Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   All eyes are now on Andy Murray...whose side will he be on??? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449279)

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 02:07 PM

All eyes are now on Andy Murray...whose side will he be on???

For the AO, neither Djoker nor Federer is scared of #4 David Ferrer. He'll be smashed by either of them in straights. #3 Murray is the man to be feared.
I cannot see Federer going through Murray and Djokovic back to back. But I can see Djokovic going through Murray and Federer back to back.

Cup8489 12-28-2012 02:07 PM

I want Muzza on Djoke's side.

90's Clay 12-28-2012 02:08 PM

Can't see anyone taking Murray out besides Nole. So Andy's best bet is to stear clear of Nole until the finals and hope he loses.

pringles 12-28-2012 02:21 PM

This is what I feel the percentages are at the moment (for the AO):

Federer vs Murray - 60/40 Federer
Federer vs Djokovic 75/25 Djokovic
Djokovic vs Murray 55/45 Djokovic

Homeboy Hotel 12-28-2012 02:23 PM

Ferrer won't make the SF if Federer/Berdych/Ferrer are all on one side.

I think Berdych could take out Ferrer and then possibly Federer (all matches QF onwards played at night, similar conditions to USO night)

Who'da called it? Berdych in another slam final. Berdych vs Djokovic/Murray

underground 12-28-2012 02:28 PM

I strongly believe that Murray will land on Djoker's half and Federer will reach the AO final regardless of result. However the draws are always rigged so you may never know, the officials might want Federer to be in the final desperately though seeing how they can't have Djokodal final.

monfed 12-28-2012 02:29 PM

As per usual Murray would be put on Fed's side,I mean Fed didn't even get an easy draw in the USO when he deserved one since he was #1, that's how bad the big shots in the ATP want Fed out of slam contention. Maybe Tennis Australia too *Rod Laver hint hint*

Though there's a high probability that he might be taken out by one of the big hitters like Tberd/JMDP in the QFs. But yea Fed's gonna get a stinker of a draw with Murray in the semis and JMDP/Berdych in the QFs.

veroniquem 12-28-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7083789)
For the AO, neither Djoker nor Federer is scared of #4 David Ferrer. He'll be smashed by either of them in straights. #3 Murray is the man to be feared.
I cannot see Federer going through Murray and Djokovic back to back. But I can see Djokovic going through Murray and Federer back to back.

Djoko has already gone through Fed and Murray back to back (in 2011)

Ray Mercer 12-28-2012 02:47 PM

Djokovic is the heavy favorite for this tournament with the snail slow court speed. We need Djokovic to play Murray in the semi to see a decent final.

Mainad 12-28-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7083847)
I mean Fed didn't even get an easy draw in the USO when he deserved one since he was #1, that's how bad the big shots in the ATP want Fed out of slam contention.

You really think having to play the likes of Donald Young, Bjorn Phau, Fernando Verdasco and then getting a walkover against Mardy Fish before meeting Tomas Berdych (whom he had already beaten in the final of Madrid) was a tough draw for Federer?? :confused:

monfed 12-28-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7083922)
You really think having to play the likes of Donald Young, Bjorn Phau, Fernando Verdasco and then getting a walkover against Mardy Fish before meeting Tomas Berdych (whom he had already beaten in the final of Madrid) was a tough draw for Federer?? :confused:

Yes I really think having to play Fish-Berdych-Murray-Djokovic is the hardest possible draw he could've got on the Hardcourts of USO. It's another thing Fish pulled out but I can't believe you're mentioning Rounds 1,2,3 as evidence that Fed had it easy, cmon stop kidding. :lol:

And Tomas Berdych has Fed's number in the slams, the guy can basically hit him off the court and Fed can't do anything to stop it.

veroniquem 12-28-2012 02:58 PM

We were deprived of the Fed/Murray semi clash at USO. I want to see it at AO. I'm sure Djoko would like to see it too :)

nikdom 12-28-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

All eyes are now on Andy Murray...whose side will he be on???
I would hope his own!

veroniquem 12-28-2012 03:05 PM

I can't believe Fed fans are whining in advance about the draw when Djoko's draws at the last 2 AO have been some of the toughest in open era (ie 3 top 5 players to beat in 2012 and 3 top 6 players in 2011. )

Hitman 12-28-2012 03:10 PM

I think Andy is going to be full of confidence going into AO. He has been battling Djokovic hard this part year, and their rivalry has really taken centre stage. In fact it was their AO semi that was prelude of things to come, Murray played so solidly in that match and put on a epic battle - One of my favs, and that third set was one of the most brutal sets of tennis I have seen.

I do think he would want to avoid the Joker, as would anyone else on this surface. Novak is the man to beat, and is the man in Melbourne until proven otherwise. At his best, he mows down the draw ala 2011, even at lower level, he beats his opponents who are battling their hardest against him and outlasts them ala 2012.

Federer is the one who need the luck of the draw, since I think he is most vulnerable to a quarter final upset than the other two. Berdych is probably the guy he would want in Joker's quarter as well Murray in the other half.

Towser83 12-28-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Berdych has become a dangerous player for Fed... But yeah, well he would have had to play Murray in the semis, so you're right he got a draw full of useless mugs.

... oh no I didn't! :twisted:

jokinla 12-28-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7083789)

You mean like he did last summer at Wimbledon.

Mainad 12-28-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 7083978)
Berdych has become a dangerous player for Fed... But yeah, well he would have had to play Murray in the semis, so you're right he got a draw full of useless mugs.

... oh no I didn't! :twisted:

Well, it's apparent Berdych has become a dangerous player for Fed NOW! Prior to this year's USO, he was 4-1 v Berdych in Slams and 11-4 overall. And as you point out, he would have then only had to play Murray, one of his favourite pigeons in Slam matches and then play Djoko whom he had already beaten at Wimbledon and should have beaten at the 2 previous USOs! ;)

zagor 12-28-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Aside from Fish's withdrawal the first 3-4 rounds were standard opponents for a top player in a slam, nothing out of the ordinary.

However the toughest possible QF opponent for Fed is Berdych and Murray is by far the harder SF opponent compared to Ferrer so yes I'd say Fed had a tough draw at USO this year, the toughest possible for him given the current situation.

For the big 4 it's far more important who they meet in QF and SF than the first 4 rounds anyway so given Nadal's withdrawal on which half Murray lands is obviously going to be a big factor.

That said, more of a factor for Fed IMO because I believe Novak could beat Murray and Fed back-to-back to win AO but I don't think it's feasible for Fed to beat Murray and Novak back-to-back to win AO.

zagor 12-28-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7084021)
Well, it's apparent Berdych has become a dangerous player for Fed NOW! Prior to this year's USO, he was 4-1 v Berdych in Slams and 11-4 overall. And as you point out, he would have then only had to play Murray, one of his favourite pigeons in Slam matches and then play Djoko whom he had already beaten at Wimbledon and should have beaten at the 2 previous USOs! ;)

Berdych has been a dangerous opponent for Fed ever since 2010 and while Murray may be Fed's pigeon in slam matches, Ferrer is his pigeon anywhere, anytime :)