Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is Nadal's career coming to an end? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449288)

Headshotterer 12-28-2012 03:31 PM

Is Nadal's career coming to an end?

"RAFAEL Nadal was warned about this.

He was 19 when a foot injury gave him hell.

He pulled up a pew in his doctor's office and awaited the diagnosis. He was told his career was finished.

Nadal wept.

A congenital disease had deformed his tarsal scaphoid, the bridge of his foot. His father, Sebastian, advocated a change of profession. Nadal could hit a golf ball to kingdom come and Sebastian believed Mark Twain's idea of a good walk spoiled would spare his son's body of the jarring impact of tennis.

A second round of medical advice was sought. Nadal was informed a comeback was possible if he wore drastically modified shoes with special orthotics to divert pressure away from the bone in his foot.

The cost would be significant: his knees and/or hips and/or back would eventually buckle under the additional shock-absorbing stresses.

He decided to worry about the complications at a later date. As of his withdrawal from the US Open this week, the later date has officially arrived. "I am very sad," Nadal said while confirming the US Open would be run and won without him.

The doctor said he could not understand how he could still play. Now we train less. In 2005, we thought we might be here for two more years. Now it is 2012 and we are still here.

"

7 years ago, Nadal suffered what should have been a career ending injury. But this did not deter Nadal. He was destined for fame, greatness and magnificence. But has time finally caught up to him? I think so. I find it unlikely that he would just happen to get a stomach virus RIGHT before he was supposed to resume playing.

Honestly for me, it is a pleasure to watch him play. His competitiveness, fighting spirit, humbleness and persistence serves as an example of what a real, true human being should be.

monfed 12-28-2012 03:37 PM

This is hilarious. Absolutely not! Ralph will come all guns blazing in RG,just you watch!

Steve0904 12-28-2012 03:39 PM

Yes I think it's coming to an end, but I think he'll play again. Technically you could say every players career is coming to an end at some point ;)

dudeski 12-28-2012 04:03 PM

Everyone is overreacting. Nadal is simply waiting for clay court season to come back. He might start by beating bunch of nobodies in Latin America to play himself into shape. Nadal is simply too scared to come back on hard courts. Its all about mind games with that guy.

I don't think he is on a silent ban. He simply wants to come back and get on a winning streak on clay to get his confidence back. Stomach flu is just a lame excuse.

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-28-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084009)
This is hilarious. Absolutely not! Ralph will come all guns blazing in RG,just you watch!

Well of course, because broke knees and stomach viruses don't happen during the clay season.

monfed 12-28-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeski (Post 7084049)
Everyone is overreacting. Nadal is simply waiting for clay court season to come back. He might start by beating bunch of nobodies in Latin America to play himself into shape. Nadal is simply too scared to come back on hard courts. Its all about mind games with that guy.

I don't think he is on a silent ban. He simply wants to come back and get on a winning streak on clay to get his confidence back. Stomach flu is just a lame excuse.

Yup,as if Ralph would just give up on his mission of overtaking Fed's slam count when he can rack up RGs left n right and is still perfectly capable of winning a couple of Wimbys and nick an AO.

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084078)
Yup,as if Ralph would just give up on his mission of overtaking Fed's slam count when he can rack up RGs left n right and is still perfectly capable of winning a couple of Wimbys and nick an AO.

No more Wimbys, sorry. Definitely more RGs though.

smoledman 12-28-2012 04:34 PM

It's not an overreaction. When did Nadal ever miss 2 consecutive grand slams across 7 months like this before? He's finished. Heck any victories Federer posts on Nadal in 2013 will not feel the same.

monfed 12-28-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7084100)
It's not an overreaction. When did Nadal ever miss 2 consecutive grand slams across 7 months like this before? He's finished. Heck any victories Federer posts on Nadal in 2013 will not feel the same.

Couldn't help mentioning that could you,Lolville? :lol:

dudeski 12-28-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7084100)

Oh please. Nadal will probably have the best clay court season of his career in 2013 because in addition to sweeping in Europe he will win in Latin America. He can do that because he will be super rested while others will be tired from hard courts. I am telling you, Nadal wants to come back on a winning note and he knows he would lose in AO to someone low ranked. Nadal wants to come back by having another crazy long clay court winning streak.

dudeski 12-28-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084103)

If he is jackson vile then he sure spent a lot of effort pretending to be Federer's fan.

smoledman 12-28-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeski (Post 7084248)
If he is jackson vile then he sure spent a lot of effort pretending to be Federer's fan.

I am not Jackson Vile.

dudeski 12-28-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7084251)
I am not Jackson Vile.

I don't think you are. I mean why would you spend so many months pretending to like Federer and then don't even take advantage of Federer losing to Djokovic at WTF? Like what else could you be waiting for? Rosol to beat Federer? LOL

smoledman 12-28-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeski (Post 7084263)
I don't think you are. I mean why would you spend so many months pretending to like Federer and then don't even take advantage of Federer losing to Djokovic at WTF? Like what else could you be waiting for? Rosol to beat Federer? LOL

There is no logic to the trolls on this forum. They are insane idiots and I expect to be banned any moment due to their influence.

Amelie Mauresmo 12-28-2012 06:29 PM

Borg quit at the same age as Nadal when he was 26 he also won 11 slams just like Nadal. I think something personal is going on with Nadal, I don't think it is just because he has a stomach virus. Remember, in 2009, Nadal's parents were having marital problems and compounded with losing to Soderling he lost his confidence. Nadal needed time to recover. I believe Nadal has the knee problem which is physical but he might also be going through something emotionally in his life as well. Perhaps, Nadal has a psychological problem which compounds with his physical injury?

Rippy 12-28-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084103)

I'm pretty sure he's not Jackson_Vile. They aren't similar at all.

Mike Sams 12-28-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amelie Mauresmo (Post 7084367)
Borg quit at the same age as Nadal when he was 26 he also won 11 slams just like Nadal. I think something personal is going on with Nadal, I don't think it is just because he has a stomach virus. Remember, in 2009, Nadal's parents were having marital problems and compounded with losing to Soderling he lost his confidence. Nadal needed time to recover. I believe Nadal has physical but he might also be going through something emotionally in his life as well.

I think the Rosol loss broke his will.

monfed 12-28-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7084268)
There is no logic to the trolls on this forum. They are insane idiots and I expect to be banned any moment due to their influence.

I apologise for the LOLville mention, when you said that Fed's potential wins against Ralph in the 2013 season wouldn't count for anything,didn't quite sit well with me. So Olderer's wins against Prime Nadal shouldn't count? Why is that?

dudeski 12-28-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084395)
I apologise for the LOLville mention, when you said that Fed's potential wins against Ralph in the 2013 season wouldn't count for anything,didn't quite sit well with me. So Olderer's wins against Prime Nadal shouldn't count? Why is that?

I don't think we can call 2013 Nadal prime unless we also call 2008 Fed prime which he obviously wasn't anymore. 2013 Nadal = 2008 Fed age wise. Of course 2013 Nadal is much closer to prime than 2013 Fed so any loses to Federer would be truly embarrassing.

zagor 12-29-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7084395)

Nah, you shouldn't apologize.

But here I'll explain his logic, given that Fed fans excuse Fed losses in 2008 and beyond as Fed being past his best we should apply the same to Nadal in 2013 (as he will be the same age Fed was in 2008 ).

However, where his logic fails (as it always inevitably does) is that Nadal was 21-22 in 2008 and had the best period of his career in 2008-2010 while Fed will be 31-32 in 2013 with his best days being long behind him so Nadal's potential losses against Fed in his 30s should still very much count.