Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Physicists say universe could be on giant computer simulation (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449005)

TheFifthSet 12-25-2012 04:41 AM

Physicists say universe could be on giant computer simulation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2339109.html

Boy, this has some weird implications.

Meant to say *one giant computer simulation

Legend of Borg 12-25-2012 04:51 AM

I knew this weak era couldn't be real.

Only a computer simulation would allow for Olderer to win 17 slams.

trololol

J011yroger 12-25-2012 04:52 AM

Been a theory for quite some time, that the universe is a giant hologram.

J

Mick 12-25-2012 05:06 AM

This reminds me of the line "Do you think that is air you're breathing?" from the Matrix :)

ollinger 12-25-2012 05:08 AM

I knew It!!!! TheFIfthSet is "the One"!!!!!!

adventure 12-25-2012 07:55 AM

"It's still real to me dammit!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvd3aEsThbc

El Diablo 12-25-2012 07:57 AM

Meant to say "one giant computer stimulation."

Bhagi Katbamna 12-25-2012 08:29 AM

There is a very interesting incident described in Indian philosophy. A king(his name was Janak) dreamt that he was a begger. He asked the philosophers of his country what the truth was but was unable to get a satisfactory answer. Then one ascetic(his name was Ashtavakra) told him that both were not real. Only that one unreality was shorter than the other. He was not the body but the immortal soul.

Nostradamus 12-25-2012 11:11 AM

Can he re-program the simulation so that I can be married to Naomi Watts ?

Hood_Man 12-25-2012 11:29 AM

Slayer_of_Kings 12-25-2012 12:54 PM

And now for the programmer:

TheFifthSet 12-26-2012 01:40 AM

dont know about you guys but i find the theory pretty disturbing LOL but interesting nonetheless.

3fees 12-26-2012 06:03 AM

There is also debate on the shape of the universe
1. Like a balloon
2. Its flat
3 Its sort of saddle-shaped

max 12-27-2012 10:37 AM

I've been reading Bob Spitzer's book in this area.

Now YOU tell me. . . WHAT started it? . . . and then WHAT started that?

Blitzball 12-28-2012 05:54 PM

That's a pretty damn big computer simulation considering the size of the universe. But if it is a computer simulation, who's in charge of the simulation-- who, or what, is control of the computer?

Man that sounded cheesy.

MikeHitsHard93 12-28-2012 07:22 PM

It's not likely that the universe is something developed by the imagination of the human mind. I'm pretty sure it's something we could only hope to dream of and I don't think we will ever understand the universe. There could be multiple universes and there could be things beyond our imagination after that. We aren't smart enough. Our brain cells don't multiply fast enough!

max 12-28-2012 07:29 PM

It's questionable whether our minds have sufficient ability to grasp all the categories of being involved here. But it's good to try!

Interesting how important math is in all this.

defrule 12-29-2012 08:47 AM

I think there are theories that question whether the physical laws of our world is universal or just specific to us only.

If another universe was to be born, would physical laws be similar to ours or is it conceivable they could have completely different physics?

It's mind boggling, it could be our universe is the way it is because of certain input parameters.

Sentinel 12-30-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhagi Katbamna (Post 7078611)
There is a very interesting incident described in Indian philosophy. A king(his name was Janak) dreamt that he was a begger. He asked the philosophers of his country what the truth was but was unable to get a satisfactory answer. Then one ascetic(his name was Ashtavakra) told him that both were not real. Only that one unreality was shorter than the other. He was not the body but the immortal soul.

I have read a lot about the life of Janak and Ashtavakra. In fact, one of my fave books is the Ashtavakra Gita (which is available online, its a short set of verses).

At a later stage Janak did give up his kingdom and wander for many years. Then he was made king of another country. Finally, he came back and became king of his country again. My memory of the story is not clear but he did wander and become king again.

The most famous story is of Ashtavakra entering the King's court, all his spiritual advisors and gurus had failed to answer the kings question about attaining enlightenment. Ashtavakra enters and everyone laughs at him since he is deformed ("bent in eight places" is what his name means). He calls all these learned men "leather workers" (a derogatory term). When asked to explain he answers that they assess him by his exterior only.

The king is a mature soul and can see Ashtavakra's attainment. He becomes A's disciple and attains enlightenment after which he leaves his kingdom and wanders for many years.

The story has many variations. In some Ashta comes to Janak for enlightenment. But either way, the AG is a beautiful book written in simple Sanskrit and is dated to the early Vedic age based on the style of Sanskrit.

This issue of the reality of the world is discussed here (and of course in most of our ancient texts).

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Ashtavakra_Gita

In the AG, Ashta gives Janak some teachings. It seems Janaka experiences Satori and talks like an enlightened person in Ch2. Ashta realizes that Janak is only having an experience and continues guiding him. At the end, Janaka is liberated.

Peters 12-30-2012 06:20 AM

I don't think this is anything new.

Physicists and scientists have often raised the concept of simulation. Eventually, the human race will simply crack AI and sensory replacement and therefore be able to create a universe inside a computer with billions of entities functioning with what they perceive to be their own consciousness (living their 'lives' effectively no different to how we currently live ours).

Ergo; it could be just as likely our own universe is such a thing as opposed to it being real. Some may even say it's more likely...