Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New Years Resolutions for Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449332)

dizzlmcwizzl 12-29-2012 06:52 AM

New Years Resolutions for Tennis

Post your New Years Tennis resolutions for 2013 here. You should tacitly relate it to adult league and tournament tennis so I do not get the snarky, "it does not belong here" reply.

As a newly minted 4.5 I want to:

1) Drop another 20 pound this year so I can play some 40+ singles
2) Play at least 15 league matches between the three teams I am invited to play on.
3) Look like I at least belong on the court with legitimate 4.5's in every match this season.
4) Play in 2 tournies at the 4.5 + level

VeeSe 12-29-2012 07:15 AM

As a new 4.0, I would like to:

1) Make my forehand more of a weapon
2) Get more comfortable serve-volleying
3) Develop the slice as a regular shot in my arsenal
4) Get a stronger second serve
5) Win 80% at the 4.0 level
6) Win ~30% at the 4.5 level

Good luck on your goals, everyone!

OHBH 12-29-2012 07:21 AM

1. Make big improvements in my net game so I can serve and volley more often.
2. Improve speed and explosive power in my legs, ideally I would like to be able to dunk a basketball, right now I can just barely touch the rim.
3. Join multiple leagues

darrinbaker00 12-29-2012 08:41 AM

As a long-time 4.0, I would like to:

1. Drop 20-25 pounds and improve my footwork.
2. Drop 20-25 pounds and improve my footwork.
3. Drop 20-25 pounds and improve my footwork.

If I do those three things, in that order, everything else (winning more matches, moving up a level) should fall into place. ;)

Ess 12-29-2012 08:44 AM

I would like to see Federer play live in an ATP event. Before he retires or I have a kid and cannot afford it financially.

slowfox 12-29-2012 09:48 AM

Play more tournaments. Stop tweaking and shopping for new equipment.

ShoeShiner 12-29-2012 10:27 AM

① Win one-set match with some top-200 professional players in my country.
(I do not know about NTRP levels.)

Cindysphinx 12-29-2012 11:17 AM

Put more bite into my slice.

Continue developing touch shots by attempting one drop shot or drop volley per match.

Improve fitness, 'cause I have become quite slow, even for doubles.

Improve flexibility by stretching every night.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-29-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7085384)
Improve flexibility by stretching every night.

At work we have a group of guys that meet every morning and workout. We all do different stuff and have had varying levels of motivation at times.

In early fall we all agreed that we would do the INSANITY program together. So every morning we would meet and work out together. This has been awesome for motivation. We enjoyed it so much that we went to the wall-market and bought some YOGA and Gillian Michaels DVDs. Now that INSANITY is done we have been doing these ridiculous fitness videos together. We look a little silly sometimes but we are all enjoying the the group stretches the most.

Cindysphinx 12-29-2012 01:04 PM

Ah, the group workout. I've been doing a morning group workout for 13 years now. My motivation wanes at times (like now, when it is cold and dark out), but few things work better long term than group workout situations, IME.

v-verb 12-29-2012 02:42 PM

Good resolutions gang!

For me:

* continue to build my strength
* drop 6 more lbs to hit my 155 lb target (I'm 5'7")
* hone my strokes to be as efficient as possible
* improve my topspin fh and bh
* learn to play doubles better - court positioning etc
* crack 100 mph on my first serve consistently (fat chance I know but it's a goal)

3fees 12-29-2012 06:02 PM

$ Be more serious

:mrgreen:

OrangePower 12-29-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 (Post 7085198)
As a long-time 4.0, I would like to:

1. Drop 20-25 pounds and improve my footwork.
2. Drop 20-25 pounds and improve my footwork.
3. Drop 20-25 pounds and improve my footwork.

If I do those three things, in that order, everything else (winning more matches, moving up a level) should fall into place. ;)

Amen to that. Middle of the road 4.5 here. It all starts and ends with footwork, especially for singles.

Larrysümmers 12-29-2012 10:25 PM

i dont really know. now that i dont have a normal routine, ie doing something from 8-4 daily, i kinda lost my motivation to play. when tennis was something to look forward to after a long day, or on a free day, it is so much more fun

cknobman 12-30-2012 06:25 AM

1. Stay mentally focused for the entire match
  2. Improve my net game
  3. Incorporate more serve and volley into my game (largely dependent on how well I can improve my net game)

Angle Queen 12-30-2012 07:36 AM

For 2013, I resolve to:
  1. Play less "organized"/USTA tennis and focus on self-arranged play. I'm, momentarily, tired of the fees, politics and pressure. I will not play in the new 40+ division and will not captain the Combo ladies team I've done for the past 2 years (unless they significantly change the logistics).
  2. Refocus on doubles play (after spending the past ~18 mos working on my singles game. Not gonna give up entirely on the Singles Adventure but I realize I much more enjoy doubles from both the social and skills perspective. I want to, once again, make myself the person people call when they need a "4th".
  3. Somehow (not quite sure how)...get my longtime dubs partner up to 4.0 with me. Sure she can (and will) play "up" with me, but there are a few local things we now cannot do together. Besides, she is deserving. She is my "setup man," and her health issues aside from the past 2 years, I'm sure she'd already be a 4.0 with me. She just needs one solid season to push her over the edge.
  4. Now, from the skillset/toolbox set, I need a serve "out wide." Mostly for that diminishing singles game but a nice variety to have in doubles (if properly scripted with my partner)
  5. Be even more aggressive on the poach.
  6. Make my OH feared...so much so, that they won't lob (not that they do it much at 4.0 anyway).
  7. Finally, find the FUN again in the game. Worry less about the score and concentrate on what's fun (and what's working that day). Carry a 10-spot in my bag to go out for drinks/apps afterwards and make sure childcare can cover that "extra" time.

2013 will be a transition year for me personally. My youngest child will begin Kindergarten in the Fall and that will begin a full week of daytime playing opportunities that I've never had before.

I am thankful the area I live in has plenty of terrific women to play with during the weekday.
I am thankful, at my age, to be able to play, at all.
I am thankful to be....alive!

Cindysphinx 12-30-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angle Queen (Post 7086633)
For 2013, I resolve to:
  1. Make my OH feared...so much so, that they won't lob (not that they do it much at 4.0 anyway).

If anything, my first year at 4.0 has taught me the overhead is absolutely crucial because 4.0s lob way more than I expected. They probably lob a bit less often than 3.5s, but they lob much, much better. And because they lob when you are two up, it is a winner unless someone takes it out of the air.

In our clinics, we have been working on OHs like never before. Now that we all know how to get to net, we are being lobbed to death in matches. We lack the power to crush an OH hard enough to put a crater in the court, so we have been focusing on using the OH to open the court (aiming for one of the alleys) and then finishing up the middle.

YMMV, of course.

Maui19 12-30-2012 04:06 PM

1. Make my volley technique less horrific.

2. Greatly reduce the wear and tear on my racquet frames by accomplishing goal #1.

3. Focus on playing more with players who like to hit the snot out of the ball.

4. Be more appreciative of the dudes/dudettes who captain the teams I play on.

thejackal 12-30-2012 04:28 PM

Win enough open level tournaments to get a top-100 provincial ranking

Should be doable if I hit ten baskets a day like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3guPtMYvUs

Angle Queen 12-30-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7087632)
If anything, my first year at 4.0 has taught me the overhead is absolutely crucial because 4.0s lob way more than I expected. They probably lob a bit less often than 3.5s, but they lob much, much better. And because they lob when you are two up, it is a winner unless someone takes it out of the air.

In our clinics, we have been working on OHs like never before. Now that we all know how to get to net, we are being lobbed to death in matches. We lack the power to crush an OH hard enough to put a crater in the court, so we have been focusing on using the OH to open the court (aiming for one of the alleys) and then finishing up the middle.

YMMV, of course.

4.0 lobs are indeed better than at 3.5...just like just about every element. I'm way too tiny to ever have a crushing overhead (or anything else for that matter) so I''ve always worked on placement -- mostly angling them off or (shhhhhh) at my opponent's feet (I feel really bad when my placement on that one is off). Luckily, the better opponents usually don't take offense...just realize their own lob wasn't that good :P

Still, I find a lot fewer lob attempts the higher the ladder I climb.