Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pacific Tough Gut/Babolat Nvy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449379)

Steve Huff 12-29-2012 11:22 PM

Pacific Tough Gut/Babolat Nvy
 
Just strung my ki 5 with Pacific Tough Gut 16 (M) and Babolat Nvy 16 (C) at 62#cp. Thought I was going to get to play tomorrow, but couldn't get anyone to play. Will have to wait til next Friday. The Babolat is very smooth, elasticity is similar to most synthetics, and its really easy to install. The Pacific went in well too. Can't wait to see if the Babolat meets the expectations set by Shock Shield.

dancraig 12-30-2012 01:23 AM

Hello Steve: Happy New Year

SteveI 12-30-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7086150)
Just strung my ki 5 with Pacific Tough Gut 16 (M) and Babolat Nvy 16 (C) at 62#cp. Thought I was going to get to play tomorrow, but couldn't get anyone to play. Will have to wait til next Friday. The Babolat is very smooth, elasticity is similar to most synthetics, and its really easy to install. The Pacific went in well too. Can't wait to see if the Babolat meets the expectations set by Shock Shield.

Happy New Year Steve. What time did would like to play.. I will fly in...:-)

Steve Huff 12-30-2012 05:50 AM

A great New Year to you too. 10:30. Steve, are you still using the old 5g?

mikeler 12-30-2012 06:09 AM

I want video if we have a Steve Squared face off. :)

slowfox 12-30-2012 07:49 AM

I'd be interested in your playtest results. I normally do Pac Classic 16L mains with PSGO crosses. Been thinking about Tough Gut and other synthetics lately as I'm looking for a slightly crisper stringbed. Thanks.

Steve Huff 12-31-2012 09:21 AM

Just played a few sets and I must say, the Babolat Nvy is a very soft feeling string with a very muted feel. It played like many synthetics, but it seemed to have a lack of any feel, especially on touch shots. It felt better when I took a full cut at the ball. At no time did it play bad, it just felt soft and muted.

SteveI 12-31-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7086429)
A great New Year to you too. 10:30. Steve, are you still using the old 5g?

Hi Steve,

Still have 2 of the 5Gs. I am logging hours on the Dunlop Bio 400 Tours. You might want to give one of those a go if you can get your hands on one. I am playing it mostly stock with just a small bit of lead at 10 and 2. Racket is great....very close to the spec of the 5G. Easy to mod since it has the nice trap door. Some have reported that lead tape does not stick well to the bio line. Have not seen that. I would love to get my hands on some Pacific Tough Gut. I have so much string.. I really have to get busy stringing...

I am sure Steve Huff can take me....I know his tennis backround :-). Would love to get a hit in with him someday. One of the greats on Talk Tennis!!!

Have a great day... I have my eye on the new Dunlop Ice Poly. $65.00 bucks a reel. BTW.. Steve...if you are looking for a great deal on Dunlop Black Widow.. check your e-mail :-)

Steve

mad dog1 12-31-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7088928)
Just played a few sets and I must say, the Babolat Nvy is a very soft feeling string with a very muted feel. It played like many synthetics, but it seemed to have a lack of any feel, especially on touch shots. It felt better when I took a full cut at the ball. At no time did it play bad, it just felt soft and muted.

i tried a full bed of N.Vy in the PS85 once and these were my impressions too. very vague feedback from the strings. for some strange reason, N.Vy works good as a cross with poly mains. i wouldn't consider trying it as a cross w/ gut mains though.

Steve Huff 12-31-2012 01:57 PM

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Maybe I'll get up north one of these days. Playing only doubles these days due to bad knees.

Kind of regret putting the N.Vy in with the gut. Have still found that Shock Shield, which is soft too, has been my favorite cross string with gut. It just has a lot of feel, great sound and seems to let you know exactly what the ball is doing.

polytheist 12-31-2012 02:02 PM

try Nvy 17 instead at 2 lbs higher than the gut

I think it plays just fine, but it is a muted setup. But i like mushy.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse