Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tennis recruiting question (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449189)

10istalent 12-27-2012 05:31 PM

Tennis recruiting question

I noticed on Tennis Recruiting that a 5 star, listed on their tr profile as a junior graduating 2014 has committed to a great school. This person is in fact a senior and is rightfully graduating 2013 and going to that school. Does it matter to coaches if you lie about your graduating year? There are about 10 kids I know in our section in my daughters age group that have lied about their grade. Do their stars go up? Is this why they do it?

Chemist 12-27-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7082056)
I noticed on Tennis Recruiting that a 5 star, listed on their tr profile as a junior graduating 2014 has committed to a great school. This person is in fact a senior and is rightfully graduating 2013 and going to that school. Does it matter to coaches if you lie about your graduating year? There are about 10 kids I know in our section in my daughters age group that have lied about their grade. Do their stars go up? Is this why they do it?

Is it possible that the year of graduation shown on TRN is only an estimate. The coach should know her/his actual year of graduation and should have already seen her/him in action. I think the ranking would go up significantly if it's a boy who repeats 8th grade. The ranking would not go up as much (but would still go up) for a girl repeating the 8th grade. Thus, by not updating the actual graduation year (they may not have actually lied) this kid would have a higher TRN ranking and would get more coaches' attention. BTW, only very few juniors, most likely high blue chips, have verbally committed to college.

10ismom 12-27-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7082056)

Short answer is yes. It is dirty business IMO.

Know many smart kids got held back....for real or just lying.

Bash and Crash 12-27-2012 08:13 PM

It is strange to change your year, but I know a local kid who is a freshman who just switched back to 8th grader on TRN, can't tell if it changed his rating because I think he was already a 5 star.

dallasoliver 12-28-2012 05:58 AM

This topic has been discussed on many threads. Here is the official Tennis Recruiting position on the topic...

(1) We want all kids to have correct graduation years, but there is no good source for that information. We make educated guesses on kids - which is what leads to the clearly-marked "provisional" graduation years on profiles. When players/parents link to their profile, they can confirm/update their graduation years.

(2) We have policies in place that make it difficult for people to modify a confirmed graduation year. Modification involves contact from Tennis Recruiting personnel - and in many cases we require documentation if they are switching to a younger class year.

(3) We invite our users to contact us about kids suspected of having an improper graduation year. We follow those up. Send any comments to info@tennisrecruiting.net.

(4) If a player is "old" for their grade, we may request documentation from a school, but we allow it. There are many situations that lead to 19-year-old seniors - we are not in the business of tracking these down to determine the reasons behind the classification. If a player can provide documentation for a graduation year, we will rank him with that graduation year.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Dallas

Rina 12-28-2012 07:12 AM

I have a different question. How many wins do you need to get to more stars? My son beat a few kids with one star more than him, yet he is still one star below these kids. Do wins have to be over older kids or same age kids? There is also a kid in our section(not mine) who has beaten many five star recruits during the last year, yet he is still a three star recruit?

dallasoliver 12-28-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rina (Post 7082731)
I have a different question. How many wins do you need to get to more stars? My son beat a few kids with one star more than him, yet he is still one star below these kids. Do wins have to be over older kids or same age kids? There is also a kid in our section(not mine) who has beaten many five star recruits during the last year, yet he is still a three star recruit?

Top Prospect Ratings - or "the Stars" - are very coarse rankings that are only released twice a year. They are based on kids' highest rankings during an 8-week rating period. The next ratings period starts in January, and the next Top Prospect Ratings come out in mid-March. You can read more in our FAQ:

http://tennisrecruiting.net/faq/ratings.asp

Best,
Dallas

Rina 12-28-2012 07:18 AM

Thank you!

Chemist 12-30-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rina (Post 7082731)

Is it possible that your son beat kids with one star higher but maybe 1-2 grades lower. In addition, I believe the system also takes into account of "bad losses" to kids who are ranked significantly lower for the same grade or similarly or even higher ranked for lower grades.