Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   5 Things About Nadal Withdrawal from AO (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449262)

nikdom 12-28-2012 12:34 PM

5 Things About Nadal Withdrawal from AO

Ok. A lot of speculation about the 'why' of Nadal's withdrawal. I don't know if he's doping or if he'll retire, but what about the less controversial speculations -

Here are my top 5 -

1. He only comes back for clay in 2013

2. Murray and Djokovic will now fight for No.1 (Fed may not be as interested in the ranking as much as trying to win more slams)

3. There is no chance Nadal's going to be number 1 again if he only plays clay

4. This makes room for and gives hope to folks like Del Po, Berdych and Ferrer to make a push to get in the Top 4. One of them could bag a slam in 2013

5. I don't think Nadal will ever cross Sampras' record, let alone Fed's

What do you think?

Phoenix1983 12-28-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikdom (Post 7083571)
Ok. A lot of speculation about the 'why' of Nadal's withdrawal. I don't know if he's doping or if he'll retire, but what about the less controversial speculations -

Here are my top 5 -

1. He only comes back for clay in 2013

2. Murray and Djokovic will now fight for No.1 (Fed may not be as interested in the ranking as much as trying to win more slams)

3. There is no chance Nadal's going to be number 1 again if he only plays clay

4. This makes room for and gives hope to folks like Del Po, Berdych and Ferrer to make a push to get in the Top 4. One of them could bag a slam in 2013

5. I don't think Nadal will ever cross Sampras' record, let alone Fed's

What do you think?

I agree with most of this. Certainly he will remain ranked behind Sampras and Fed, and it will forever be a toss-up between him and Borg.

nikdom 12-28-2012 02:47 PM

If I can make a controversial speculation about Nadal, it would be this -

He's scared of losing and his hurting his macho, no-one-beats-me-unless-I'm-injured image. How injured he was in 2012, only he knows. Certainly it wasn't like he succumbed to any obvious physical problem on the court unable to move another inch when losing to Rosol.

Nadal fans like to take the side of saying, "well, he played through heavy medication for pain relief". My question is, how do you know? It is just as likely that even if injured, that they weren't a factor as much as he makes them out to be.

Even now, if he says that the knees are well, then it seems premature to pullout of the AO because of a stomach bug. It seems he doesn't want another earlier round loss to an inspired opponent.

mistik 12-28-2012 02:50 PM

All of them is true except the number 1.He will never turn back.

monfed 12-28-2012 03:19 PM

My prediction - Ralph will play the clay-grass swing, will win RG,might win Wimby and then pull out of the rest of the season.

But yea I don't think he'll ever be #1 again, but never say never.

Mustard 12-28-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikdom (Post 7083897)
Nadal fans like to take the side of saying, "well, he played through heavy medication for pain relief". My question is, how do you know? It is just as likely that even if injured, that they weren't a factor as much as he makes them out to be.

My question is, why does it matter? If you start playing a match, you are declaring yourself fit enough to play. Nadal started the match against Rosol, so he was fit to play. Rosol won, end of story. Obsessing over how fit such and such player is, has zero effect on the legitimacy of wins and losses.

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 08:01 PM

I personally think Djokovic made Nadal second-guess his super gladiator image and self belief when Djokovic smashed him 7 straight times. Nadal got some confidence back on clay and then Rosol buried him, destroying Nadal's confidence once again and leaving it in tatters. Nadal is terrified by the looks of it.

monfed 12-28-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7084501)
I personally think Djokovic made Nadal second-guess his super gladiator image and self belief when Djokovic smashed him 7 straight times. Nadal got some confidence back on clay and then Rosol buried him, destroying Nadal's confidence once again and leaving it in tatters. Nadal is terrified by the looks of it.

Djokovic seemed like the insurmountable challenge for Nadal(after those 7 losses) and he did overcome that to a great extent atleast on clay,
why would a one-off freak loss against Rosol leave him in tatters? It just doesn't add up.

fedfan46 12-28-2012 08:14 PM

This may be a dumb question, but if rafa has chronic knee problems, why would he come back from what will be an 8 month layoff to play on the surface that is hardest on the body? I understand its his best surface but still...

Rjtennis 12-28-2012 08:22 PM

It's going to tough to be #1 if he plays a limited schedule. Also, i really could see Nadal getting knocked out at the FO by Nole if he doesn't make a strong return. Playing on clay wont matter if his knees are still shaky. But I still don't see anyone other than Fed, Murray,Rafa and Nole bagging a slam in 2013. The only way I see it happening is all of then get knock out prior to the finals. People like Berdych and Tsonga are too big of head cases to win a slam and Ferru has little to no chance against the top 4.

rafan 12-28-2012 09:29 PM

His knee problem was well known in Majorca when I was there so for heaven sake so specualting

Clarky21 12-28-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfan46 (Post 7084531)
This may be a dumb question, but if rafa has chronic knee problems, why would he come back from what will be an 8 month layoff to play on the surface that is hardest on the body? I understand its his best surface but still...

Clay is not hard on the body at all. It's the best surface to protect the joints on. Hardcourts are joint killers and is the surface that is the hardest on the body.

cc0509 12-28-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084520)
Djokovic seemed like the insurmountable challenge for Nadal(after those 7 losses) and he did overcome that to a great extent atleast on clay,
why would a one-off freak loss against Rosol leave him in tatters? It just doesn't add up.

It wouldn't. It is the dumbest theory I have ever heard.

cc0509 12-28-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafan (Post 7084605)
His knee problem was well known in Majorca when I was there so for heaven sake so specualting

Did you happen to see his MRI reports or X-rays when you were there? ;)

big ted 12-28-2012 09:39 PM

why all the speculation, why is it so hard to believe that he actually has as stomach virus and isnt/wont be physically ready for the australian open. his knee may not be 100percent either because of the illness. when someone gets sick their whole body usually gets weaker.

bullfan 12-28-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7084501)

I consider that laughable. Nadal beat Djokovic 3 times on clay and in a GS after Nadal came close when one wouldn't have thought he would in AO. Rosol was nothing except to Nadal haters.

bullfan 12-28-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big ted (Post 7084619)
why all the speculation, why is it so hard to believe that he actually has as stomach virus and isnt/wont be physically ready for the australian open. his knee may not be 100percent either because of the illness. when someone gets sick their whole body usually gets weaker.

He pulled out of the AO if you didn't know. Hence the added drama over Nadal.

billnepill 12-28-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big ted (Post 7084619)

The timing of and logic behind the withdrawal

big ted 12-28-2012 09:48 PM

i think the only players who would actually play a gs event after taking 6 months off with no time to practice all the while having a stomach virus are a 1990s agassi and maybe safin.

dafinch 12-28-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfan46 (Post 7084531)

Hard courts? Nadal's best surface? Uhhhhh, no. And, btw, how long has it been since he has won on ANY surface besides clay? Two years?