Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Who would be a good candidate for political office? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449497)

WARPWOODIE 12-31-2012 01:04 PM

Who would be a good candidate for political office?
 
Who among the former ATP/WTA players would be good in politics? My choice would be Andre Agassi. I can see him following in the footsteps of former California Governor Arnold Swarchengger. Arnold got started in politics with an appointment as the Presidential Council on Physical Fitness and Sports in the Reagan Administration. Andre on the other hand is a great proponent for education, having founded his school. Your thoughts on others....

slowfox 01-01-2013 05:52 PM

Isn't Safin in politics now? Memory may be shaky though... (um, my memory, not his).

cluckcluck 01-01-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7091558)
Isn't Safin in politics now? Memory may be shaky though... (um, my memory, not his).

You are correct. I'm not entirely sure what his position is but I know he's working with the government.

I think there's a WTA player who is deeply involved in politics, I can't recall who, but I believe she's an active player.

Bartelby 01-01-2013 06:36 PM

Federer would be a good Eurocrat and MacEnroe would be a good Mayor of New York, but was Arnie ever really in politics?

Choosing a celebrity as a frontman doesn't work too well outside of America where politics is reserved mainly for long term professionals.

pc1 01-02-2013 05:42 AM

In the past I could see Jack Kramer in politics. TIriac would be good in politics if he isn't already.

kiki 01-29-2013 02:01 PM

Alexander,Mottram,Panatta and a few south american players all are into it.Arantxa Sanchez was running for a s eat at her city´s Local Council.

Fred Perry was himself a MP, I think.

kiki 01-29-2013 02:05 PM

Wasn´t Pam Shriver looking for a seat at the Congress?

Tshooter 01-29-2013 09:10 PM

Mottram <---- I remember this scary ******.

kiki 01-29-2013 10:33 PM

From far left to far right:
Panatta,Perry,Mc Enroe,Shriver, Nastase,Alexander,Sanchez Vicario and Buster

Xavier G 01-31-2013 11:05 AM

Buster Mottram would most likely have gone down well with Mosley in the pre-war days.
McEnroe Mayor of New York, I agree.
Tim Henman could do well, looks like a PR bloke!

gavna 01-31-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7178281)
Wasn´t Pam Shriver looking for a seat at the Congress?

She is a Kennedy relative.......she did make some noise about running.

librarysteg 01-31-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7182630)
She is a Kennedy relative.......she did make some noise about running.

Interesting. I never realized she was one of the Kennedy Shrivers...they're everywhere!

gavna 01-31-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 7092222)
In the past I could see Jack Kramer in politics. TIriac would be good in politics if he isn't already.

Tiriac already owns/runs half of the country already - bet he owns all the important politicians as well.

We were in Romania at the end of October.......Tiriac brand is EVERYWHERE! Banks, Petrol Stations, Car Rentals, New Car dealerships.......etc .he's like Coca Cola, Nestlé, HSBC, AVIS and McDonalds all in one.

gavna 01-31-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarysteg (Post 7182639)
Interesting. I never realized she was one of the Kennedy Shrivers...they're everywhere!

Yep Eunice was her aunt I believe and Arnie's ex Maria is her cousin.

President 01-31-2013 12:24 PM

Novak Djokovic is a very good speaker in English (so I imagine he must be even a lot better in Serbian), is a pretty intellectual guy and revered as basically a God in his home country. He could easily be a successful politician in Serbia.

dominikk1985 01-31-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7182644)
Tiriac already owns/runs half of the country already - bet he owns all the important politicians as well.

We were in Romania at the end of October.......Tiriac brand is EVERYWHERE! Banks, Petrol Stations, Car Rentals, New Car dealerships.......etc .he's like Coca Cola, Nestlé, HSBC, AVIS and McDonalds all in one.

Tiriac would make a great dictator:)

Phoenix1983 01-31-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier G (Post 7182578)
McEnroe Mayor of New York, I agree.

+1. He embodies that city, for better or worse.

Mike Bulgakov 01-31-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7091630)
You are correct. I'm not entirely sure what his position is but I know he's working with the government.

I think there's a WTA player who is deeply involved in politics, I can't recall who, but I believe she's an active player.

Safin is in the Duma.




Anna Chakvetadze has a degree in psychology and also ran for the Duma, but did not win.

NLBwell 01-31-2013 04:56 PM

For non-politicians and without knowing their political leanings, I'd say Federer because of his smooth demeanor and Vince Spadea because of his non-smooth demeanor.

kiki 02-01-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARPWOODIE (Post 7089341)
Who among the former ATP/WTA players would be good in politics? My choice would be Andre Agassi. I can see him following in the footsteps of former California Governor Arnold Swarchengger. Arnold got started in politics with an appointment as the Presidential Council on Physical Fitness and Sports in the Reagan Administration. Andre on the other hand is a great proponent for education, having founded his school. Your thoughts on others....

Everything is possible in the States.if Reagan did it, why not Agassi?

but be careful, his ancestors came from...Iran¡¡¡¡


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse