Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Santa Brought Me... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449026)

RedWeb 12-25-2012 10:45 AM

Santa Brought Me...

In the spirit of this Christmas and New Year's season I thought I'd start a new thread for people to mention what Santa brought them for Christmas and what they are thankful for (keep it tennis related if you please)...

Santa brought me some Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 String and a pair of Prince T24 shoes... I'm thankful that my knees are holding up after surgery 18 months ago and I found an over-55 team to play on for the new year.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-25-2012 11:49 AM

For some reason my family thought I needed three cans of pink tennis balls

tennis tom 12-25-2012 12:48 PM

I bought myself the new Ascis Solutions (I can never spell acis right--only been wearing their running shoes since the 70's--G-d I'm old) because they look like the color of my car and and are light and fast. And I bought them from TW. So far I got a tennis ball key-chain but the big haul is coming tonight. I hope I get a case of the cheap Costco Penns so I can open two cans at a time when I play with the cheap-skates--can't use 'em up fast enough.

db10s 12-25-2012 05:01 PM

There is already a thread for this... And its in the correct section (Odds & Ends).

TommieF 12-25-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7078852)
For some reason my family thought I needed three cans of pink tennis balls

Ya, I love when I get the gift of tennis balls that no way I will use them in a regular hit or match. Once I got the bag of tennis balls that just have Penn written on them. I can't even give those away to the club for tennis drills those balls are so bad.

RedWeb 12-26-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7079184)
There is already a thread for this... And its in the correct section (Odds & Ends).

Sorry did not think to look there.
I think this is the thread referred too.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448578

blakesq 12-26-2012 06:02 AM

My wife got me two private lessons at the club. However, i have a torn meniscus in my knee...so, am thinking I won't use the lessons till after the surgery! :(

tennis tom 12-26-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWeb (Post 7079705)
Sorry did not think to look there.
I think this is the thread referred too.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448578

That's kool RedWeb, I'd never seen it if you stuck it elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned you can leave it here, I rarely have time to look at the other forum's.

Cindysphinx 12-26-2012 07:27 AM

A few months back, my husband and I discussed my buying two new rackets. We didn't want to spend the money, but my rackets are from 2006. We decided I would get the new rackets. After all, if you spend $400 on rackets and keep them five years, that's only $80 a year -- a steal, right?

I shopped around and got them in October. They are *sweet!*

This month, one of my teammates called and said she was thinking of replacing her Babolats. She wanted to know what kind I thought was best. I told her I had just bought two new PDs and was very happy with them.

The next thing I know, my husband is calling to tell me that he had planned to get the new rackets for me for Christmas. He had asked my teammate to gather info on what kind of racket he should buy, and that is how he had learned I had already bought them.

Get this, though. He's actually mad about this. I told him we could consider them to be my present so he doesn't have to go find something else. He thought I should have waited because Christmas was coming. Just last week, he brought it up again and he is still steamed.

What the heck? Honestly, I do not require that my husband kill himself to find the perfect gifts for me. I'm not a four-year-old who will be devastated if my Christmas haul is skimpy.

OK, husbands. What say you? Did I do something wrong?

jswinf 12-26-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7079842)

When you put it like that, what can we say but "No, dear, everything's fine. Just fine. Here's a vegetable chopper, Merry Christmas."

I had a nice Christmas mostly dominated by a first grandchild. For some reason my brother gave me a whisk broom.

Cindysphinx 12-26-2012 08:13 AM

You men are so sensitive.

maggmaster 12-26-2012 08:27 AM

I have a system for Christmas, I go to the higher end local mall, all the boutique owners know me, I ask them what my wife was looking at last time she was in and then I buy it. Takes me an hour, and she is always happy.

mikeler 12-26-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggmaster (Post 7079918)
I have a system for Christmas, I go to the higher end local mall, all the boutique owners know me, I ask them what my wife was looking at last time she was in and then I buy it. Takes me an hour, and she is always happy.

Sounds kind of like my system. I actually walked around the mall with my wife so she could give me ideas. A good gift without a surprise is much better than a bad surprise upon opening a gift.

goober 12-26-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Personally it wouldn't bother me a bit, but I am not your husband so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.:)

Christmas in our household revolves around the kids and other family members kids. We don't get worked up about who gives what to the adults.

Cindysphinx 12-26-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7080036)
Personally it wouldn't bother me a bit, but I am not your husband so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.:)

Christmas in our household revolves around the kids and other family members kids. We don't get worked up about who gives what to the adults.

Totally.

Sadly, I married into a family of gift givers. In that family, you'd better give a gift whether you can afford one or not.

I, on the other hand, don't like scheduled gift giving. If and when I see something a loved one might like, I buy it and give it. I don't like doing it because a certain day is approaching (Valentine's day, Christmas, Birthdays). When you get a gift from me, you will know it really was because I was thinking of you and the gift will mean something to both of us.

And I especially don't like expensive gifts purchased by my husband out of a sense of obligation that drain our community property bank account.

Cindy -- who received motorized herb storage container last year, who gave it to the Salvation Army, and who had to make up a lie about its whereabouts when the giver inquired about it this year

Mongolmike 12-26-2012 10:01 AM

Amongst the gifts we got, I got my wife $100 card for local club for clothes or lessons, she got me $50 gift card to TW.

I've made Xmas shopping very easy for my wife... I told her gift cards to any combo of the following works PERFECT for me... TW, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting, local club. Surprise me. It's ALWAYS a perfect gift. (She doesn't quite like it, cause she wants it to be more tangible and a surprise... I like it cause I can get EXACTLY what I want. My thinking is I'd rather recieve a gift that I like and can use, then getting another golf sweater in a color I would've never picked out and probably won't wear.)

Maui19 12-26-2012 10:12 AM

The rule is that you don't buy things for yourself within a month of Christmas.

JRstriker12 12-26-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 7080102)
The rule is that you don't buy things for yourself within a month of Christmas.

Really? Because that's the only way I ever get anything tennis related for Christmas...

NLBwell 12-26-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

What the heck? Honestly, I do not require that my husband kill himself to find the perfect gifts for me. I'm not a four-year-old who will be devastated if my Christmas haul is skimpy.

Sounds good to me. My first wife would end up crying every Christmas evening because something wasn't good enough. Our anniversary, her birthday, and Mother's day all came within about a two week period. I knew I would be punished and my life would be hell for a while no matter how hard I tried to get all the perfect gifts and make each day as good as possible.

Women......

Cindysphinx 12-26-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7080205)
Sounds good to me. My first wife would end up crying every Christmas evening because something wasn't good enough. Our anniversary, her birthday, and Mother's day all came within about a two week period. I knew I would be punished and my life would be hell for a while no matter how hard I tried to get all the perfect gifts and make each day as good as possible.

Women......

I'm curious. Were there any signs before you wed that she was, erm, difficult and needy in this area? Or did she decide that gift-giving was the be-all-end-all after you wed?

See, I'm thinking people who are dating need to test the waters before they get married. If you think she's The One, you need to deliberately get her a crappy gift for her birthday or Valentine's day. See if she handles it with grace or whether she pouts or whether she goes all quiet. If she flips out . . . you're facing 50 years of scouring the local mall for a gift that won't touch off a tantrum.

You need to look for women like me, who don't give a flying fig about gifts and cards and birthdays. Sadly, LeeD has already laid claim to me . . . .