Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   get certified! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449618)

ten11 01-02-2013 05:30 AM

get certified!

Happy new year, all stringer friends. My new year resolution is to become a certified stringer or become a MRT.

I went to the web site and started looking around. Emailed them about how to get started but would love to hear from you.

I have strung mostly for myself for about 4-5 years. Started with Klippermate and then few different lockout machines. Currently I have a neos 1000.

I still make mistakes during stringing and also slow on string jobs. I want to improve on both and be more confident in my string job. After got certified, I might want to find a part time job in local racquet club.

themitchmann 01-02-2013 06:24 AM

The good news is that you're using the same machine the test uses, so you'll be familiar.

The USRSA has a study guide for both technique as well as racquet and string tech. Once you formally apply, they will send you this material.

seekay 01-02-2013 11:15 AM

The machine can vary depending on where you take the exam. The club I tested at uses Babolat machines and I ended up stringing on a Star 5 for my MRT exam.

I believe you can also arrange to bring your own machine if you feel more comfortable. You get maximum points for finishing your string job in under 45 minutes, which should allow you to take your time and make sure you get everything right, even on an unfamiliar machine.

beernutz 01-02-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 7092271)
The good news is that you're using the same machine the test uses, so you'll be familiar.

The USRSA has a study guide for both technique as well as racquet and string tech. Once you formally apply, they will send you this material.

Is this the study guide you're referring to?
http://www.racquettech.com/certifica...tudyguide.html

cluckcluck 01-02-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekay (Post 7092932)
The machine can vary depending on where you take the exam. The club I tested at uses Babolat machines and I ended up stringing on a Star 5 for my MRT exam.

I believe you can also arrange to bring your own machine if you feel more comfortable. You get maximum points for finishing your string job in under 45 minutes, which should allow you to take your time and make sure you get everything right, even on an unfamiliar machine.

You can bring your own machine. I would take mine as I use floating clamps on my Stringway and have used them for years now.

What's really the point of getting a cert?

Faithfulfather 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

If I had a choice between 2 stringers and one was a certified stringer, I would choose the certified person. It is more professional to have the certification, but is not necessary. Our local stringer is not certified and is not the best, so I started my own business. It is actually starting to take off, so I am in the market for a better machine.

zapvor 01-02-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekay (Post 7092932)

45min? that's cake

MAX PLY 01-03-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7094252)
45min? that's cake

Perhaps, but you don't get any extra credit for being fast. It has been a very long time since I passed the certification test but as I recall it, the racquet must be strung with a two piece method and when I took it, we were required to use (cheap) gut on the mains and a mildly textured synthetic/nylon on the crosses--so every burn, kink or other mistake was very visible. The goal of the certification process is to test the applicant on his/her knowledge of many aspects of racquet services and to test the quality of one's abilities.

If I ran a retail shop, I would make sure that all of my stringers were certified because it assures both quality and is a good advertising point. If stringing is only a hobby, it's a good process to learn more about racquet service but it is not crucial. Nevertheless, I would recommend it if you can afford it--it is a good learning experience.

Faithfulfather 01-03-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX PLY (Post 7094873)
Perhaps, but you don't get any extra credit for being fast. It has been a very long time since I passed the certification test but as I recall it, the racquet must be strung with a two piece method and when I took it, we were required to use (cheap) gut on the mains and a mildly textured synthetic/nylon on the crosses--so every burn, kink or other mistake was very visible. The goal of the certification process is to test the applicant on his/her knowledge of many aspects of racquet services and to test the quality of one's abilities.

If I ran a retail shop, I would make sure that all of my stringers were certified because it assures both quality and is a good advertising point. If stringing is only a hobby, it's a good process to learn more about racquet service but it is not crucial. Nevertheless, I would recommend it if you an afford it--it is a good learning experience.

Exactly what I was thinking. He just said it more eloquently.

owtdoorguy 01-04-2013 09:56 AM

How much does the certification normally cost?

cluckcluck 01-04-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owtdoorguy (Post 7097415)

For MRT, I think it's $495 per year.

For certified stringer, I believe it's $160 for lifetime certification.

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owtdoorguy (Post 7097415)

Assuming you are not a USRSA Member, it's $269, including 1 year of USRSA membership ($119 value). If you are its $150 for CS, and $230 for MRT. Since there are very few locations to take the test, you also have to consider travel expenses.

With so many MRTs out there, there should be more locations, but oddly enough there are not.

fortun8son 01-04-2013 11:12 AM

That's been a factor holding me back.
I'm in Las Vegas and I would have to travel to either San Diego or Phoenix.

cluckcluck 01-04-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7097617)
That's been a factor holding me back.
I'm in Las Vegas and I would have to travel to either San Diego or Phoenix.

I'll be in LV next weekend.

How many MRT's are there in the world? Do most of them travel to tournaments to string?

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 12:20 PM

Not all tour stringers are USRSA MRTs. Some are ERSA/UKRSA or even Yonex certified.

There are a lot MRTs, but only a few are certified to proctor a test.

Wikky 01-04-2013 05:41 PM

If you go faster than 15 minutes or something like that you get points subtracted... I thought that was kind of funny.

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 05:51 PM

Fast stringing does not always equal a quality job. You are required to string with natural gut, and you don't want to notch it prematurely, during the test. You also have to pre-stretch the gut, install a build up grip, replacment grip, and install a new grommet set, in said time frame.

kkm 01-04-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7098470)
Fast stringing does not always equal a quality job. You are required to string with natural gut, and you don't want to notch it prematurely, during the test. You also have to pre-stretch the gut, install a build up grip, replacment grip, and install a new grommet set, in said time frame.

You have to apply a build-up grip and have it okayed by the tester. Then you have to apply a replacement grip and have it okayed by the tester. You're given 20 minutes to remove the old grommet set and install a new grommet set. The strings are unmarked and similar in color, so you have to figure out which is poly and which is natural gut. Manually prestretching the natural gut is not included in the 1-hour time limit for stringing. The 1-hour countdown starts once you mount the racquet and the tester okays that the racquet has been properly mounted. You have to string the racquet with the poly in the mains and the natural gut in the crosses. If you string the racquet in under 20 minutes you're penalized, but you can't take over an hour. Maximum points are for stringing in 20-45 minutes. Things like holding the knot tail up before releasing the machine clamp and trimming the knot tail will make a difference in your score.

drummerdan 01-05-2013 07:57 AM

As an MRT, I found the written test to be the most challenging because you need to know the racquet manufacturers technology terms. Study that a lot.

Also, when you take the stringing section, take your time because I think it's actually an hour you get or maybe it's 45 minutes, I can't remember. Take extra care not to kink the gut. They count off for that. String it at a low tension so there's less chance of breaking the gut. I strung it at 50# for both the gut and syn gut. I was lucky, I took the test on a Wilson Biardo. Love that machine!

Make sure you know how to replace a grommet set and can do it in under 15 minutes. My advice is to take an extra set with you in case you "mushroom" a grommet. Then, you can simply use the new one.

I was lucky, I had Dave Bone (head of USRSA) administer the test and also he gave us a pre-test study session. Invaluable. If you're really serious, consider going to the Grand Slam Stringer's Symposium in the fall in Florida. That's where I took the test and have been there twice. It's a great stringing and tennis experience.

Good luck!!

ten11 01-05-2013 10:24 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Anyone know what is the difference between certified stringer and MRT? My goal is to learn and get better with stringing and hopefully to find a part time stringing job. (For fun and experience, not for income.)

What is the cost to keep the status update after the first year?