Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tennis in 2033 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449536)

treblings 01-01-2013 04:33 AM

Tennis in 2033

what will it be like?
- courts even slower?
- playerīs height even more important?
- return of serve nīvolley?
- aces at 200mph ?
- material innovations or restrictions?

letīs all look into our personal crystal ball and come up with scenarios:)

thereīs a somewhat serious background to my question. tennis is a beautiful game with many facets and different playing styles.
should we teach our youngsters only todays power topspin game, or is there place for s&v, finesse and touch shots in the future?
are the coaches of today shaping tennis future by only teaching todays pro game?

luvforty 01-01-2013 06:48 AM

imagine you combine all the strength of the current top 10 and put it in 1 player, and double that, you get 2033 tennis.... or genetic engineering makes tennis totally irrelevant.

or - the pro game gets so far removed from the average rec player and it has to reverse course - wooden rackets with 65in maximum head size... (which is what I like to see).

treblings 01-01-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7090230)
imagine you combine all the strength of the current top 10 and put it in 1 player, and double that, you get 2033 tennis.... or genetic engineering makes tennis totally irrelevant.

or - the pro game gets so far removed from the average rec player and it has to reverse course - wooden rackets with 65in maximum head size... (which is what I like to see).

possible scenarios
but wait....the pro game is so far removed from the average rec game already, the futures here already:)

slowfox 01-01-2013 05:18 PM

Technology will change it again. I see racquets like Star Wars light sabers. Players will jet around the court with hovercraft platforms. It will be so fast ! Oh wait, you said 2033 not 3033... haha

luvforty 01-01-2013 05:22 PM

eventually all sports competitions will be irrelevant.. we will become gattaca - only the purest genes are allowed to exist.

Nostradamus 01-01-2013 05:31 PM

players will be 8 foot 3 inches tall and lob will be obsolete

cluckcluck 01-01-2013 05:33 PM

There still won't be any American champions.

Ducker 01-01-2013 05:34 PM

lobs are pretty much already obselete

shazbot 01-01-2013 05:45 PM

I wish tennis was smiliar to Baseball.

Here we are, 2013, with all the modern technology and they are still using wooden baseball bats.

I think at some point they need to stop improving the racquet/string tecnology.

Even golf just made a rule that in a few years those 'hockey stick' like putters can no longer be used.

luvforty 01-01-2013 05:51 PM

i think in both sports, the new equipment benefits the elites far more than the average rec player... the poly string makes a difference in the pros, but only bring injured arms to the recs..

the multi-layer golf balls allow pros to drive 300+ years, but the recs still average 200.

but - I think the commercial side will not allow wooden rackets or persimmon drivers to return... because it's hard to justify selling a piece of lumber for $499 (the price of a super duper titanium high MOI driver), or $299 (the all mighty titanium racket).

Head Pegger 01-01-2013 11:42 PM

Most likely will have even more spin involved in the game
I don't see rackets changing dramatically but new string will probably be better. :shock:
All I want is for Hawkeye to be installed EVERYWHERE!:)

treblings 01-01-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Pegger (Post 7091967)
Most likely will have even more spin involved in the game
I don't see rackets changing dramatically but new string will probably be better. :shock:
All I want is for Hawkeye to be installed EVERYWHERE!:)

arm-friendly polys:)
we actually have people in our club calling out for a hawkeye decision right now in 2013:)

TomT 01-01-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7090230)
... the pro game gets so far removed from the average rec player and it has to reverse course - wooden rackets with 65in maximum head size... (which is what I like to see).

I like this idea a lot. :) Would be very interesting to see what sort of tennis it produces.

treblings 01-02-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7091975)
I like this idea a lot. :) Would be very interesting to see what sort of tennis it produces.

would you like to see that only in the pro game, or with patzers(sorry, borrowed that expression from another post of yours:)) like ourselves as well

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-02-2013 01:04 AM

The Hawaiian grip will return in the year 2033.

TomT 01-02-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7091981)
would you like to see that only in the pro game, or with patzers(sorry, borrowed that expression from another post of yours:)) like ourselves as well

Yeah, I used to play a lot of chess. Patzer refers to more or less perpetually bad, very amateurish, chess players. It can be used to refer to more or less perpetually bad, very amateurish, tennis players as well ... I guess.

TomT 01-02-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7091981)

To answer your question, I learned to play with a 65 sq. in. wooden racquet. Served about 20 mph faster (about 105 mph) than I'm now able to with modern racquet (about 85 mph average). More reliable shots, etc. Much higher competitive level in those days. But I was 27 years old then. Didn't play for about 37 years. 37 years! Now I'm 65. :) Just got back into tennis this year. Big difference from the old game. Different game. But it truly is a game for life, I think. Am adjusting to the newer racquets. My hope is to get back to at least a solid 3.5 level of play.

treblings 01-02-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7092022)
To answer your question, I learned to play with a 65 sq. in. wooden racquet. Served about 20 mph faster than I'm now able to with modern racquet. More reliable shots, etc. Much higher competitive level. But I was 27 years old then. Didn't play for about 37 years. 37 years! Now I'm 65. :) Big difference. Different game.

sure is a different game, thatīs why i asked. i love playing with wooden racquets even now, but for the majority of people who learned their game with modern racquets it would be extremely difficult to adjust.
37 years is more than the average age of the posters around here:)

TomT 01-02-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7092012)
The Hawaiian grip will return in the year 2033.

What's the Hawaiian grip?

TomT 01-02-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7092025)
sure is a different game, thatīs why i asked. i love playing with wooden racquets even now, but for the majority of people who learned their game with modern racquets it would be extremely difficult to adjust.
37 years is more than the average age of the posters around here:)

:) Yeah. I guess so. Wish I had kept up with it, but couldn't. Now that I'm retired, and in south Florida, can play to my heart's content. Love the game.