Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   String Color; Does It Matter? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449176)

Disneos 12-27-2012 01:43 PM

String Color; Does It Matter?

So lately I've been looking at what strings I want to put in my new racquets whenever I order them and have been looking at strings that come in red and black, over the years I've seen people with mixed opinions some think color makes a difference some does, me I'm partial to the red color but I'm wondering if anyone thinks color truly effects TW performance of the string in any way, even if its the exact same string with a different color ... ( personally I doubt it but wanna hear some opinions, the strings are pro line II from kirschbaum )

cluckcluck 12-27-2012 01:47 PM

There are people that really care about what color string is going in their frames. I personally don't care all that much, as long as it plays awesome.

Drew24 12-27-2012 01:51 PM

Well, I think it's just all preference. Although I have used string such as Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex in many colors and to me, each color feels different. Such as the black feels a bit stiffer while as the white feels soft and crisp. But it could be my mind. haha.

Mick 12-27-2012 01:56 PM

i like black strings and the black widow strings come in black :-)

db10s 12-27-2012 02:03 PM

I like Prince Beast but it only looks good in a Rebel, but I won't use it in a HM 200G because it would look terrible. But when I put Black Widow in a Rebel 98, it looks like a bumble bee frame.

mrmike 12-27-2012 02:04 PM

I don't really perceive a big difference, but the main reason I won't buy colored strings again was due to my recent experience. Used a black colored string and they created string marks on tons of balls till eventually you can see the sweet spot area of the stringed is devoid of color. Sticking to natural from now on.

db10s 12-27-2012 02:07 PM

Of course you could use PSG w/ Df and get optic yellow strings so the ball blends into the strings.

db10s 12-27-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 7081898)
I don't really perceive a big difference, but the main reason I won't buy colored strings again was due to my recent experience. Used a black colored string and they created string marks on tons of balls till eventually you can see the sweet spot area of the stringed is devoid of color. Sticking to natural from now on.

What string? All of the color just rubbed off?

I'm used to stuff like that because I have to use a stencil on all of my strings, so it doesn't bother me.

mrmike 12-27-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7081903)
What string? All of the color just rubbed off?

I'm used to stuff like that because I have to use a stencil on all of my strings, so it doesn't bother me.

Volkl Power Fibre II multi. The color didn't all wear off but in the sweet spot area you can see that much of the color is gone. The string plays well so no complaints there. Maybe the multi colored synguts do not have this issue?

TimothyO 12-27-2012 03:14 PM

According to John at G&G in some cases it can change performance. So After testing a given string in its different colors he may not carry a given color due to performance.

fundrazer 12-27-2012 03:22 PM

I think some posters here have noticed a difference with the x-one variants. You can get it in a natural or red color. Think the common consensus was that the red was a bit stiffer or began to fray earlier. Can't remember for certain.

canny 12-27-2012 03:47 PM

Yes color definitely affects the string. In some strings it might be minute or very large. any additive that effects the chemical makeup or components of the string will affect its characteristics.

http://msvstrings.wordpress.com/2008...n-performance/

v-verb 12-27-2012 04:18 PM

I like black strings - looks good with my POGS and Borons on which I use black over-wraps. But seriously isn't a biggie

Francis27 12-27-2012 04:20 PM

I like black strings too. But i think on some strings colour does matter because of the dye they use on the strings. But to me i dont really notice a difference

db10s 12-27-2012 06:12 PM

No difference with poly IMO.

Ace of Aces 12-27-2012 10:32 PM

I always try to restring the factory color if possible. Just my tennis superstition.

3fees 12-28-2012 08:13 AM

Little difference,aesthetics mostly.

The Meat 12-28-2012 08:39 AM

Red strings indicate that you have insanely fast racquet head speed :)

Imagine what the insurance on the racquet must cost like.

Calor1 01-16-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canny (Post 7082005)
Yes color definitely affects the string. In some strings it might be minute or very large. any additive that effects the chemical makeup or components of the string will affect its characteristics.

http://msvstrings.wordpress.com/2008...n-performance/

We have now playtested all of the MSV Co.-Focus strings we carry paying attention to performance characteristics of the varying colors. We have not been able to distinguish any discernible difference in overall playability of the strings on the court.

struggle 01-16-2013 05:56 AM

indeed, sometimes different colours in the "same" string will feel/play somewhat differently. differs with the string at hand.