Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Off to Australia- (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449447)

stringwalla 12-30-2012 06:34 PM

Off to Australia-

Not much of a regular poster here, but have enjoyed reading some of the threads. Fun to see the enthusiasm of beginners, as well as the over-analysis from the more experienced hands.

I leave for the Australian Open Tuesday and just wanted to share my excitement. Though I haven't worked Wimbledon or Roland Garros to compare, I do love the tournament and the Aussies passion for tennis. I guess because there's not much else beyond cricket, soccer, and rugby. It's much more a festive atmosphere vs the US Open, which tends to be a little too proper and uppity at times.

Great energy in Melbourne for the tournament. They even have a humongous bigscreen in the center of downtown showing live matches for anyone in the area to sit for hours and watch. As well as 2 bigscreen parks at the facility for ticket holders

Wish us yanks had this much love for the sport-

mmk 12-30-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringwalla (Post 7088031)
Not much of a regular poster here, but have enjoyed reading some of the threads. Fun to see the enthusiasm of beginners, as well as the over-analysis from the more experienced hands.

I leave for the Australian Open Tuesday and just wanted to share my excitement. Though I haven't worked Wimbledon or Roland Garros to compare, I do love the tournament and the Aussies passion for tennis. I guess because there's not much else beyond cricket, soccer, and rugby. It's much more a festive atmosphere vs the US Open, which tends to be a little too proper and uppity at times.

Great energy in Melbourne for the tournament. They even have a humongous bigscreen in the center of downtown showing live matches for anyone in the area to sit for hours and watch. As well as 2 bigscreen parks at the facility for ticket holders

Wish us yanks had this much love for the sport-

No, Aussies are just mad for sports period. They watch old-lady indoor lawn bowling, darts, and netball. But having said that, enjoy your time, I'm jealous.

drakulie 12-30-2012 07:19 PM

have fun!!!!! :)

cluckcluck 12-30-2012 07:53 PM

Knock em dead and keep your knots tight.

struggle 12-31-2012 05:48 AM

slay a few aussie babes while you're at it.

db10s 12-31-2012 06:14 AM

That sounds like a blast! Have fun!

sixone90 01-03-2013 01:55 AM

Can I say hi to you in the stringing room?

aussie 01-03-2013 06:41 PM

Have a good time but watch your budget. Australia is a great place but expensive eg. Macca's Big Mac meal is around $9 AUD compared to about $6 in the USA. That's because hourly wage rates in Aust are very high. Basic waitress wage start at about $18/hour. Good news is tipping is not expected in Aust so don't tip!

Also many goods are imported into Aust (just check out racquet and string prices) so that makes everything so expensive. We don't care because we all get paid so much. Basic jobs pay around $60k a year so we live well. Also, with the Aust dollar buying around $1.04 USD we love to travel to the US - I get over every 2 years and come back loaded with racquets, string, shoes, clothes etc!!

However you will still have a fantastic time as Aussies are very relaxed and friendly and will show you a good time. Aussie

stringwalla 01-09-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixone90 (Post 7094452)
Can I say hi to you in the stringing room?

Sure can. I'm at the machine on the left at the window.

stringwalla 01-09-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie (Post 7096182)
Have a good time but watch your budget. Australia is a great place but expensive

Not my first Aussie open so I'm well aware of the prices. Luckily we get on site food covered.

zapvor 01-09-2013 10:31 PM

very cool! represent!

Lakers4Life 01-09-2013 11:15 PM

Who was the stringer that was stringing Andy's racket during the Aussie Finals? He had curly hair and glasses.

stringwalla 01-10-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7109236)
Who was the stringer that was stringing Andy's racket during the Aussie Finals? He had curly hair and glasses.

Benoit was stringing Andy the last couple of years for RPNY. But I don't think it was him then. Grant Morgan was his personal stringer for a while, but he doesn't wear glasses or have curly hair so , not sure

kkm 01-10-2013 01:24 PM

Todd Mobley strung the on-courts Andy Murray sent during the 2011 final against Djokovic.

stringwalla 01-10-2013 02:46 PM

Yeah sorry, I'm kinda tired and thought you were talking about Roddick years ago. Murray is with P1, so his on courts are handle with us. It was Todd. Hair isn't curly though-

Lakers4Life 01-10-2013 03:01 PM

I recall he was in the on-court stringing room. P1 couldn't string his racket because they were too far, and Andy needed a tension change in the middle of match. They kept showing the stringer on TV, stringing Andy's racket.

I always see a stocky Asian guy in most of the stringing room videos. What's his name?

stringwalla 01-10-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7110800)
I always see a stocky Asian guy in most of the stringing room videos. What's his name?

That would be Tadashi Hosoya (aka Spikey). He's a grizzled veteran of tour stringing from Japan.

zapvor 01-10-2013 05:08 PM

yea but we got stringwalla aka the walla stringmeister from america

Oz_Rocket 01-10-2013 10:25 PM

Looks like I'll be there on Tuesday with my two boys. Will drop by and say hello. I've just started stringing for my eldest boy so he is currently fascinated with all things string.

bosssauce 01-21-2013 10:31 AM

Post pictures