Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tier One Firewire (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449111)

Stringers 12-26-2012 06:33 PM

Tier One Firewire

Anyone tried it? Tier One was gracious enough to send me a set of 17G a couple weeks ago and strung it up tonight. Can't say I've ever strung or played with a triangle shaped string. Stuff feels like weed eater line, super sharp edges! Should provide some good spin. Bright red in color, looks pretty cool with my Angell frame and red grommets/grip.

Strung up at 52/48. Very similar to Cyclone tour, IMO. Nice soft feel, the color's nearly identical. Looks like a Twizzler haha. We'll see how it plays!

EastAngels2014 12-26-2012 07:55 PM

i have a set of this also was wondering what it was like aswell

cluckcluck 12-27-2012 09:12 AM

It's pretty sweet. It pockets nicely and gives a comfy spin. It's not crazy spin but it's abundant so it's effortless.

For a poly, it's pretty comfortable, not very stiff but not mushy. It's low powered for sure. I found control was 6/10 which isn't bad but I struggled finding my range.

I quite enjoyed it, overall 7.5/10

Stringers 12-27-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7081454)
It's pretty sweet. It pockets nicely and gives a comfy spin. It's not crazy spin but it's abundant so it's effortless.

For a poly, it's pretty comfortable, not very stiff but not mushy. It's low powered for sure. I found control was 6/10 which isn't bad but I struggled finding my range.

I quite enjoyed it, overall 7.5/10

Sweet. I figured the spin would be pretty good with the sharp edges. I can tell it's going to be pretty soft, even right off the stringer last night. I don't normally play full poly, so I'm excited to see how it does tomorrow night!

cluckcluck 12-27-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringers (Post 7081668)
Sweet. I figured the spin would be pretty good with the sharp edges. I can tell it's going to be pretty soft, even right off the stringer last night. I don't normally play full poly, so I'm excited to see how it does tomorrow night!

For sure let us know how it goes! How did that Clarke string work out by the way?

nycoara 12-27-2012 12:16 PM

I tested last two month.
Very soft poly, good spin but low power,,
Good enough tension maintain.

My best Tier one string set, more than Tour status.

Stringers 12-27-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7081689)
For sure let us know how it goes! How did that Clarke string work out by the way?

Still haven't tried it out haha. That's up soon.

Stringers 12-28-2012 06:15 PM

Well, just logged 2 hours with the string with various light and hard hitting. No match play. Feel like I hit the ball really well tonight.

I have to say I really really, enjoyed hitting with this string. Cluckcluck and nycoara were pretty spot on.

For me, a lot of how I rate my strings is the feel on impact. I generate plenty of spin on my own, so I don't put too much stock when comparing strings. But Firewire definitely did what it was supposed to do as far as spin goes. Spin was effortless, didn't have to work for it. I was very impressed with several shots I really went for and generated some extra RPM's, I could really see the ball dip and take a huge kick. Like I said, I don't put a ton of stock in spin potential, but Firewire def didn't disappoint.

I've mentioned before that I normally play Poly mains with Multi crosses, just because I haven't found a full poly set that I've been crazy about and like the softer feel multi crosses provide. But this was the first full poly setup I really, really liked. I was worried about it feeling mushy when I strung it, but that wasn't the case at all. Like cluckcluck said, sweet ball pocketing, very comfortable plush feel. With a good swing the string feels awesome.

That's all I'll comment on for now. Liking this string a lot right now, we'll see after a few more hitting sessions how the tension holds. I'll probly play them till they pop, so we'll see how many hours I get out of the 17G.

cluckcluck 12-28-2012 10:06 PM

Great to hear! I'm glad you liked it. I'm sure you can agree with me that this could be a contender for a "must try" poly. The next time you hit with it, I think you'll like it much better :)

Stringers 12-29-2012 06:34 PM

Definitely! Like I said, I'm not much of a full poly player but I could see myself coming back to this set soon!

Stringers 12-31-2012 09:30 PM

Logged another couple hours on the set with various hitting and a set of doubles tonight. Contrary, I've had no problem finding good pop from the string. I did string it low, and I'll check the tension tomorrow but still has a good lively feel, with good spin and control. Definitely softer than Friday.

We'll see how the spin changes the next couple hitting sessions as the edges wear.

FireWire- 4 Hours.

TierOneSportsOfficial 01-15-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringers (Post 7089859)
Logged another couple hours on the set with various hitting and a set of doubles tonight. Contrary, I've had no problem finding good pop from the string. I did string it low, and I'll check the tension tomorrow but still has a good lively feel, with good spin and control. Definitely softer than Friday.

We'll see how the spin changes the next couple hitting sessions as the edges wear.

FireWire- 4 Hours.

Thanks for making the effort of reporting about our T1 Firewire co-poly. We would be interested if you could draw a comparison to any other co-poly string currently on the market. We hear a lot that our Tour Status co-poly plays similar to RPM and Blackcode but it appears that people are having a difficult time comparing Firewire to another string.

COPEY 01-16-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tieronesports (Post 7124402)
...but it appears that people are having a difficult time comparing Firewire to another string.

Personally, I don't see that as a bad thing; distinction is good, especially amongst the hordes of poly strings out there.

Stringers 01-16-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tieronesports (Post 7124402)
Thanks for making the effort of reporting about our T1 Firewire co-poly. We would be interested if you could draw a comparison to any other co-poly string currently on the market. We hear a lot that our Tour Status co-poly plays similar to RPM and Blackcode but it appears that people are having a difficult time comparing Firewire to another string.

No problem. A big thanks to T1 for the samples as well. Honestly, I mentioned it, but it just felt like a much better Cyclone Tour. Like this is how CT was supposed to feel haha. But T1FW out performed the Volkl in pretty much every category. It's hard to make a comparison, there's not many strings quite like it.

Hopefully I'll be going back to FW in my next set, but I'll be trying 18G. Can't wait!

Grandslammer7 04-24-2014 12:11 AM

Sorry to dig this up but can anyone compare this string to RPM Blast?