Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal will retire this year (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449252)

RogerRacket111 12-28-2012 09:56 AM

Nadal will retire this year

As much as I would love to see him back the way things are going for him I think he is headed towards retirement. I think its hard for him to come back after such an extended break. When he comes back he is not going have the mental edge. He will attempt to go straight to the clay court season where he feels most comfortable. In the end he will retire much sooner than Roger.

cluckcluck 12-28-2012 09:57 AM

As much as I don't think that Nadal has much more time left in his career, I think saying he'll retire in 2013 is rather premature. Especially since we have not see him play in 6 months.

6-1 6-3 6-0 12-28-2012 09:58 AM

Yep, if only Nadal could retire right as he is about to thoroughly destroy federer's slam record. The ideal world for a Talk Tennis poster. :-P

TheF1Bob 12-28-2012 10:00 AM

^^

You've completely lost it my friend. :lol:

niktub 12-28-2012 10:01 AM

that's sad

I can't believe this virus thing.

Phoenix1983 12-28-2012 10:07 AM

It is certainly likely he will retire very soon.

He will retire with the exact same slam record as Borg (11 wins, 5 losing finals).

Never will he be able to be mentioned in the same breath as Fed and Sampras.

Shangri La 12-28-2012 10:12 AM

Nadal wont be mentally ready to compete on the pro tour any more whether he makes a comeback or not.

Monsieur_DeLarge 12-28-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1983 (Post 7083271)

He will retire with the exact same slam record as Borg (11 wins, 5 losing finals).

I don't think it's "likely", but unfortunately I think it's no longer outlandish. One more postponement ~ calling off his Acapulco comeback to avoid the IW/Miami hardcourt double-header and waiting until Monte Carlo instead ~ and I'll start to get nervous.

Regards,
MDL

veroniquem 12-28-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1983 (Post 7083271)

Wow, wow, wow, hold your horses buddy. Sampras didn't even win all 4 slams and has about half as many master titles as Nadal.

This prediction is WAY premature. We'll know more about where Rafa stands after the clay season. His results on hard have been a bit shaky since 2009 (with the shining exception of his USO 2010 success) but his results on clay have stayed strong. I'm not gonna give credit to any definitive statement until we see what happens on clay.

Towser83 12-28-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7083310)
Wow, wow, wow, hold your horses buddy. Sampras didn't even win all 4 slams and has about half as many master titles as Nadal.

This prediction is WAY premature. We'll know more about where Rafa stands after the clay season. His results on hard have been a bit shaky since 2009 (with the shining exception of his USO 2010 success) but his results on clay have stayed strong. I'm not gonna give credit to any definitive statement until we see what happens on clay.

IF he plays on clay. Can't believe I'm even saying this... but if he doesn't show at Acapulco, I don't think he will return. :(

veroniquem 12-28-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 7083364)
IF he plays on clay. Can't believe I'm even saying this... but if he doesn't show at Acapulco, I don't think he will return. :(

If he doesn't show up on clay, yeah, everything is lost but I still believe he WILL show up on clay. I believe if all events since Wimbledon had been on clay, he would have already got back. Can't blame him for being a bit more nervous about hard court, given the circumstances.

DropShotArtist 12-28-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7083378)
If he doesn't show up on clay, yeah, everything is lost but I still believe he WILL show up on clay. I believe if all events since Wimbledon had been on clay, he would have already got back. Can't blame him for being a bit more nervous about hard court, given the circumstances.

do you also believe in Santa Claus?

Towser83 12-28-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7083378)

I hope he does show up but i am so used to the endless delay that i no longer expect anything. the thing is if he knees have been bad all this time and he's only started to practise in the last month(?) then it wouldn't have been a good idea to have returned by now if there had been clay. if he is fit to play he has to come back asap to get some matchplay.

Also now if he returns in acapulco there is a chance he will get beaten in a clay 500. Big knock to confidence. maybe he will skip that and play iw but if he misses both then i fear the worst.

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 11:05 AM

The calendar is a major grind. Add in all the travelling and press and training and tournaments and Nadal may not want to do it anymore. He was vocal about the calendar for years. Now he wants to be a full time golfer and part time poker player.

Gonzo_style 12-28-2012 11:05 AM

I think you're a little confused in which year you are...

forzamilan90 12-28-2012 11:08 AM

Bold statement that retires this year despite the setbacks.

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 11:08 AM

So how does this work if Nadal can't ever regain his best form? If he retires, does it mean Nadal won the battle but Federer won the war? I mean this is ALL ABOUT the Slams!

RogerRacket111 12-28-2012 11:13 AM

If he retires Federer does with the war. But it will still nag him that he has a losing record against his main rival. But history will favor Federer. Nadal will be a Borg like figure.

RogerRacket111 12-28-2012 11:18 AM

Nadals retirement will be much like pulling out of a match due to cramping when your up by a set. I think fitness and longevity is part of the game and preparation. In the end Federer wins.

I would have loved to have seen Roger figure out how to beat him with that one handed backhand.

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRacket111 (Post 7083417)
Nadals retirement will be much like pulling out of a match due to cramping when your up by a set. I think fitness and longevity is part of the game and preparation. In the end Federer wins.

I would have loved to have seen Roger figure out how to beat him with that one handed backhand.

Federer's not gonna figure anything out at age 31. He can't even figure out Berdych anymore in the Slams by the looks of it.