Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Home made Racquet holder (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449462)

lwto 12-30-2012 11:13 PM

Home made Racquet holder

[IMG][/IMG]

Paint is ugly, but it worked out really well.

I used PVC piping from HDepot, cut them to size fitted them with T-connectors and a couple of elbows.

Cost less than 16 dollars and works really well.

I used some old grips and taped them a long the top so the racquets wouldn't torque and drop.

Rabbit 12-31-2012 05:01 AM

that is a great idea

treblings 12-31-2012 05:13 AM

what a great and well-timed post. i was just thinking about how to organize my racquets:)all 500+ of them

struggle 12-31-2012 05:42 AM

post up the instructions/dimensions. Looks like 1 inch pipe?
I'll huff some pvc glue, no problem.

looks nice and easy enough, but is there anything you might change?

db10s 12-31-2012 06:17 AM

Put wheels on it... Attach a dog leash to it and show up to matches with one in tow... :lol:

Chotobaka 12-31-2012 07:14 AM

Very nice job, man. Well done.

lwto 12-31-2012 09:37 AM

Thanks..
Yes it was 1 inch pvc.

Anything I would change?

after completion, I was thinking I could put another layer to create a shelf of sorts.. maybe for strings, accessories. you could put a shelf board on.l

Yeah, the one thing that had a problem was the racquets torquing, but I kind of solved that with the grips across the top. It had enough tackiness to stop the racquet from sliding.

My other thought was to have the top bars a series of 'T" fittings accross it down the length of the holder, there by having a natural stop of Torquing. I kind of dismissed that as I wanted the racquet to be able to slide.

But thanks.. appreciate the input.

I have a lot of tennis shoes.. I thought this would be a perfect idea for your tennis shoe.. shoe rack.

Faithfulfather 12-31-2012 01:04 PM

Great job. I want one!

mad dog1 12-31-2012 01:09 PM

you could cut notches into the top PVC rails to stop the torquing/sliding. each racquet would have a 'slot'. obviously with this method, you wouldn't be able to freely slide the racquets back and forth.

coachrick 12-31-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7089346)
you could cut notches into the top PVC rails to stop the torquing/sliding. each racquet would have a 'slot'. obviously with this method, you wouldn't be able to freely slide the racquets back and forth.

For various styles of rackets and for long term storage, I'd stick with some sort of 'padding'. Care should be taken not to use anything that will 'stick' to the rackets(if the rackets will be stored long-term, especially). On wood models, for example, a sticky material might grab the trim strings wrapped around the hoop or could actually pull off the lacquer finish. It's less important on metal or graphite rackets or for short term storage, but still a consideration. Some sort of felt would cushion the frames, eliminate sticking and still allow the rackets to slide a bit when needed.

lwto, nice job. Would be great if you had a 'free' source of some of the lengths(scraps, leftovers, etc). Any plumbers in the family or neighborhood? ;)

lwto 12-31-2012 02:09 PM

Well thanks.
The material I think cost less than 15 dollars I think so it wouldn't put you out much.
I just got like 8 pieces of pre cut 3' tubbing
a bag of t's and elbows.

I didn't even glue it.

you will notice if you look carefully, the base width is probably about and inch and a half wider than the top.

I used the same cut outs for the cross pieces but just jammed the top cross holds into the elbows further.

Lakers4Life 12-31-2012 02:33 PM

Here is thread on this subject. Too bad the pictures have been taken down. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...90#post3542890

I've always wanted a folding racket stand with a Babolat logo, but they won't sell me one. According to the Babolat Rep, they only give them to account holder clients.

lwto 12-31-2012 02:40 PM

Thanks Lakers.. no pic what the point?

zapvor 12-31-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7088614)
what a great and well-timed post. i was just thinking about how to organize my racquets:)all 500+ of them

you have 500+ rackets?????????

Lakers4Life 12-31-2012 05:21 PM

I met a guy that had about 500 classic rackets. They were stuffed in all kinds of drawers and hanging about in his garage.

Chotobaka 12-31-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7089462)
Here is thread on this subject. Too bad the pictures have been taken down. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...90#post3542890

I've always wanted a folding racket stand with a Babolat logo, but they won't sell me one. According to the Babolat Rep, they only give them to account holder clients.

Do you have a pic of this one? I am trying to picture it in my mind and am coming up blank.

Lakers4Life 12-31-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7089716)
Do you have a pic of this one? I am trying to picture it in my mind and am coming up blank.

It's like a folding TV tray table without the top. I've seen them at a couple of tennis shops. They have Babolat, Head and Wilson logos, but all built the same. If I run into a picture of one, I'll post it.

Chotobaka 12-31-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7089742)
It's like a folding TV tray table without the top. I've seen them at a couple of tennis shops. They have Babolat, Head and Wilson logos, but all built the same. If I run into a picture of one, I'll post it.

Thanks, man. I haven't seen one but get the idea now.

zapvor 01-01-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7089699)
I met a guy that had about 500 classic rackets. They were stuffed in all kinds of drawers and hanging about in his garage.

what a disgrace. he needs to open a museum and post on here

Steve Huff 01-01-2013 05:21 PM

For padding, use pipe insulation. It's tube-shaped, and has a slit up one side so it fits around a pipe. It's easy to cut to length too.