Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Which lower priced shoes offer the best value? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449069)

Raul_SJ 12-26-2012 06:20 AM

Which lower priced shoes offer the best value?

I have owned the Barricade 7 and Prince 22.

Very good shoes, but they are rather expensive -- well over $100.

Which lower priced shoes offer the best value?

volusiano 12-26-2012 10:03 AM

I think the half-price Babolat V-Pro All Court at $45 currently offered by Tennis Warehouse is a good value, especially with a 6-month outsole warranty.

DeShaun 12-26-2012 07:50 PM

The babs mentioned in post #2 are very comfortable, to the point that they felt like house slippers to me. One caution however, I damaged a toe ligament badly, which took 6 months to heal, by planting and cutting hard in these shoes; they didnt provide me enough stiffness but instead they twisted and contorted like soft rubber around my foot, leaving me vulnerable and enabling me to suffer a moderately serious injury which I doubt would have happened if I had been wearing a pair of barricades for instance or some other stiffly built shoe. Great comfort through extra internal padding is one thing, but comfort due to the malleability of the out sole and/or upper may not always be desirable. You want something that's going to keep your foot in place, but these babs failed to do that for me.

ec51 12-27-2012 05:08 AM

Barricade 7s for $80.

IA-SteveB 12-27-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volusiano (Post 7080087)
I think the half-price Babolat V-Pro All Court at $45 currently offered by Tennis Warehouse is a good value, especially with a 6-month outsole warranty.

I agree. I have been using them since May and the sole still looks barely used. I play two to three times a week. Good comfort and true to size.

JRstriker12 12-27-2012 08:23 AM

If you're talking the Prince T-22, I'm seeing these for less than $100.

westpac690 12-27-2012 03:13 PM

The K-Swiss Ultrascendor II. I've been playing in the them since the summer. They've performed as well as any of the more expensive shoes I've worn. Asics, Nike, Addidas, even the original Ultrascendor. It's also one of the few shoes I've tried that truly are court ready out of the box.
I don't drag my feet around the court like Nadal either, so I don't need much of the these durability technologies on the more expensive shoes.

West Coast Ace 12-28-2012 10:11 AM

One vote for the Nike City Courts - they're usually around $55. Plain looking, but light and good durability. I usually keep a pair around to work into the weekly rotation with my more expensive Nikes.

goran_ace 12-28-2012 10:39 AM

There are some really good buys in the clearance section. I picked up the Head Prestige Pros. Compared to barricades they feel just as stable, but little higher up (heels feel thicker). Fits my foot much better though and has lace locks like a running shoe.

3fees 12-28-2012 01:25 PM

With 2013 coming in soon a lot of 2012 models will go on sale, one example is Yonex sht 308, I'm waiting for the price to drop.

WildVolley 12-28-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volusiano (Post 7080087)

I'm intrigued. How's the toe box width on this shoe?

volusiano 12-28-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 7084387)
I'm intrigued. How's the toe box width on this shoe?

I normally wear 9.5 but when I tried a 9.5 of this model on at a store, it felt a little tight for me at the toe box, but the 10 felt better. So I ordered the 10 online. But the 10 feels a tiny bit loose after I started using it, but not too much to be any problem. I'd rather have some extra room than being tight at the toe box, so I don't regret going with the 10 anyway.

WildVolley 12-29-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volusiano (Post 7084651)
I normally wear 9.5 but when I tried a 9.5 of this model on at a store, it felt a little tight for me at the toe box, but the 10 felt better. So I ordered the 10 online. But the 10 feels a tiny bit loose after I started using it, but not too much to be any problem. I'd rather have some extra room than being tight at the toe box, so I don't regret going with the 10 anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of the toe box width being insufficient for my feet from looking at pictures of the shoes. I'll probably stick with the Yonex as my match shoes and continue my search for a wide toe box practice shoe with a durability warranty.

loosegroove 12-29-2012 01:00 PM

If they have any in your size left, the Prince T-10 is an awesome shoe. They're only $59 right now. Though if you have wide feet, they wouldn't be a good fit for you.

jason586 12-30-2012 02:14 PM

I just got some New Balance 851's for FREE at amazxx last night - can't get a much better value than that.
I normally wear a Men's 8 US (Eur 41), so I picked up the Women's 9.5 (Eur 41) in a "D" width for $29.23 + Free shipping. I applied and was instantly accepted for their credit card which gave me a $30.00 instant gift balance; then I used the gift balance for my payment and have 77 cents left.
Even though it was labeled as the women's shoe, I wanted the black/blue color combo versus the men's black/yellow as I wear a lot of blue. The difference is the width of the women's standard is a "B" width, and the width of the men's standard is a "D" width. Fortunately, the women's version has "D" width available as an option.
There are only a few left at this $29.23 price in Women's 9.5 D (Men's 8 ), Women's 11 D (Men's 9.5), & Women's 12 D (Men's 10.5). If you have an overly wide foot, these probably would not work.

zapvor 12-31-2012 03:53 PM

the head shoes are very good value. try them