Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gripping high and gripping low (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449222)

GentlemanJohn 12-28-2012 02:39 AM

Gripping high and gripping low

What are the advantages of a high gripping or a low gripping on the racquet handle ? Is it technically wrong to grip in the middle of the handle instead of gripping more to the lower side of the handle ?

dominikk1985 12-28-2012 07:08 AM

if you grip on the very end of the racket your racket will be a longer lever thus creating higher RHS.

on serve many pros even have the pinky off the handle because they grab the knob.

michael chang was well known to use a longer racket to compensate for his short arms and create more power.

dman72 12-28-2012 07:19 AM

Starting from the bottom of the handle, the further you move up the handle, you decrease power, increase control, and slightly decrease reach.

I often start choking up on my racquet if I find that too many balls are sailing long on my forehand in a particular match.

moopie 12-28-2012 09:27 AM

I remember noticing on a video on youtube that Federer held at the very bottom on a forehand, but when he transitioned to the net he shifted his grip up and you can see like half an inch of the grip below his pinky.

JRstriker12 12-28-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GentlemanJohn (Post 7082559)
What are the advantages of a high gripping or a low gripping on the racquet handle ? Is it technically wrong to grip in the middle of the handle instead of gripping more to the lower side of the handle ?

It's not technically wrong to grip in the middle. IMHO- It's more of a player's preference, where they feel most comfortable. I honestly don't think moving your grip up or down a fraction of an inch is going to make much difference compared to simply gripping the racket where it feels best to you.

I tend to hold the racket low with the knob almost in the palm of my hand on my forehand. Feels like I can keep a loser grip that way and still swing fast.

I have to move it up a bit for more stability for my one-hander on the backhand side or when going to continental for a volley.

anubis 12-28-2012 09:57 AM

Whenever i'm at the net, I always choke up. Anything that requires finesse, control and accuracy. But if I'm just hitting groundies from the baseline, I hold the racquet as close to the butt as possible.

LeeD 01-01-2013 07:22 AM

As noted, control vs rackethead speed.
Volleys need the most rackethead control.
Serves the most rackethead speed.
Also, if your racket tends to be on the heavier side, choking up gives you the quickness and ease of swing of a lighter racket.
It also makes less power from the shorter leverage arm, sometimes an acceptable tradeoff.

Clay lover 01-01-2013 07:29 AM

Of all the pros I have seen play, Verdasco and Roddick chokes up the most on groundstrokes.

Federer and Nadal basically hit with half their pinky off the racquet.

LeeD 01-01-2013 07:36 AM

As said, player preference.
Some players want the extra leverage for more RHS.
Some players want more control from their strokes.
Not all of us are alike.