Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What would the right way be to mention an injury, especially after a loss (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449156)

kragster 12-27-2012 09:18 AM

What would the right way be to mention an injury, especially after a loss

We criticize all the top guys for any mention of injuries after their losses. Some of these injuries are probably more serious and some are more a case of exaggeration. On the one hand, we can't take the player's words as the complete truth but on the other hand it seems wrong to bash every player every single time because undoubtedly at least some of these injuries are legit.

So I pose the question - let's say a player is really injured. How would you want them to bring it up (if at all), in the wake of a loss.

a) No mention of the injury at all, completely dismiss any connection between injury and loss. Dont talk about it even if brought up.
b) No mention unless news reporters specifically ask about injury and then you can mention that it may have affected your serve/movement/fitness etc
c) Bring up injury freely even without being asked if players genuinely feels that it significantly affected their performance

Also what would the right time be for a player to mention an injury? Before a match looks like excuse making, after the match looks like a sore loser.

dyldore 12-27-2012 09:53 AM

A/B mix. I wouldn't bring it up unless asked, and if I did bring it up I would not take credit away from the other player, ex. my arm hurt, but X played great tennis today...or something like that.

underground 12-27-2012 09:57 AM

Say you've got injury but dismiss it quickly after that, or just give lots of credit to your opponent and don't see how you're affected etc.

Murrayfan31 12-27-2012 09:57 AM

You never say anything and take the loss like a man.

Hood_Man 12-27-2012 10:06 AM

Whenever. They'll get criticised for it based on how much the person dislikes them.

TMF 12-27-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kragster (Post 7081541)
We criticize all the top guys for any mention of injuries after their losses. Some of these injuries are probably more serious and some are more a case of exaggeration. On the one hand, we can't take the player's words as the complete truth but on the other hand it seems wrong to bash every player every single time because undoubtedly at least some of these injuries are legit.

So I pose the question - let's say a player is really injured. How would you want them to bring it up (if at all), in the wake of a loss.

a) No mention of the injury at all, completely dismiss any connection between injury and loss. Dont talk about it even if brought up.
b) No mention unless news reporters specifically ask about injury and then you can mention that it may have affected your serve/movement/fitness etc
c) Bring up injury freely even without being asked if players genuinely feels that it significantly affected their performance

Also what would the right time be for a player to mention an injury? Before a match looks like excuse making, after the match looks like a sore loser.

you want to label everyone on the same page with Nadal. Sorry, nadal is in a complete level when it comes to excuses after a loss, that's including MTO. He's the only player that fans/commentors(eg PMac) suspected his injuries. The difference is night and day.

ollinger 12-27-2012 11:31 AM

Murrayfan31 illustrates why women have considerably longer lifespans on average than men -- because they don't have idiotic macho pride about their symptoms and are more likely to seek medical help for them. This pose of not mentioning injury after a match is an extension of that same silliness, that to be honest about your physical condition is either unmanly or unsporting, maybe both. It's foolishness. Answering a question honestly about your physical condition after a match is not demeaning to your opponent.

Phoenix1983 12-27-2012 11:35 AM

Probably A or B.

veroniquem 12-27-2012 11:41 AM

Personally, I'd rather C, although most players are reluctant to do it because then, they get targeted for " excuse making". Ideally, the best thing would be: honesty above all and screw what other people think.

gregor.b 12-27-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7081708)
Murrayfan31 illustrates why women have considerably longer lifespans on average than men -- because they don't have idiotic macho pride about their symptoms and are more likely to seek medical help for them. This pose of not mentioning injury after a match is an extension of that same silliness, that to be honest about your physical condition is either unmanly or unsporting, maybe both. It's foolishness. Answering a question honestly about your physical condition after a match is not demeaning to your opponent.

In response to the question asked, I go with 'A'.

In response to the above comment, I go with ' If you are not fit enough to play,forfeit the match'.

If you are fit enough to play, do so and take it like a man if you lose.

tacou 12-27-2012 11:49 AM

A) all the way. Like Roddick always said, if you decide to play you are 100%.

Warmaster 12-27-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 7081731)
A) all the way. Like Roddick always said, if you decide to play you are 100%.

That doesn't mean you can't get injured during the game in which case I don't see any reason not to mention the injury when asked about it.

Ellipses 12-27-2012 01:12 PM

The problem with B is that no one ever cares about whether the reporter brought it up or not. That's why you have all the quote mining that goes on around here.

Personally, I would only publicly (and briefly) mention an injury if I was both asked about it and I won. Not perfect, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 7081602)
Whenever. They'll get criticised for it based on how much the person dislikes them.

^ This.

albatros_forehand 12-27-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warmaster (Post 7081738)
That doesn't mean you can't get injured during the game in which case I don't see any reason not to mention the injury when asked about it.

So let's put it this way. If you decide to go on you are 100% (and no need to cry about it later)

Mick 12-27-2012 02:00 PM

in the old days, the australian players said if you decided to play then you're not injured.

woodrow1029 12-27-2012 02:14 PM

Ask Nadal. He should be able to tell you.

Candide 12-27-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 7081892)
in the old days, the australian players said if you decided to play then you're not injured.

Well said. Anyone who's ever played sport at any kind of level knows that playing injury free is the exception not the rule. If you can tie up your boots then you're fit enough to go.

sportsfan1 12-27-2012 03:08 PM

The only correct option is a) "No mention of the injury at all, completely dismiss any connection between injury and loss. Dont talk about it even if brought up.", much like Rafa did after his loss to Ferrer in the the AO. Anything that's said about an injury, even if true, just makes it sound like an excuse.

Prisoner of Birth 12-27-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quoted for truth.

DragonBlaze 12-27-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

This was basically my response as soon as I read the thread title. Spot on.