Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Art of Tennis. Tappy Larsen died (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449619)

urban 01-02-2013 05:48 AM

Art of Tennis. Tappy Larsen died

Just read that Art 'Tappy' Larsen died in December. He was certainly one of the most colorful, talented and beloved characters in tennis history, a sort of Nasty of the 50s. A lefthander, he was an extremely talented touch player with a great backhand, which was very unusual for lefties in the 50s, and could play on all surfaces, including clay. He won Forest Hills once in 1950 over Herbie Flam, but came close in many other big tournaments, losing the RG final to Trabert in 1954. He showed his versatility by winning US titles on all surfaces, grass, indoor, clay and hard (only Tony Trabert has matched this feat). His career was stopped in 1957 by a motorcycle accident. A blond, handsome guy looking like a young Robert Redford (who plays tennis well), he was known as ladies man, who often had dates in between matches. He was also a war hero, who was engaged in a tank battle in the Normandy in 1944. He showed some weird antics, partly due to the war trauma caused by the battle experience. He always tapped all things before a match and stepped on all lines before beginning a point. When he once played Sedgman at Wimbledon, he saw eagles over his head in the sky. Gordon Forbes could tell hundreds of stories about Tappy, who was extremely popular among his fellow players and the public.
This sunshine of the courts, with so many tragic elements in the background, may well rest in peace.

pc1 01-02-2013 05:51 AM

That's sad news. He was a great talent.

LeeD 01-02-2013 06:40 AM

Sad indeed.
He embraced me into his doubles group at GoldenGatePark in SF around 1976, which I stayed with for a full summer. He'd hit every trick shot and used gamesmanship to the max, just to show what can be done with the mind, over the youthful body.
I'd paid my respects up to the end of my tennis in 1979, thankful for the lessons and instruction.
Rest, however you choose.

Gonzalito17 01-02-2013 07:14 AM

Please share more information on Art Larsen's gamesmanship tactics!

pc1 01-02-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7092382)
Please share more information on Art Larsen's gamesmanship tactics!

I heard a lot of things about him and how superstitious he was. I would love to know more information about him. Some have written that he had the best lefty backhand of all time. That's something considering lefties like Laver, Connors and McEnroe had great backhands.

How good was his backhand LeeD?

Virginia 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

On E*bay a couple of years ago, I picked up one of Larsen's own personal racquets (unstrung and in mint condition, so possibly unplayed), together with a whole bunch of personal photos, letters and newspaper cuttings, from a guy who (together with his father) used to play with him.

$50 the lot with me the only bidder. I treasure that racquet along with my other special woods and I did actually see Larsen play at Wimbledon.

treblings 01-05-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 7092808)
On E*bay a couple of years ago, I picked up one of Larsen's own personal racquets (unstrung and in mint condition, so possibly unplayed), together with a whole bunch of personal photos, letters and newspaper cuttings, from a guy who (together with his father) used to play with him.

$50 the lot with me the only bidder. I treasure that racquet along with my other special woods and I did actually see Larsen play at Wimbledon.

what racquet did he play with?

Virginia 01-06-2013 09:15 AM

He played with the Spalding Krobat, a famous frame in its own right.

treblings 01-06-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 7101541)
He played with the Spalding Krobat, a famous frame in its own right.

thanks, not so well-known in Europe:)