hard - $50,000
1/16
W
vs
Nicole Melichar(USA)
76(3) 57 75
1/8
L
vs
Mariana Duque-Marino(COL)
62 63

Soianka 12-24-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7076734)
The original idea was to play the SENIOR AUSTRALIAN OPEN after qualifying in Georgia and a ticket to be paid by USTA.
I was NOT talking about playing the JUNIOR AO.
Now she will play two challengers in January.
Please see as well the quote from the link
--->
As AO junior champion she was offered a Wild Card to the slam senior qualifying. However, we learn from her Twitter conversation with Irina Khromatcheva, "I'm not going to go just for qualies.. It's too far and too expensive!" she posted at the end of November (whole conversation). It clearly indicates she won't be able to play, because she can count only on her own financial resources, and these are limited. Unlike junior world leaders from any other country in the world, the American tennis current biggest hope appears to be on her own. Townsend was not even invited for the USTA AO Wildcard play-off. Another communication problem?
---->Latest results

Dec 03
Dec 09
Orange Bowl Int'l Tennis Championships - Orange Bowl International Tennis Championship
Plantation, FL(USA) - Girls 18 GA - Clay
1/32
W
vs
Ivana Jorovic(SRB)
76(1) 76(6)
1/16
W
vs
Indy De Vroome(NED)
76(6) 64
1/8
W
vs
Katy Dunne(GBR)
64 64
QF
W
vs
Carol Zhao(CAN)
75 57 76(2)
SF
L
vs
Ana Konjuh(CRO)
46 61 63
Nov 26
Dec 02
Eddie Herr International Junior Tennis Championships - IMG/Bollettieri Sports Academy
Bradenton, FL(USA) - Girls 18 G1 - Clay
1/32
W
vs
Dominika Paterova(CZE)
60 64
1/16
W
vs
Varvara Flink(RUS)
63 62
1/8
L
vs
Barbara Haas(AUT)
76(6) 75
Nov 05
Nov 11
$75,000 Phoenix, AZ - Goldwater Women's Tennis Classic
Phoenix, AZ (USA) - USD 75,000 - Hard - $75,000
1/16
W
vs
Michaela Honcova(SVK)
60 64
1/8
W
vs
Shelby Rogers(USA)
75 64
QF
L
vs
Sharon Fichman(CAN)
64 36 64
Oct 29
Nov 04
$50,000 New Braunfels, TX
New Braunfels(USA) - USD 50,000 - Hard - $50,000
1/16
W
vs
Nicole Melichar(USA)
76(3) 57 75
1/8
L
vs
Mariana Duque-Marino(COL)
62 63

Well it is strange that Taylor was not at the AO playoff in Atlanta. They had been advertising it with Taylor's picture on the posters/website for months.

AndrewD 12-24-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball2day (Post 7076701)
A lot of great players don't go to AO. The junior AO is always a notch below the other ones, and just filled with the players that can afford the tickets. It's too far and exhausting.

Given that that the junior AO is the only one of the four majors she's won, that's hardly a compliment.

Chemist 12-24-2012 09:39 AM

"Also competing in the women’s field are former top-ranked Georgia Tech singles star Irina Falconi (22, Jupiter, Fla.), the one-time world No. 73 and Pan American Games gold medalist who reached the third round of the 2011 US Open; Mallory Burdette (21, Jackson, Ga.), the former Stanford standout who reached the third round of the 2012 US Open after winning a USTA Wild Card; Madison Keys (17, Rock Island, Ill.), last year’s Australian Open Wild Card Playoff winner who is the second-youngest player ranked in the WTA top 140 after winning a $75,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Phoenix this November; Maria Sanchez (23, Modesto, Calif.), once the top-ranked college singles player at Southern California who won a $50,000 and a $75,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in 2012 to boost her ranking more than 560 places since 2011; Alexa Glatch (21, Newport Beach, Calif.), who was the runner-up to current World No. 1 Victoria Azarenka in the 2005 US Open junior championship; Julia Cohen (23, Philadelphia), who broke through to the WTA top 100 in (No. 97) in July; and Alison Riske (22, Pittsburgh), who has played in the main draw of the Australian Open (2011-12) and Wimbledon (2010-11) twice."
http://www.usta.com/Pro-Tennis/sock_...layoffs_field/

USTA Player Development must have thought that the eight ladies invited to the playoff tournament are better than Taylor at this moment. But I am quite sure that Taylor would have a better chance of becoming a top 50 players in the world in a few years than several players who were invited to the playoff. Perhaps it's a good idea for USTA to spend a few thousands to allow and encourage Taylor to play the Australian Open qualification.

chalkflewup 12-25-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 7077278)
Well it is strange that Taylor was not at the AO playoff in Atlanta. They had been advertising it with Taylor's picture on the posters/website for months.

IMHO, the best teenager in Boca won the AO qualies in Atlanta (Madison Keys). While she may not get the publicity, Keys is more comparable to Serena. Heck she beat Serena when she was 14.

Rob_C 12-25-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7077542)
"Also competing in the women’s field are former top-ranked Georgia Tech singles star Irina Falconi (22, Jupiter, Fla.), the one-time world No. 73 and Pan American Games gold medalist who reached the third round of the 2011 US Open; Mallory Burdette (21, Jackson, Ga.), the former Stanford standout who reached the third round of the 2012 US Open after winning a USTA Wild Card; Madison Keys (17, Rock Island, Ill.), last year’s Australian Open Wild Card Playoff winner who is the second-youngest player ranked in the WTA top 140 after winning a $75,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Phoenix this November; Maria Sanchez (23, Modesto, Calif.), once the top-ranked college singles player at Southern California who won a $50,000 and a $75,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in 2012 to boost her ranking more than 560 places since 2011; Alexa Glatch (21, Newport Beach, Calif.), who was the runner-up to current World No. 1 Victoria Azarenka in the 2005 US Open junior championship; Julia Cohen (23, Philadelphia), who broke through to the WTA top 100 in (No. 97) in July; and Alison Riske (22, Pittsburgh), who has played in the main draw of the Australian Open (2011-12) and Wimbledon (2010-11) twice."
http://www.usta.com/Pro-Tennis/sock_...layoffs_field/

USTA Player Development must have thought that the eight ladies invited to the playoff tournament are better than Taylor at this moment. But I am quite sure that Taylor would have a better chance of becoming a top 50 players in the world in a few years than several players who were invited to the playoff. Perhaps it's a good idea for USTA to spend a few thousands to allow and encourage Taylor to play the Australian Open qualification.

I'm not 100% sure right now, but I think Taylor was initially invited, but maybe pulled out.

Steve Johnson and Jack Sock were on the original list for the guys, both both pulled out and were replaced.

I think Sanchez and Falconi were the two replacements on the girls' side, or the last two choices.

Edit: Ok, seems I was wrong. Doesnt look like Taylor was invited at all.

TCF 12-25-2012 08:35 AM

=========================

andfor 12-25-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7078621)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/sp...nted=all&_r=1&

Just read this story on Taylor. I am blown away by the part where the author says an "elderly man was heckling her about her race and baby fat". I would love to have seen someone go up and bust him right in the nose!

I really want hear if someone at least confronted the old man and had him removed. There's obviously no part for that needed, anywhere.

NLBwell 12-25-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7077542)
But I am quite sure that Taylor would have a better chance of becoming a top 50 players in the world in a few years than several players who were invited to the playoff.

I would hope that Taylor Townsend is aiming for top 1 in the world, not top 50. To do that she has to get into fantastic shape. Though nothing is for sure, I think she could certainly be top 50 without improving a lot.

floridatennisdude 12-25-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7076651)
TOWNSEND DID NOT go to Georgia to the best of my understanding
No Australian Open 2013-no wild card
There is a chance that her career is over
See as well
http://www.tennisalternative.com/ten...en-rn1890.html

That's a painful read. It's very difficult to follow your writing. You should have someone proof and edit for you if you're going to cover tennis in English speaking countries.

But, how can you say "there is a chance her career is over"? She hasn't even played her first pro event. Is this statement purely based on skipping the Aussie? Heck, McEnroe skipped the Aussie a ton. You have a Phd?

arche3 12-25-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Just read this story on Taylor. I am blown away by the part where the author says an "elderly man was heckling her about her race and baby fat". I would love to have seen someone go up and bust him right in the nose!

Pat mac in a fake beard?

t135 12-25-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Yeah that ****ed me off too. Dude should have been removed if this story is legit. Anybody heckling teenagers like that is a POS.

Chemist 12-25-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7078690)
I would hope that Taylor Townsend is aiming for top 1 in the world, not top 50. To do that she has to get into fantastic shape. Though nothing is for sure, I think she could certainly be top 50 without improving a lot.

Ana Konjuh, who will turn 15 in a day or two, mentioned after beating Taylor in 3 sets in the Orange Bowl semi that she noticed Taylor was tired in the 3rd set. Madison Keys is another young American who has been mentioned as the next Williams. Yes aiming #1 would surely motivate Taylor to train harder on and off the courts.

julian 12-26-2012 07:19 AM

Just to have a comparison

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7079548)
Ana Konjuh, who will turn 15 in a day or two, mentioned after beating Taylor in 3 sets in the Orange Bowl semi that she noticed Taylor was tired in the 3rd set. Madison Keys is another young American who has been mentioned as the next Williams. Yes aiming #1 would surely motivate Taylor to train harder on and off the courts.

Please click and see the quality of serve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXBS_...X_jk5g&index=8
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHouqd6ztko
For comparison Taylor Townsend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FamG..._jk5g&index=52

OneTennisParent 12-26-2012 07:42 AM

Re Ana Konjuh; I have no empirical evidence but seriously doubt she is 14. I saw her play the Eddie Herr G14 doubles final in 2011 when she would have been 13. She served at 110, hit 80mph groundies and had quads bigger than mine. She stands 5' 10" has an unusually deep voice and I personally herd her tell the tournament director that she was thrilled to finally win, as this was her 6th time playing the Eddie Herr. Hmmmm... that would mean she was playing the 12s when she was 7? Not likely. More believable is that the Serbian Federation gave her a new passport with a brand new birth year. International competition is filled with players who falsify their age. At this year's Eddie Herr my daughter heard two boys in the registration line complaining about a player they know is 18, playing the 16s. Interestingly, one of the boys asked his friend why he's complaining when he does the same thing. His answer was that "everybody's doing it, so why not?" I know it's impossible to police foreign players, but there should be some system that compares past registrations against current, to see if anyone suddenly got younger. TDs are so confrontation averse they prefer to look the other way, and collect the fee.

julian 12-26-2012 07:45 AM

She is Croatian,NOT Serbian

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneTennisParent (Post 7079862)
Re Ana Konjuh; I have no empirical evidence but seriously doubt she is 14. I saw her play the Eddie Herr G14 doubles final in 2011 when she would have been 13. She served at 110, hit 80mph groundies and had quads bigger than mine. She stands 5' 10" has an unusually deep voice and I personally herd her tell the tournament director that she was thrilled to finally win, as this was her 6th time playing the Eddie Herr. Hmmmm... that would mean she was playing the 12s when she was 7? Not likely. More believable is that the Serbian Federation gave her a new passport with a brand new birth year. International competition is filled with players who falsify their age. At this year's Eddie Herr my daughter heard two boys in the registration line complaining about a player they know is 18, playing the 16s. Interestingly, one of the boys asked his friend why he's complaining when he does the same thing. His answer was that "everybody's doing it, so why not?" I know it's impossible to police foreign players, but there should be some system that compares past registrations against current, to see if anyone suddenly got younger. TDs are so confrontation averse they prefer to look the other way, and collect the fee.

Just for the record
She is Croatian,NOT Serbian