Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   2012? Not Half Bad . . . (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449297)

Cindysphinx 12-28-2012 05:35 PM

2012? Not Half Bad . . .

My 2012 is finished. I played 61 matches (7.5 combo, 4.0 ladies, 8.0 and 7.5 mixed). I won 26 matches for a win percentage of 42%.

Not great, but not horrible for my first year as a 4.0.

Best of all, I have some shiny new tricks in my bag that are helping my cause. I started 2012 as a lobber. It worked like a charm at 3.5, but it wasn't enough to win at 4.0.

So I have added FH and BH slice to my repertoire. I can now hit short slices, emergency slices, and slices because I am losing and don't know what else to do. I am also coming to net more and better, and my overheads have improved.

The goal for 2013: Crack the 50% mark for win percentage, improve my fitness, and come to net calmly and relentlessly.

But enough about me. How was your 2012?? Did you meet any goals, learn any new tricks?

Ronaldo 12-28-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7084261)
My 2012 is finished. I played 61 matches (7.5 combo, 4.0 ladies, 8.0 and 7.5 mixed). I won 26 matches for a win percentage of 42%.

Not great, but not horrible for my first year as a 4.0.

Best of all, I have some shiny new tricks in my bag that are helping my cause. I started 2012 as a lobber. It worked like a charm at 3.5, but it wasn't enough to win at 4.0.

So I have added FH and BH slice to my repertoire. I can now hit short slices, emergency slices, and slices because I am losing and don't know what else to do. I am also coming to net more and better, and my overheads have improved.

The goal for 2013: Crack the 50% mark for win percentage, improve my fitness, and come to net calmly and relentlessly.

But enough about me. How was your 2012?? Did you meet any goals, learn any new tricks?

That's awesome with only 52 weeks this year.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-29-2012 06:42 AM

Nice season Cindy, my 2012 was also good.

I made fitness a priority and lost 40+ pounds. The result was that my on court fitness improved. Results wise I had roughly the same season as 2011 ... played nearly 50 matches between mixed and adult and won almost all of those, but many were more thorough wins than in 2011.

Our team made sectionals again and I was bumped to 4.5 at year end. I hope to do as well at 4.5 as you did at 4.0 Cindy ...

3fees 12-29-2012 06:42 AM

Thanks for sharing

Cindysphinx 12-29-2012 07:50 AM

Dizz, 40 pounds? You go!!

Did you do some crazy new thing, or did you do it the old fashioned way?

Have you played 4.5 already? I played 4.0 for three years before I was bumped up, and I never won many 4.0 matches. This first year at 4.0 could have gone worse, for sure.

My mixed results have been dragging me down, and I have never had anything close to a winning season in 8.0 mixed. I have a shiny new 4.0 guy partner, so hopefully we will do OK.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-29-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7085132)
Dizz, 40 pounds? You go!!

Did you do some crazy new thing, or did you do it the old fashioned way?

Have you played 4.5 already? I played 4.0 for three years before I was bumped up, and I never won many 4.0 matches. This first year at 4.0 could have gone worse, for sure.

My mixed results have been dragging me down, and I have never had anything close to a winning season in 8.0 mixed. I have a shiny new 4.0 guy partner, so hopefully we will do OK.

It started with a weight loss contest last December. Basically eat less, exercise more ... lost a total of 50. However after the Contest was over in May I started being less concerned with food and I put back on a couple pounds over the summer. I need the structure of the work day and being off in the summer is awful for my diet. Since September I have been doing the insanity program ... I have added a good bit of lean muscle mass but have not dropped much weight.

I have played 4.5 over the last 3 years ... but usually the captain has only played me in good matchups. Meaning I was never in against the top flight 4.5s. I managed a winning record at 4.5 but usually this was only 2 or 3 matches a year against cellar dwelling teams. Next year I suspect I will play more in matches that count.

I love, love, love mixed. Before when I was a top tier 4.0 the captains would put me into every single match I could play. Now that I am a bottom tier 4.5 I have been scheduled for exactly 1 match out of the 15 matches the three teams I play on have been scheduled for. Big difference, but I am actually happy that I am not being scheduled as much. Trying to fit in 50 matches a year with a wife and kids does not leave much time for practice.

Mike Y 12-29-2012 10:06 AM

In 2011 as a 4.0 combined in 4.0 Men's, 7.5 Combo, 8.5 Combo, 7.0 Mixed, and 8.0 Mixed I was 26-11 (70%).

In 2012 as a 4.5 combined in 4.5 Men's, 8.5 Combo, 8.0 Mixed, and 9.0 Mixed I was 10-16 (38%).

However, I was a much better player in 2012 than I was in 2011. I probably would have had a winning percentage of 0% if I played my 2012 schedule with my 2011 skills. My fitness was improved (long points in 4.5 singles are much more tiring than long points in 4.0 singles), 2nd serve was improved to be more than basically a "tap", backhand became a strength I can rely on and hit winners with instead of a weakness, volleys because average for my level instead of terrible, and I learned to play more aggressively and make points shorter instead of relying on my speed and fitness to outlast people (that doesn't work at 4.5 singles most of the time).

I too hope and plan on having a winning record next year. I plan on working on my serve more and improving my forehand this year. I worked on my backhand so much that I missed my forehand when going for winners a little too often for my tastes.

johndagolfer 12-29-2012 10:43 AM

in 2011 I was 25 and 4 (men's mixed and combo)
2012 I was 4 and 0 after getting bumped, but then got injured pretty badly and couldn't play the rest of the year.

My goal this year is to get back to my college weight (35 ish pounds more. Probably will only lose 20ish if I keep my current weight loss curve) and try to play the majority of my matches as singles with a winning record.

Cindysphinx 12-29-2012 11:14 AM

Dizz, that''s interesting that you like mixed. How come? Most guys here diss it.

BlueB 12-29-2012 11:30 AM

Very good 2012!

Let's see...

Started the group lessons at a club after 20+ year hiatus... They got me into a 2.0 group (under evaluated, for obvious club reasons, but I was fine with it). Advanced quickly through 2.5 to 3.0 groups.
Now I win most of the 3.5 pro-set matches...

Winning percentage for the year, about 80%, agains all sorts of opponents. Mostly singles, except during the summer.

Broke my hip (ski racing) in March. By the end of April I was already on the court, practicing the serves. Couldn't quite walk, never mind run, yet. I was able to run by June. Back on skis/snowboard in late November. 95% recovered by now.

Serve sky-rocketed since the hip incident. My coach mostly can not return it when I'm in the zone :D

Played a lot on clay, on summer holidays in Europe. I hate the dirt, but it's a good for a change.

Learned whole lot about racquet customization. Thanks TT!

Bought my own stringer and learned to string. Lots of experiments since. I'm getting to know what works for me.

Life is good. :)

Doubles 12-29-2012 11:32 AM

I played an open tournament this past weekend and didn't win a single game playing current, and former D-1 college players. It was a humbling experience to say the least, but I've already developed a fitness plan and intend on playing more open events next year.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-29-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7085382)
Dizz, that''s interesting that you like mixed. How come? Most guys here diss it.

I dont know why. I enjoy having competitive women on the court. They are different than men so the change is nice. Also, I tend to let the women play rather than trying to take every ball.

As it happens I tend to dominate the point once I touch the ball, but I let the women play traditional doubles until there is a ball I can take over on.

This worked well when I was a 4.0 because I was able to play with better women. I will let you know how it works out at 4.5 once they start letting me play.

v-verb 12-29-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 7085406)
Let's see...

Started the group lessons at a club after 20+ year hiatus... They got me into a 2.0 group (under evaluated, for obvious club reasons, but I was fine with it). Advanced quickly through 2.5 to 3.0 groups.
Now I win most of the 3.5 pro-set matches...

Winning percentage for the year, about 80%, agains all sorts of opponents. Mostly singles, except during the summer.

Broke my hip (ski racing) in March. By the end of April I was already on the court, practicing the serves. Couldn't quite walk, never mind run, yet. I was able to run by June. Back on skis/snowboard in late November. 95% recovered by now.

Serve sky-rocketed since the hip incident. My coach mostly can not return it when I'm in the zone :D

Played a lot on clay, on summer holidays in Europe. I hate the dirt, but it's a good for a change.

Learned whole lot about racquet customization. Thanks TT!

Bought my own stringer and learned to string. Lots of experiments since. I'm getting to know what works for me.

Life is good. :)

Sweet! except for the break...

What did you do differently to improve your serve?

Maui19 12-29-2012 01:05 PM

2012 was pretty good. I got a lot better, although I didn't get bumped up. I was 4-3 at 4.0, 7-1 at 7.5 Combo (including 2-1 at states), and 3-1 at 8.0 Mixed. I got invited to play a bunch of (non-league) dubs with 4.0 & 4.5 guys, and 4.5 women, and that has helped me get a lot better. The mixed with 4.5 women is pretty good, but otherwise I don't really care for mixed because it doesn't challenge me the way that playing with harder hitting players does. I have to admit that I really enjoy fasted paced games, and don't really care for tennis that involves a lot of lobs and off pace stuff.

BlueB 12-29-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7085475)
What did you do differently to improve your serve?

Brake the hip, was cruicial ;)
As I couldn't move, the only thing I could practice was serve... 100s and 100s times... Body twist or forward motion was also a no-no, so I focused on tosup, racket motion and accelleration. Pretty decent topspin serve evolved.
As the hip got better (and I grew bored of the slow bouncy seeves), I started tossing that ball forward and really putting the hip/boddy forward, for strong "bow" effect. Flattened the serve too.
In the late summer it somehow fell appart again, especially switching between fast 1st and topspin 2nd. Then it came back with a vengence again, especially the fast 1st.
Somwhere in the process I learned to relax the wrist and alow the frame to snap forward.
Latest development is experimenting with gut/poly hybrid in heavier frames. This now requires body coilin/uncoiling too, in order to not pull my shoulder out of the socket. First I sprayed all over the place, but it came together again, now with evil side spin too, when wanted, but maybe a tad slower...
I still prefer my medium weight racquets for serving, though.

Jack the Hack 12-29-2012 02:10 PM

For the good half of 2012, my tennis highlights included:
  • All three of the USTA league teams I played on made it to the local area playoffs.
  • I reached three tournament finals, and won one title.
  • I somehow ended up the year ranked #1 in my USTA Section in my NTRP singles category - for the third time!
For the half bad part, my 2012 lowlights included:
  • I lost a USTA playoff match after having match points, which cost the team the opportunity to advance to Sectionals.
  • I had a goal of reaching #1 in my age group, but I finished #11.
  • I recently realized that I havent spoken to one of my best friends in tennis since April and I blame myself for not reaching out. We had talked about playing in one of the big national tournaments, but I lost my job at the end of the summer, and I never followed up on the plans.
Goals for 2013:
  • I expect that the 18+ and 40+ teams Im captaining to make the local playoffs again, and have a shot at Sectionals.
  • Id like to play a significant role in our teams success by playing more matches, posting a winning record, and coming through in the clutch as Ive done before.
  • Id like to finish in the top 5 in my age group, winning more matches than I did this year.
  • Id like to retain the #1 ranking in my NTRP level (for a 4th year) by winning at least 2 tournaments next year, and posting consistent wins in the others.
  • Id like to reconnect with my tennis buddy and see if there are any tournaments we can play in. I've got a couple in mind.

dlk 12-29-2012 02:15 PM

I played 15 doubles matches - - went 1-14:oops: at 3.5

v-verb 12-29-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 7085607)
Brake the hip, was cruicial ;)
As I couldn't move, the only thing I could practice was serve... 100s and 100s times... Body twist or forward motion was also a no-no, so I focused on tosup, racket motion and accelleration. Pretty decent topspin serve evolved.
As the hip got better (and I grew bored of the slow bouncy seeves), I started tossing that ball forward and really putting the hip/boddy forward, for strong "bow" effect. Flattened the serve too.
In the late summer it somehow fell appart again, especially switching between fast 1st and topspin 2nd. Then it came back with a vengence again, especially the fast 1st.
Somwhere in the process I learned to relax the wrist and alow the frame to snap forward.
Latest development is experimenting with gut/poly hybrid in heavier frames. This now requires body coilin/uncoiling too, in order to not pull my shoulder out of the socket. First I sprayed all over the place, but it came together again, now with evil side spin too, when wanted, but maybe a tad slower...
I still prefer my medium weight racquets for serving, though.

Excellent stuff BlueB! I'll work on it but skip the hip break if you don't mind tho:p:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlk (Post 7085634)

Hey 2012 is almost over - start 2013 fresh!

Cindysphinx 12-29-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlk (Post 7085634)

Awwwwwwww . . .

:: offers dlk a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and a very large spoon ::

Chin up, mate. Next year has to be better. It just has to be.

Ronaldo 12-29-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7085976)
Awwwwwwww . . .

:: offers dlk a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and a very large spoon ::

Chin up, mate. Next year has to be better. It just has to be.

Won one more than I did at 4.0 BITD. Rated down to 3.5 and never lost for three years in our District. Lost at state playoffs all three years.