Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Short video of some forehands (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449374)

tlm 12-29-2012 07:55 PM

Short video of some forehands

Here are a few forehands from practice today, my hitting partner is my wife.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IyFyvHuR74

TomT 12-29-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7086042)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ55yV8kTzs

Thanks for posting. Looks to me like you have a very effective, if maybe somewhat unconventional, forehand. I see lots of potential in your hitting. Post more vids, preferably with the camera positioned behind you.

tlm 12-29-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7086052)
Thanks for posting. Looks to me like you have a very effective, if maybe somewhat unconventional, forehand. I see lots of potential in your hitting. Post more vids, preferably with the camera positioned behind you.

I definitely have a unconventional forehand, it is pretty consistent though. But working on making improvements.

I will have to take some with another partner, my wife told my son the camera man that she does not want to be on the video.

10isfreak 12-29-2012 08:15 PM

Its a great basis to work with and a nice forehand.

Two issues... first off, you do not need to reverse every forehand finish. When the ball is low or that you arent forced to move too much.

Secondly, your preparation. You can do two things early: turn your shoulders and change your grip... you can also move toward the ball obviously. One thing that you cannot do is bring the racket back, split both hands and wait. Pros always keep both hands on the racket until they are ready to commit to swinging... once they split hands, its all the way to the ball.

Obviously, you seem to have a nice overall swing. Fixing these small details could be quick and it would bring your game up a notch. Changing the preparation would improve your consistency and power, while using different finishes would grant you with more options.

tlm 12-29-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10isfreak (Post 7086062)
Its a great basis to work with and a nice forehand.

Two issues... first off, you do not need to reverse every forehand finish. When the ball is low or that you arent forced to move too much.

Secondly, your preparation. You can do two things early: turn your shoulders and change your grip... you can also move toward the ball obviously. One thing that you cannot do is bring the racket back, split both hands and wait. Pros always keep both hands on the racket until they are ready to commit to swinging... once they split hands, its all the way to the ball.

Obviously, you seem to have a nice overall swing. Fixing these small details could be quick and it would bring your game up a notch. Changing the preparation would improve your consistency and power, while using different finishes would grant you with more options.

Thanks for the tips, I used to use more of a WW finish most of the time but now I have been using a lot more reverse forehand finishes for some reason, it is not intentional. If you notice on a few of them that I attack some they have more of a WW finish, but for some reason on most shots I use a reverse.

Cheetah 12-29-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

well that was weird. haha. no, not your strokes. i mean ....
is that you?? you look 20 years younger or something.
and your footwork is better than i remember. wth? i thought i remember
you as being not so mobile and absolutely no split steps at all. also you used to look more top heavy. no? now you look more balanced.
also your strokes look more solid than before. solid as in consistent w/ better control. your strokes are still... unique... but looks better than before. you're moving quite well there. were you injured before or something? looks totally different.

gotta learn to change your grip quickly for that fh slice.
i'd hold the racquet w/ 2 hands longer if i were you for better control, balance and shoulder turn.
left arm is still out of the picture but i ges it works for you w/ the way you swing.

tlm 12-29-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7086071)
well that was weird. haha. no, not your strokes. i mean ....
is that you?? you look 20 years younger or something.
and your footwork is better than i remember. wth? i thought i remember
you as being not so mobile and absolutely no split steps at all. also you used to look more top heavy. no? now you look more balanced.
also your strokes look more solid than before. solid as in consistent w/ better control. your strokes are still... unique... but looks better than before. you're moving quite well there. were you injured before or something? looks totally different.

gotta learn to change your grip quickly for that fh slice.
i'd hold the racquet w/ 2 hands longer if i were you for better control, balance and shoulder turn.
left arm is still out of the picture but i ges it works for you w/ the way you swing.

Thanks Cheetah, ya that is me took that vid today. The last vid I posted was in the summer and I was actually a few pounds lighter then. Also the last vids I posted was hitting with the ball machine, and as weird as it sounds I don't hit or move as good with the ball machine.

I play and move better in a rally. Plus my movement has always been pretty good but not with the machine. Although I know I am not very good I thought I was a little better than you gave me credit for in the last video I posted.

I do like your tips, you are right have to change the grip quicker and hold the racket with 2 hands longer.

Cheetah 12-29-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7086098)
Thanks Cheetah, ya that is me took that vid today. The last vid I posted was in the summer and I was actually a few pounds lighter then. Also the last vids I posted was hitting with the ball machine, and as weird as it sounds I don't hit or move as good with the ball machine.

I play and move better in a rally. Plus my movement has always been pretty good but not with the machine. Although I know I am not very good I thought I was a little better than you gave me credit for in the last video I posted.

I do like your tips, you are right have to change the grip quicker and hold the racket with 2 hands longer.

rock on.

What do you do for high fh's?

tlm 12-29-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7086113)
rock on.

What do you do for high fh's?

Actually I like the ball up high, my wife hits a low ball which is not high enough for what I prefer. On high forehands I WW across them which seems to work pretty well.

tlm 12-30-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

I will have to get some video of playing some points instead of just rallying like the above to see how much difference there is.

Power Player 12-30-2012 10:16 AM

You are falling backwards. I think that is a footwork thing and your left hand is not involved at all in the shot. Real interesting forehand. It looks like you are working too hard or maybe your wife is just awesome at tennis. Not sure since I can't see that angle. If you do take lessons make the pro teach you footwork drills. It should save you some energy out there.

tlm 12-30-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7086882)
You are falling backwards. I think that is a footwork thing and your left hand is not involved at all in the shot. Real interesting forehand. It looks like you are working too hard or maybe your wife is just awesome at tennis. Not sure since I can't see that angle. If you do take lessons make the pro teach you footwork drills. It should save you some energy out there.

You make some good points PP, I think I pull back to much and I definitely need some footwork drills. I do use to much energy and my wife is pretty good but I think it is more of my bad footwork that in turn makes me work harder than I should.

slowfox 12-30-2012 12:21 PM

I would tell you what I often have to remind myself - relax more. And interesting buggy whip forehand finish, I'm curious what it feels like to be on the receiving end of that. Do your opponents find it creates a heavier ball that way?

Power Player 12-30-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7087150)
I would tell you what I often have to remind myself - relax more. And interesting buggy whip forehand finish, I'm curious what it feels like to be on the receiving end of that. Do your opponents find it creates a heavier ball that way?

I am willing to bet its a spinnier ball, but he is not hitting through the ball so there will be more kick than heaviness.

Just fixing the footwork and balance will change a lot. The balance is way off and if he can fix that I think there will be less UEs, less effort, and a lot of things may sort themselves out.

tlm 12-30-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7087150)

As PP pointed out it is more spinny than heavy but it does kick up pretty high and fast. Your suggestion of trying to relax more is very true, I try to muscle the ball to much.

dominikk1985 12-30-2012 03:24 PM

whether you use WW or reverse is not a big difference. kvitova also used the reverse all the time and of course nadal does.

but even with the reverse you need to use the body more. you are arming the ball.

just watch nadal, he uses his body like a whip. his body rotates hard and then like the handle of a whip stops and he finishes just with the arm whipping through. this is why he generates so much RHS. he doesn't pull the racket through by using body rotation (which is better than arming but still not high level) but uses the rotation to create stretch and then release it by stopping the rotation and using the whip effect.

you arm the ball more. the striking is good and you produce some nice spin. your footwork needs to improve though, you are not getting really into the corners. you not only lack the footwork but also actual speed as you are often very late. so do some short lateral sprints too as well as footwork drills.

TheCheese 12-30-2012 03:25 PM

All you've gotta add is a huge grunt and we've got a rec level Nadal in the making!

Looks pretty effective, I'm sure you get good spin.

Graphiteking 12-30-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Look at your follow through at 31 sec in the vid. That is the correct way to hit the ball. Across the body.

tlm 12-30-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7087595)
whether you use WW or reverse is not a big difference. kvitova also used the reverse all the time and of course nadal does.

but even with the reverse you need to use the body more. you are arming the ball.

just watch nadal, he uses his body like a whip. his body rotates hard and then like the handle of a whip stops and he finishes just with the arm whipping through. this is why he generates so much RHS. he doesn't pull the racket through by using body rotation (which is better than arming but still not high level) but uses the rotation to create stretch and then release it by stopping the rotation and using the whip effect.

you arm the ball more. the striking is good and you produce some nice spin. your footwork needs to improve though, you are not getting really into the corners. you not only lack the footwork but also actual speed as you are often very late. so do some short lateral sprints too as well as footwork drills.

Good points definitely using to much arm not enough body rotation. I do need to improve the footwork also. What do you mean by I am not really getting into the corners?

MethodTennis 12-30-2012 03:46 PM

There is quite a few things to work on, and will probably take a long time to fix much of what you do wrong. The shot is all arm, and even at the the arm doesnt bring the racekt through the ball just up the back of it. Ideally the racket should finish on the oposite side of the body on every shot.

You should probably try to look at exagerating the shoulder turn or unit turn as in your previous video it is usually when you are square to the court the racket goes straight back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9IyqMZ5yQ look at the FHs at 0:16 and 0:57, thats what you should be aiming to do on every ball. You'll probably notice that even when you get the unit turn on some of the shots in your video that the racket finishes pretty much above your head, (0:44) however it is far better than the shots where the shoulder turn really lacks (1:00 and 1:03)

When the top players reverse the forehand the racket actually comes across the body first and it is the racket head speed which brings it back to the dominant shoulder. They do not force it over and it is mearly a side affect ofhow fast they are swinging through (crucially not up, like yourself) the ball.

Have fun