Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who would win: 67 Jaguar or 2012 Camaro? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449580)

heycal 01-01-2013 04:11 PM

Who would win: 67 Jaguar or 2012 Camaro?

I know nothing about cars, but have some questions for those who do: which is faster, a 1967 XKE convertible in excellent condition or a 2012 Camaro? Are they similar in performance, or vastly different? Assume typical engines in each, so whatever they come with (nothing souped up). Which handles better? What would happen if a 67 Jaguar was trying to chase down a Camaro through suburban streets?

And how much might a 1967 Jaguar in excellent condition cost?

Bonus question: which is faster, new Dodge Challenger or new Camaro?

Please refrain from too much car mumbo-jumbo in your answers. Remember, I am not a car guy.

gavna 01-01-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 7091207)
I know nothing about cars, but have some questions for those who do: which is faster, a 1967 XKE convertible in excellent condition or a 2012 Camaro? Are they similar in performance, or vastly different? Assume typical engines in each, so whatever they come with (nothing souped up). Which handles better? What would happen if a 67 Jaguar was trying to chase down a Camaro through suburban streets?

Please refrain from too much car mumbo-jumbo in your answers. Remember, I am not a car guy.

If I could keep the damn thing running the 67 Jag is the one to have......greatest looking baby ever (my god and if it came with a 1967 Diana Rigg:):):))

That said a 2012 Camaro would blow the doors off the Jag - Jag had a top speed of maybe 140mph and the current Camaro's have built in limiters keeping the top speed at 155mph.......but folks in car mags have tested them without the electronic limitations and made 175mph easy. That's with the SS package and 426hp v8........I'm sure the ZL1 Camaro with the 580hp engine could hit 200mph +

gavna 01-01-2013 07:10 PM

Oh as for price for a 67 E Type can vary from 20,000 USD all the way to $160,000 depending on condition and sooooo many other factors - condition 1, 2, 3, 4???? Is it a coupe, 2+2 or a rag top? The current average price for an excellent condition 67 XKE is $75,000 USD right now.

krz 01-01-2013 08:51 PM

New cars are almost always faster than old cars.

Grandma's 2013 Camry is pretty much as fast as most of the 90's performance cars.

Mick 01-01-2013 09:25 PM

2012 camaro is faster than 2012 dodge challenger
and 2012 dodge challenger is faster than 1967 Jaguar XKE.

heycal 01-02-2013 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info, fellas. But remember, we are talking about a chase through suburban streets, so top speeds of 100 plus wouldn't matter much. I guess it would be more about pick-up and quickness and handling.

What might the 0-60 be on these two cars?

heycal 01-02-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7091590)
Is it a coupe, 2+2 or a rag top?

What are the differences? I was thinking of the one with two doors and a convertible.

Mister drool 01-02-2013 08:45 AM

Man... i wish i had the money to participate in this discution...

that said, any of those cars you'll get will be the center of attention for a lot of females eyes

but

if you just want speed for the streets, then with 1/6 or less of the cost of those priced cars, get a yamaha r6 and blow them awwwwway

heycal 01-02-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister drool (Post 7092439)
Man... i wish i had the money to participate in this discution...

that said, any of those cars you'll get will be the center of attention for a lot of females eyes

but

if you just want speed for the streets, then with 1/6 or less of the cost of those priced cars, get a yamaha r6 and blow them awwwwway

You can participate in this discussion without money, though an attempt at basic spelling is always appreciated. So is sticking to the question asked -- 67 Jag v. 2012 Camaro -- and not introducing other vehicles into the mix.

Mick 01-02-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 7092420)
Thanks for the info, fellas. But remember, we are talking about a chase through suburban streets, so top speeds of 100 plus wouldn't matter much. I guess it would be more about pick-up and quickness and handling.

What might the 0-60 be on these two cars?

Not sure about the Jaguar but a 70's V-8 ferrari would reach 60 in about 7 seconds when it was new. However it can no longer do that today. I saw a TOP GEAR episode where they tested old exotic cars and they all were much slower today.
So, Jaguar XKE 0-60 time most likely would be over 8 seconds.

a Challenger R/T V-8 would reach 60 in about 5.3 seconds
a Camaro SS V-8 would reach 60 in about 4.7 seconds.

But a Mustang Boss V-8 would beat them all. It would reach 60 in about 4.0 seconds.

Dedans Penthouse 01-02-2013 01:36 PM

The XKE's 0-60 times were never that 'wow' to begin with, between 6.8 sec. and 7.2. That said if you want to snatch (no pun intended) some gum-snappin' guidette snapper, go with the Camaro (preferrably in black or "speeding ticket" red). The '67 Jag is a lot more "eye candy" - problem is, it's definitely not a winter car (rear wheel drive) and you would definitely want to garage it.

Mister drool 01-02-2013 04:48 PM

why these particular two vehicles?
Are you getting a good deal on one of these used?
Being serious now and attempting to help the thread a bit, I have to admit I do admire the design of the jaguar. I have a soft spot for classical automobiles, and of course the jaguar is just sublime in taste. Quite like a Casa Ferreirinha wine its for experts only. Regarding both cars performance… can’t help you there, sorry.

goran_ace 01-02-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 7092420)
But remember, we are talking about a chase through suburban streets, so top speeds of 100 plus wouldn't matter much. I guess it would be more about pick-up and quickness and handling.

Racing/chasing through the suburbs is always a bad idea so let's assume the streets are closed off to pedestrians and other traffic.

Depends on the skill of the drivers. Without a long straight the Camaro wouldn't be able to take advantage of the power difference and won't be able to pull away from the Jag without getting aggressive in the turns. That's a lot of power for an average driver to handle and it's more than likely he won't be able to keep it between the curbs. That said, the Jag has a reputation for overheating and might not be able to stand up to the rigors of a spirited chase.

LuckyR 01-02-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 7091207)

Which is better at impressing the womenfolk? I'd go with the Jag...

Bowtiesarecool 01-02-2013 06:14 PM

Ridiculous threads like this are ridiculous.

dParis 01-02-2013 08:15 PM

In order to effectively chase your girlfriend's lover around the neighborhood, you probably want the car to start, so the Camaro will get the nod over the Jag which will have ignition failure sooner rather than later, most likely. But for guys sporting the skinny jean look, a fixed gear Schwinn is most appropriate.

heycal 01-03-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedans Penthouse (Post 7093097)
The XKE's 0-60 times were never that 'wow' to begin with, between 6.8 sec. and 7.2. That said if you want to snatch (no pun intended) some gum-snappin' guidette snapper

Too bad the Trans Am is gone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister drool (Post 7093492)
why these particular two vehicles?
Are you getting a good deal on one of these used?

I have a reason for asking, but not because of possibly purchasing either of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7093544)
Racing/chasing through the suburbs is always a bad idea so let's assume the streets are closed off to pedestrians and other traffic.

Depends on the skill of the drivers. Without a long straight the Camaro wouldn't be able to take advantage of the power difference and won't be able to pull away from the Jag without getting aggressive in the turns. That's a lot of power for an average driver to handle and it's more than likely he won't be able to keep it between the curbs. That said, the Jag has a reputation for overheating and might not be able to stand up to the rigors of a spirited chase.

You win the "best answering the actual question asked" award. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7093659)
Which is better at impressing the womenfolk? I'd go with the Jag...

What about the aforementioned guidettes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dParis (Post 7093983)
. But for guys sporting the skinny jean look, a fixed gear Schwinn is most appropriate.

Indeed. If a man can pull off the skinny jean look, a snazzy car is uneccesary for snatching the aforementioned lady folk.

heycal 01-03-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiesarecool (Post 7093679)
Ridiculous threads like this are ridiculous.

Whoa there. You don't see me trashing your dreary "low tension kevlar" thread, do you?

Dedans Penthouse 01-03-2013 11:22 AM

heycal, my serious take? An XKE wins hands down in the ownership department particularly one that is in (as you said) "excellent" condition. What color btw?

I would only hope that this could be your 'other' (cruising) ride vs. your every day car especially since it's a convertible - I wouldn't want that bad boy subject to ice/snow and the body subject to de-icing salt.

Bowtiesarecool 01-03-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 7094766)
Whoa there. You don't see me trashing your dreary "low tension kevlar" thread, do you?

Ok, I apologize for upsetting you.

So then, precisely which '67 jag are you referring to, because they made 3 different cars that year.

The fact that just about any street car from 40+ years ago will have a huge disadvantage mechanically when compared to something made now notwithstanding, a new Camaro will most certainly beat any of the cars Jaguar made back then, off-the-line, because American muscle cars are designed to A: look pretty, B: have a very low manufacturing cost, using as many parts from other models as possible, and C: go fast in a straight line.

European cars are designed for small, winding roads. Assuming drivers of equal skill, the 67 XKE would probably be able to keep up with the much larger and heavier new Camaro in your suburban street race scenario.

As far as the Challenger vs. Camaro, it's kinda tough to say which would be faster. They each have 4 different engines to choose from, and various other suspension and drivetrain options. Chevy's engines are bigger, heavier and more powerful but the Dodge weighs less. There's no way to accurately compare them without actually racing the two cars head to head.