Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Achilles Bursitis -- Shoes and Orthotics (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449352)

Raul_SJ 12-29-2012 11:31 AM

Achilles Bursitis -- Shoes and Orthotics

Achilles bursitis, also known as retrocalcaneal bursitis, is a common overuse injury in runners, hockey players, football player and many other athletes. Improper shoe gear and too much, too soon, too fast syndrome are usually the cause of this pain in the heel. It can also be seen in non-athletes who wear poor shoe gear or low cut shoes. Often it is seen in people with rigid, high arched feet.

Bursitis is a painful swelling that occurs in the back of the heel just deep to the Achilles tendon insertion on the heel bone. This inflammation makes it painful to squat, lunge or run uphill. Many shoes press on this area and make the pain worse. Even running on uneven or soft surfaces can increase the inflammation.

First line therapy for Achilles bursitis is rest, ice, heel lifts or heel cups and gentle stretching
I have been diagnosed with Achilles Bursitis of the right heel.

There is no issue with the Plantar Fascitis or Achilles Tendonitis -- just inflammation of the bursa at the point where the Achilles tendon inserts into the back of the heel bone.

Should I wear the Dr. Scholl's heel cups?

What type of tennis shoes are best? I have tried tennis shoes with higher heels but don't feel they give any more support. The lower heel shoes feel more comfortable.

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-29-2012 03:06 PM

I think I may have similar problems as you too?

I don't think there's anything wrong with my achilles or foot in general, as in there's no loss in explosiveness. But it hurts like hell after I've shut down. I come home to a meticulous icing routine and it's fine the next day. But once I play and shut down, it hurts like a mofo.

I got sick of it so I decided to rest it for a few weeks.

Raul_SJ 01-01-2013 01:28 PM

Maybe you can try different shoes or Dr. Scholl heel cushions.

mikeler 01-01-2013 01:42 PM

I wear the Dr Scholls Sport inserts and the Thorlo thick socks. I'll still get pain every now and then in the Achilles but nothing too bad.

mctennis 01-01-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul_SJ (Post 7085410)
[indent]
What type of tennis shoes are best? I have tried tennis shoes with higher heels but don't feel they give any more support. The lower heel shoes feel more comfortable.

I had the same issue with my heel. I found out I had a bone 'bump" at the back of my heel. Probably caused by my style of work boots I've worn for 36 years. I switched to a different boot for barn use. That seems to hit the area just enough to cause the inflammation to be unbearable. It caused the achilles pain. I use Nike shoes with a lower heels to them. Also, the had me buy a gel stocking to wear. It is like a half footie with gel on the back part of the heel and goes up to protect the achilles area. You wear it under your sock. It worked after a month of wearing it all the time I was wearing any type of shoe. I have had no pain since I did that. I thought I was going to have to give up tennis it hurt so badly. Dragging my foot around and limping constantly. I tried the ice/rest/Motrin without success. That's when I went to the ortho physician and he did x-rays. He felt the bump at the back of my foot but he wanted to see just if that was the only issue. If that sock didn't work he would have to open the heel area up and grind that heel bump off. Ouch!!

christo 01-01-2013 09:10 PM

I had achilles tendinitis so bad I was ready to quit tennis. My podiatrist tried many solutions, nothing worked. My achilles tendons looked like sausages even with ice and advil. I had many pairs of Nike Vapors and Ballistecs, even BF II's.
A friend of mine said I should try ASICS, that they were very comfy. So I bought a pair of Gel Resolution 4's. 3 weeks later my achilles were back to normal. I didn't change anything else. It still is hard for me to believe the improvement but I'm not complaining and no I don't work for Asics. I think that the airbags in the Nike's somehow flex and allow my achilles to move abnormally upon contact with the court. Anyhow take it for what it's worth.:)

Vlad_C 01-02-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7085693)
I think I may have similar problems as you too?

I don't think there's anything wrong with my achilles or foot in general, as in there's no loss in explosiveness. But it hurts like hell after I've shut down. I come home to a meticulous icing routine and it's fine the next day. But once I play and shut down, it hurts like a mofo.

I got sick of it so I decided to rest it for a few weeks.

I've had the same problem for almost 6 months now. During the summer, I kept playing through the pain, and only made it worse and delayed the recovery.
I have not played for 3 month now due to the weather, and only now my foot feels like is starting to come back to a normal pain free state. I will not play for another 4 months, hopefully I'll recover fully by summer.

I also tried every insole I could find, and most of them did not help much. Many of them actually made it worse. The only two insoles that helped somewhat were one that had a ridiculous amount of foam cushioning, and a second one that had an adjustable arch strike point.
Dress leather shoes with hard outsoles and poor arch support are also a big no-no.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-02-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad_C (Post 7091992)
I've had the same problem for almost 6 months now. During the summer, I kept playing through the pain, and only made it worse and delayed the recovery.
I have not played for 3 month now due to the weather, and only now my foot feels like is starting to come back to a normal pain free state. I will not play for another 4 months, hopefully I'll recover fully by summer.

I also tried every insole I could find, and most of them did not help much. Many of them actually made it worse. The only two insoles that helped somewhat were one that had a ridiculous amount of foam cushioning, and a second one that had an adjustable arch strike point.
Dress leather shoes with hard outsoles and poor arch support are also a big no-no.

Well, it doesn't affect my performance at all. Like I said in a post earlier, I have not lost any explosiveness/stamina, and it actually doesn't bother me when I play.

It's when I shut it down for the day, that's when the pain creeps up on. Maybe it has something to do with my recent extended use of shoes with a small heel?

Regardless, I've decided to rest for a few weeks. December has been a wash weather wise. I'll take January off to sort of cleanse the mind too. I do get the sense that if I don't rest it, it will eventually eat into my explosiveness.

Raul_SJ 01-02-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7091848)
I had achilles tendinitis so bad I was ready to quit tennis. My podiatrist tried many solutions, nothing worked. My achilles tendons looked like sausages even with ice and advil. I had many pairs of Nike Vapors and Ballistecs, even BF II's.
A friend of mine said I should try ASICS, that they were very comfy. So I bought a pair of Gel Resolution 4's. 3 weeks later my achilles were back to normal. I didn't change anything else. It still is hard for me to believe the improvement but I'm not complaining and no I don't work for Asics. I think that the airbags in the Nike's somehow flex and allow my achilles to move abnormally upon contact with the court. Anyhow take it for what it's worth.:)

I don't have pain in the Achilles Tendon (known as "Achilles Tendonitis" -- just pain at the back of the heel bone where the Achilles Tendon inserts into the heel bone.

This is called "Achilles Bursitis" or "Retro-calcaneal Bursitis" -- inflammation of the bursa.

Achilles Bursitis is often associated with Achilles Tendonitis but so far I have not experienced that...

I am also trying calf raises to strengthen the calf muscles.

mikeler 01-03-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul_SJ (Post 7093338)
I don't have pain in the Achilles Tendon (known as "Achilles Tendonitis" -- just pain at the back of the heel bone where the Achilles Tendon inserts into the heel bone.

This is called "Achilles Bursitis" or "Retro-calcaneal Bursitis" -- inflammation of the bursa.

Achilles Bursitis is often associated with Achilles Tendonitis but so far I have not experienced that...

I am also trying calf raises to strengthen the calf muscles.

Calf raises definitely help me.