Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thinking about buying a Roku box (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449158)

mikeler 12-27-2012 10:48 AM

Thinking about buying a Roku box

We are mainly looking to get Netflix streaming. Any tips, suggestions and/or recommendations about which unit to buy and what other services to purchase?

Power Player 12-27-2012 11:36 AM

If price is not an issue, look at the Apple TV. You can integrate it so easily with your ipad and iphone. For example the free remote app will control your AppleTv with your iphone.

mikeler 12-27-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7081640)
If price is not an issue, look at the Apple TV. You can integrate it so easily with your ipad and iphone. For example the free remote app will control your AppleTv with your iphone.

Does it have Netflix?

Andyroo10567 12-27-2012 11:43 AM

I have the apple TV 2 720p version and its great. Jailbreaking the Apple TV 2 can unlock you a great library of movies/tv shows *Hint*Hint* :) And yes the Apple TV does have Netflix as well as Hulu. The new Apple TV that just came out a while ago can go as high as 1080p as long as your TV can go that high.

EDIT : Look at this link, i just read over it and there is some pretty good comparisons. http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...media_showdown

Jeebs 12-27-2012 11:52 AM

I've got a boxee which is great. Pretty sure that works with Netflix.

jonnyboi09 12-27-2012 09:11 PM

I have a Roku and it works pretty well. I basically bought it for Netfix but ended up using it for Hulu Plus and my brother in law works for Amazon so free Amazon Prime!

rk_sports 12-28-2012 12:08 AM

So far I have used...
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Logitech Revue (Google TV)
  • Western Digital TV Live
  • Samsung Blu-ray

Other things being similar, 2 main differences with Roku and Revue --

Roku 2 XS comes with a motion remote with which you can play few games like angry birds (although not sure if anyone wanna play that anymore ;))

Logitech Revue (Google TV) comes a full keyboard which makes it so easy to search stuff on youtube, plus Google TV has full browser (Chrome) -- so for those reasons, it is my fav of the others above

Andyroo10567 12-28-2012 12:41 AM

@Above, I connected my bluetooth Apple keyboard to my Apple TV. You can use any bluetooth keyboard to pair with the box. Though, i have to say it, but a jailbroken Apple TV would be a cheaper alternative if you use Netflix. I used Netflix for quite a while and found out about the free streaming you can get from a Jailbroken Apple TV and i immediately canceled my subscription and bought the box. Ever since, its been doing me wonders!

Power Player 12-28-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7081659)
I have the apple TV 2 720p version and its great. Jailbreaking the Apple TV 2 can unlock you a great library of movies/tv shows *Hint*Hint* :) And yes the Apple TV does have Netflix as well as Hulu. The new Apple TV that just came out a while ago can go as high as 1080p as long as your TV can go that high.

EDIT : Look at this link, i just read over it and there is some pretty good comparisons. http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...media_showdown

Andy, I have the same ATV2. How hard is it to jailbreak? I would love to have access to all the movies..espically if you are hinting at newer releases as well.

mikeler 12-28-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7082677)
Andy, I have the same ATV2. How hard is it to jailbreak? I would love to have access to all the movies..espically if you are hinting at newer releases as well.

Interested in this as well. I've never jailbroken Apple products before just because I like the way they work out of the box.

jonnythan 12-28-2012 06:35 AM

I've used Netflix on the Roku 2 XS, Western Digital TV Live, and Apple TV. The Roku is the best way to do Netflix with minimal other hassle.

mikeler 12-28-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 7082702)
I've used Netflix on the Roku 2 XS, Western Digital TV Live, and Apple TV. The Roku is the best way to do Netflix with minimal other hassle.

Call me a hassle hater. I'm pretty sure Roku is the way I want to go but since I've got an Apple centric place, I still want to explore Apple TV some more.

Power Player 12-28-2012 07:08 AM

Netflix is not an issue for me on the apple tv at all. the integration is awesome. It just matters how your stereo is set up through your TV. For example, if you had pandora or spotify and your tv is running through good speakers, you can control your music with your iphone or ipad. you can do a photostream through your tv, show your iphone videos on tv..put your web browser up there..its really versatile.

I got mine as a gift, and didnt really start using it much until I figured this stuff out.

mikeler 12-28-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7082728)
Netflix is not an issue for me on the apple tv at all. the integration is awesome. It just matters how your stereo is set up through your TV. For example, if you had pandora or spotify and your tv is running through good speakers, you can control your music with your iphone or ipad. you can do a photostream through your tv, show your iphone videos on tv..put your web browser up there..its really versatile.

I got mine as a gift, and didnt really start using it much until I figured this stuff out.

All those are very cool features but I'm just not sure if I would use any of them.

jonnythan 12-28-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7082715)
Call me a hassle hater. I'm pretty sure Roku is the way I want to go but since I've got an Apple centric place, I still want to explore Apple TV some more.

If you do have an Apple-centric place, the AppleTV is the obvious choice. It's a great little box and the Netflix experience on it is pretty much on par with Roku. I would recommend a Roku for someone who won't be using it to connect to iTunes or iPhones or anything, but if you do have other iProducts definitely go with the AppleTV. Airplay by itself is reason to get one if you have other Apple stuff.

Ico 12-28-2012 07:57 AM

Apple TV works brilliantly at home for me. Best part is using Watch ESPN on the iPad and AirPlay streaming to put tennis coverage on my tv when none of the networks are carrying the event.

mikeler 12-28-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ico (Post 7082853)
Apple TV works brilliantly at home for me. Best part is using Watch ESPN on the iPad and AirPlay streaming to put tennis coverage on my tv when none of the networks are carrying the event.

Oooooh, now you have me sold. I'm big into watching college football and the ability to have anything on Watch ESPN is very appealing. Thanks for the info.

canadad 12-28-2012 08:22 AM

I was actually going to get an Apple TV as well. Here is a detailed demo that I thought was pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_GUuJyyyRQ
The actual demo starts at about 3:50.

Ico 12-28-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7082916)
Oooooh, now you have me sold. I'm big into watching college football and the ability to have anything on Watch ESPN is very appealing. Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, we have Watch ESPN through our cable provider (Optimum/Cablevision) and I assume yours does to. The Apple TV itself doesn't magically give you the service, it just makes it dead-simple for you to take the stream from an iPad, iPhone, iPod, or Mac and put on a much larger screen.

Hope you enjoy whatever purchase you make.

Murray_fan1 12-28-2012 08:41 AM

Raspberry Pi. Runs XBMC and is insanely cheap to obtain.