Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Wilson Blades vs Donnay P1 16x19 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449292)

Yaz 12-28-2012 04:09 PM

New Wilson Blades vs Donnay P1 16x19

Had the opportunity to hit with the new Wilson Blades today and compared them with my current Donnay P1 16/19. I could only demo 2 at a time so I had the Blade 93 and 98 18x20. Next week I will try the 98 16x19.

Some background:
Donnay: Strung with KB Proline II 16g, originally at 56 but down to about 52 by now. Was going to restring last night but wasn't able to. Stock with overgrip weighing in at 11.8.

Blade 93: Strung at shop with NXT and probably Lux4G. I was first person to use it so it felt pretty tight, probably high 50s. 11.9 with tourna grip

Blade 98: Same strings, felt a little looser, prob around 55 or so. 11.1 with tourna grip.

Me: Mid 40s 4.5. Classic strokes with good technique. Aggressive baseliner with OK volleys, OHBH with probably a little more RHS on that side.

Played 3 10pt TBs and several games of 11s with a very strong 4.5/low 5.0 partner.

Thoughts:
Blade 93: Demanding stick, too much racquet for me at my age. Obviously the strings play a big factor, but I found it a little unforgiving and difficult to generate pace. I hit better off my bh side because I swing a little faster with that stroke. On the FH I kept dumping the ball into the net and I really had to change my swing and almost just try to hit every ball as hard as I could, but obviously my consistency suffered and I just couldn't find a groove on that side. Serves were OK, good spin but lacking pace. Solid volleying racquet but only if I hit the sweetspot. Lots of control and was able to place balls almost anywhere with confidence as you might expect. Subjectively felt a little heavier than 11.9 and found it more difficult to swing towards the end of the hitting session.

Blade 98 18x20: Really, really liked this racquet. It was everything I had hoped the P1 18x20 would be, I tried that stick but it just didn't click for me. On groundstrokes, I immediately found a groove on both sides, was hitting with good depth and pace without any adjustments to my strokes. Good consistent response off the strings and no shock with a very plush feel. When I first picked up the racquets and started dry swinging, the 98 felt a bit flimsy but even though it's quite a bit lighter its more even balanced than the P1 so upon actual hitting it felt much more stable than expected. Volleys were more consistent, didn't have to hit dead center on the strings every time like the 93. The P1 is a great serving racquet for me, but the 98 18x20 was very close in terms of power and spin.

Thoughts: I like the P1 because as an older player, I can get a little more free power out of it and the foam filling really makes it a comfortable stick for me. My only gripes with it are that it's just a tad heavy and the power can be a little tough to tame sometimes. It plays great for me with fresh strings (full bed of KB PLII 16 at about 56-57) but when the tension drops I can get really inconsistent. Higher tension are tougher on the arm, and hybrids also feel just too powerful. I used a YT Prestige MP before and liked the control of the 18x20 but it didn't seem to have that putaway power I was looking for. I had hoped the P1 18x20 would provide that balance of control and power, but after an extensive test I just couldn't connect with it. So far I really like the Blade 98 because despite the lighter weight, it still has good stability and almost as much pop as the P1.

I'm going to play some dubs with all 3 racquets tomorrow, weather permitting so will report back after that. Also going to take the Blade 98 16x19 for a spin next week and compare with the P1 and Blade 98 18x20.

EDIT: Let me just add that the pj on the 93 is just awesome...the matte black with dark gray graphics looks really sharp in person...the 98 is nice too but the gloss black with chrome graphics isn't quite as striking IMO. If there was ever a racquet I would buy just based on looks alone it would be the Blade 93...lol

srvnvly 12-28-2012 05:21 PM

I've played with both the new Blade 16x19 and the P1 16x19, and my arm hurt after playing with the Wilson, trying to hit with the same pace as my BLX Blade 98; the P1 was just a bit heavy after hitting for 2+ hours at a time, which I frequently do. I wish I would have kept my P1, but I will next try the new Steam (both versions).

shogun90 12-28-2012 08:08 PM

If you like the P1 but want a little more control, I would suggest the YTK IG Prestige Pro. A little more controlled power than the P1, a tad heavier but more headlight makes them swing about the same. I'm probably a little slower coming around with the P1. I mainly play doubles, so the YTK IG PP is my choice. Both are incredible serving racquets. The P1 definitely has a more muted feel. I do not use a dampener on either racquet and us full poly @ 52#.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 7084059)
Had the opportunity to hit with the new Wilson Blades today and compared them with my current Donnay P1 16/19. I could only demo 2 at a time so I had the Blade 93 and 98 18x20. Next week I will try the 98 16x19.

Some background:
Donnay: Strung with KB Proline II 16g, originally at 56 but down to about 52 by now. Was going to restring last night but wasn't able to. Stock with overgrip weighing in at 11.8.

Blade 93: Strung at shop with NXT and probably Lux4G. I was first person to use it so it felt pretty tight, probably high 50s. 11.9 with tourna grip

Blade 98: Same strings, felt a little looser, prob around 55 or so. 11.1 with tourna grip.

Me: Mid 40s 4.5. Classic strokes with good technique. Aggressive baseliner with OK volleys, OHBH with probably a little more RHS on that side.

Played 3 10pt TBs and several games of 11s with a very strong 4.5/low 5.0 partner.

Thoughts:
Blade 93: Demanding stick, too much racquet for me at my age. Obviously the strings play a big factor, but I found it a little unforgiving and difficult to generate pace. I hit better off my bh side because I swing a little faster with that stroke. On the FH I kept dumping the ball into the net and I really had to change my swing and almost just try to hit every ball as hard as I could, but obviously my consistency suffered and I just couldn't find a groove on that side. Serves were OK, good spin but lacking pace. Solid volleying racquet but only if I hit the sweetspot. Lots of control and was able to place balls almost anywhere with confidence as you might expect. Subjectively felt a little heavier than 11.9 and found it more difficult to swing towards the end of the hitting session.

Blade 98 18x20: Really, really liked this racquet. It was everything I had hoped the P1 18x20 would be, I tried that stick but it just didn't click for me. On groundstrokes, I immediately found a groove on both sides, was hitting with good depth and pace without any adjustments to my strokes. Good consistent response off the strings and no shock with a very plush feel. When I first picked up the racquets and started dry swinging, the 98 felt a bit flimsy but even though it's quite a bit lighter its more even balanced than the P1 so upon actual hitting it felt much more stable than expected. Volleys were more consistent, didn't have to hit dead center on the strings every time like the 93. The P1 is a great serving racquet for me, but the 98 18x20 was very close in terms of power and spin.

Thoughts: I like the P1 because as an older player, I can get a little more free power out of it and the foam filling really makes it a comfortable stick for me. My only gripes with it are that it's just a tad heavy and the power can be a little tough to tame sometimes. It plays great for me with fresh strings (full bed of KB PLII 16 at about 56-57) but when the tension drops I can get really inconsistent. Higher tension are tougher on the arm, and hybrids also feel just too powerful. I used a YT Prestige MP before and liked the control of the 18x20 but it didn't seem to have that putaway power I was looking for. I had hoped the P1 18x20 would provide that balance of control and power, but after an extensive test I just couldn't connect with it. So far I really like the Blade 98 because despite the lighter weight, it still has good stability and almost as much pop as the P1.

I'm going to play some dubs with all 3 racquets tomorrow, weather permitting so will report back after that. Also going to take the Blade 98 16x19 for a spin next week and compare with the P1 and Blade 98 18x20.

EDIT: Let me just add that the pj on the 93 is just awesome...the matte black with dark gray graphics looks really sharp in person...the 98 is nice too but the gloss black with chrome graphics isn't quite as striking IMO. If there was ever a racquet I would buy just based on looks alone it would be the Blade 93...lol

atatu 12-28-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7084222)
I've played with both the new Blade 16x19 and the P1 16x19, and my arm hurt after playing with the Wilson, trying to hit with the same pace as my BLX Blade 98; the P1 was just a bit heavy after hitting for 2+ hours at a time, which I frequently do. I wish I would have kept my P1, but I will next try the new Steam (both versions).

Thanks for the reviews guys, I am a P1 user, but looking for something that is a little easier to get around and also something that might have a slightly larger sweetspot. I am looking at the 16x19 Blade and the Steam as well.

Xonemains 12-30-2012 02:31 PM

Hey Yaz!!

When you do have a chance to play with the 18 x 20, could you give more details regarding the control area!! and power level. hhhmmm maybe comfort as well comparing to the P1's.

cheers mate.

ccmtennis 12-31-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 7084059)

Some background:

Thoughts:

Nice review. As a former P1 user as well I agree with a lot of things you liked and disliked bout it. Maneurability is a definite downside of it. I would also recommend that you try the dunlop 3.0 tour. Similar 18 x 20 pattern with the blades but produces much better spin+control and is also more of a dampened and comfortable ride, not unlike any of its predecessors. It just needs a touch of lead tape in the upper hoop and it is good to go

sundaypunch 12-31-2012 07:23 PM

Reviews are right on the money. I demo'd the P1 18x20. Loved the solid feel but it was more sluggish than I like. I ended up buying a new Blade 18x20. Added some weight to the handle to make it more HL and it is great.

And I'm also tempted to buy a Blade 93 just for the paint job......

Yaz 01-09-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonemains (Post 7087457)
Hey Yaz!!

When you do have a chance to play with the 18 x 20, could you give more details regarding the control area!! and power level. hhhmmm maybe comfort as well comparing to the P1's.

cheers mate.

Had a chance to play with both Blade 98s and compare with the P1. I gave up on the 93...got tired swinging it around and couldn't get a ball past the service line. Maybe I should hit the weights...lol

I didn't find the B98 16/19 to have much more power than the 18/20, but I was a bit more erratic with it. I found more control and consistent response from the 18/20 with about 95%+ same power level.

Compared with the P1 I felt all three were equally comfortable, with maybe just a slight edge to the Donnay. This could be due to the strings however, since the P1 was strung with kirschbaum PL2, a relatively soft poly at about 55 and the B98 demos were strung tighter with 4G/NXT hybrid.

P1 was clearly the most powerful of the 3. B98 18/20 was the most controllable and predictable. In terms of spin potential I found the P1 to have the most, followed by B98 16/19 and then B98 18/20, but not by a huge margin.

So for now I will be sticking to my P1s...I just love the comfortable pace and spin I'm able to generate with it. Going to play with tensions to try to maximize control. I really liked the B98 18/20 and was tempted to switch, but didn't feel like it would make a huge difference in my game like the P1 did. I may pick up a lightly used one some time down the road and try a few different string setups to see if I can optimize the feel.

quest01 01-09-2013 05:38 PM

I bought the Blade 93 shortly after it was released and I thought it was pretty good. I strung it at mid tension with luxilon alu power and it had a little bit too much control for my taste. I knew what I was getting into with a mid size frame but it had too much control compared to my main racquet the babolat aero pro drive that I just play better overall with. I can hit some really nice drop shots with the Blade and the paintjob looks nice but I don't play my best with it. A lot of my shots land short, and it has this weird floating effect where the ball moves kind of slow through the air, similar to the pro staff 85. I prefer the fast, hard drop trajectory where the ball explodes through the air as with the apdc much more. As I said before, I knew what I was getting into with this racquet so I shouldn't have been surprised.

parasailing 01-09-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7084222)

Maybe it was the string on the Blade 98. I didn't have any issues hitting with the Blade 98 but the Donnay P1, I felt a dull ache in my arm after a couple hours and that was with a multifilament string.

If you have any arm or shoulder issue, I would recommend avoiding poly strings on both racquets. The only racquet I was able to get away with using poly is the Prince EXO3 Tour which is one of softest racquets I have ever hit with that isn't a Head Pro Stock.

Yaz 01-09-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01 (Post 7108855)
I can hit some really nice drop shots with the Blade and the paintjob looks nice but I don't play my best with it. A lot of my shots land short, and it has this weird floating effect where the ball moves kind of slow through the air, similar to the pro staff 85. I prefer the fast, hard drop trajectory where the ball explodes through the air as with the apdc much more. As I said before, I knew what I was getting into with this racquet so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Ha...good description...I had a very similar experience with the 93. Groundies were exactly as you described. One of my hitting partners said it appeared like I was hitting really hard based on my swing and effort, but all the balls were falling short and didn't have much pace.

I agree about the drop shots though, I hit the best (and only) lunging forehand first volley angled drop shot of my life playing dubs with it - heard my opponent say "what the...?" afterwards...lol

quest01 01-13-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 7109126)
Ha...good description...I had a very similar experience with the 93. Groundies were exactly as you described. One of my hitting partners said it appeared like I was hitting really hard based on my swing and effort, but all the balls were falling short and didn't have much pace.

I agree about the drop shots though, I hit the best (and only) lunging forehand first volley angled drop shot of my life playing dubs with it - heard my opponent say "what the...?" afterwards...lol

I know its kind of weird comparing the Wilson Blade 93 to the Babolat APD because there completely different racquets but it really shows. With the Babolat APD I can hit bone crushing ground strokes and serves; I mean I'm talking laser like forehands down the line for winners. However with the Wilson 93 I can hit drop shots that land inches over the net for winners and the ability to hit pin point accuracy on a dime with my ground strokes. It really all boils down to what you want in a racquet.

neverstopplaying 01-14-2013 03:39 AM

I'm considering a switch to the 2013 Blade 18x20 from the P1 16x19.

Hitting with the P1 is sublime - great power, plow through and feel is second to none. As much as I didn't find the weigh too much at first, I had a losing percentage in league play form Sept-Dec and found myself lacking energy at the end of matches. I also find the power a little hard to control. If my footwork gets sloppy (late) or contact point is off a little, the ball sails.

During the 1st outings with the Blade, the lower static weight and increased control of 18x20 are obvious. Mishits result in more shock transfer and some elbow discomfort after matches. I'm hitting heavier balls with the Blade, which surprised me; this is probably due to higher racquet head speed.

It's fairly easy to switch from one to the other as the SWs are similar. I've had 2 great wins with the Blade so far and bought a 2nd. I'm hoping that, as I get more used to it, the discomfort will subside, as my hitting will adjust to the Blade.

JackB1 01-14-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverstopplaying (Post 7118720)

Hitting with the P1 is sublime - great power, plow through and feel is second to none. As much as I didn't find the weigh too much at first, I had a losing percentage in league play form Sept-Dec and found myself lacking energy at the end of matches. I also find the power a little hard to control. If my footwork gets sloppy (late) or contact point is off a little, the ball sails.

During the 1st outings with the Blade, the lower static weight and increased control of 18x20 are obvious. Mishits result in more shock transfer and some elbow discomfort after matches. I'm hitting heavier balls with the Blade, which surprised me; this is probably due to higher racquet head speed.

It's fairly easy to switch from one to the other as the SWs are similar. I've had 2 great wins with the Blade so far and bought a 2nd. I'm hoping that, as I get more used to it, the discomfort will subside, as my hitting will adjust to the Blade.

I found the Blade harder to swing due to the higher swingweight and much more weight in the head. The Blade is just 1 pt headlite and the Pro 1 is 4. That's a pretty substantial difference. Also the Blade felt quite a bit stiffer to me. The Blade is less powerful and thus, more control...especially with the 18x20. I also think the Blade is slightly more of a "players racquet" than the P1. The sweetspot on the P1 seems slightly larger and more forgiving. They are both great racquets for sure and can be real weapons in the right hands.
You can't really go wrong with either. I think the largest distinction between the two is the balance difference.

Yaz 01-14-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverstopplaying (Post 7118720)

What was your string setup with the P1?

I found the same thing with the Blades, but I chalked it up to the demo strings which felt like they were strung in the high 50s. Are you going to adjust your tensions further to see if that softens up some of the shock?

neverstopplaying 01-14-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 7120455)
What was your string setup with the P1?

I found the same thing with the Blades, but I chalked it up to the demo strings which felt like they were strung in the high 50s. Are you going to adjust your tensions further to see if that softens up some of the shock?

I have several P1s. My goto setup is VS team (59) with 4G(54). I have another with 57/52, but it's too powerful - on indoor courts anyway. My last is full poly, which I don't care for with the P1.

I've got a 2nd Blade coming in today, and yes I will probably go even lower, as the power is very controllable. I may try VS team (50), with either 4G or Beast (46) in the crosses.

Like many of us, I've hit with a lot of racquets. There's no way the Blade will ever be as smooth as a P1, but any discomfort may go away as I get more used to hitting with the Blade.

ChicagoJack 01-14-2013 11:12 PM

Hi neverstoppedplaying,

Just wanted to throw this factiod out there since you mentioned arm discomfort. 4G is one of the very best polys for tension maintenance, but also one of the stiffest polys on the market. In fact it ranks #8 stiffest (273 lbs per in.) out of 239 polys tested. I see that you have it crossed with gut mains, but man... there are literally hundreds of better choices out there for arm sensitive peeps like you and me. I can help you narrow the field if you are interested in other options.
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...r/reporter.php

Jack

neverstopplaying 01-14-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJack (Post 7121365)
Hi neverstoppedplaying,

Just wanted to throw this factiod out there since you mentioned arm discomfort. 4G is one of the very best polys for tension maintenance, but also one of the stiffest polys of the market. In fact it ranks #8 stiffest (273 lbs per in.) out of 239 polys tested. I see that you have it crossed with gut mains, but man... there are literally hundreds of better choices out there for arm sensitive peeps like you and me.

Jack

Thanks for the input. I started using 4G with the P1, and zero discomfort. I'm still giving some consideration to the fact that I'm new to a Blade, but yes, I'll give consideration to other gut-poly setups, too. Team/4G hits an amazing ball though.

I think Donnay would probably make a better Blade, but I can also look for other racquet options with similar specs - a leaded Rebel team, Radical, etc. I'm new to the feel of the 18x20 Blade and am enjoying the results.

mimo 01-14-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJack (Post 7121365)
Hi neverstoppedplaying,

Just wanted to throw this factiod out there since you mentioned arm discomfort. 4G is one of the very best polys for tension maintenance, but also one of the stiffest polys on the market. In fact it ranks #8 stiffest (273 lbs per in.) out of 239 polys tested. I see that you have it crossed with gut mains, but man... there are literally hundreds of better choices out there for arm sensitive peeps like you and me. I can help you narrow the field if you are interested in other options.

Jack

hey jack,

i want to string my p1 with 17g cyclone full bed. do you have any experience with this combo and what tension would you recommend for that string?

thanks in advance!

Torres 05-29-2013 01:58 PM

I demoed the Blade 93, Blade 98 16x19, and I also own the P1 16x19.

Blade 93: Demanding stick in that it doesn't help you out with anything at all. Very head light, easy to swing, but very low powered. Very dense pattern, so spin isn't easy to come by. A thin gauge poly is a must. Control was passable but feels like it lacks mass in hoop. Despite its static weight, I'd be looking add some weight in the hoop. The Prestige Mid is vastly superior in every way and a much nicer, more fluid swing IMO, as is the BLX90.

Blade 16x19: I was expecting to like this but came away a bit disappointed with it, in stock form at least. Not impressed by Ampifeel - it makes the racquet more 'direct' feeling but its implementation in this stick made it feel almost brassy, borderline tinny. It's nowhere as comfortable as the previous BLX Blade. Not sure if my one was out of spec, but it felt lighter and less head heavy than the previous version but I still didn't think it swung quite right and suprisingly it wasn't particularly stable. Feels like the whole racquet lacks mass. I would be looking to lead this up in the upper hoop as well as adding some weight in the handle and possibly the throat.

I prefer the P1 16x19 over both, even though its slightly more muted feeling. I've added a bit of lead to the tip of P1 to increase the swingweight and improve stability, as well as some weight to the handle. It's currently around 340g with all the trimmings.